BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Bluetooth Audio question

Anybody have any luck streaming bluetooth audio from your smartphone? Specifically I'm trying tostream Pandora from my Droid phone and not having luck. Most of the time my phone doesnt even show under external devices - Bluetooth. The phone is paired and calls work fine. I looked at "configure this phone" and checked audio as well. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt View Post
Anybody have any luck streaming bluetooth audio from your smartphone? Specifically I'm trying tostream Pandora from my Droid phone and not having luck. Most of the time my phone doesnt even show under external devices - Bluetooth. The phone is paired and calls work fine. I looked at "configure this phone" and checked audio as well. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
I may be wrong, but I think the bluetooth pairing allows only to play songs that are stored into your smart phone, I say this because when I paired up my iphone4 during my test drive, it pulled all the songs from my iphone and I was able to play any of the available songs so I am thinking whatever is in store within iphone is only what it can be played, as I said I may be wrong, but this is what is my understanding. As I do not have my car delivered yet, I will not be able to confirm this to you, or test pandora now, so I will let experts(current owners) talk about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Nah, it should stream anything. I stream pandora to my ford with Sync without issue. I admit I didn't test on the X3 - I did bring my own iphone cord and paired it for calls, but didn't think to play Pandora. With that said, the car isn't smart enough to know WHAT is being sent, it just plays whatever is coming over bluetooth, so if your phone can send Pandora, it will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I've never tried it. But I will tomorrow - if there is no answer to your question yet, I'll post one.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt View Post
Anybody have any luck streaming bluetooth audio from your smartphone? Specifically I'm trying to stream Pandora from my Droid phone and not having luck. Most of the time my phone doesnt even show under external devices - Bluetooth. The phone is paired and calls work fine. I looked at "configure this phone" and checked audio as well. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
I posted about my problem here:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502449

I need to test this more, but so far I've had luck with changing the bluetooth password from "random #" to "0000" (four zeros). It seems that using a real password was causing problems.

I don't know if this will keep working, but I'll soon find out.

Try unpairing the phone from both your car and your phone, and try pairing again.

Also, if your phone is paired with a lot of different devices, try dropping a few. (Mine was paired with the Desk Dock, Car Dock, iPad, Bluetooth speaker, other car's bluetooth, and BMW).

I've now been able to stream A2DP / AVCRP with Google Listen (a podcasting app) without problems.

Let me know if it helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

If I am not adding the Tech Pkg to my 28i, I am assuming I get Bluetooth capabilities as a few have confirmed here -- so with that, can I stream internet radio via Bluetooth on my iPhone and not need to use the Aux cable?

Really?!

Last edited by flash3; 03-17-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Funny I just came back in. Unpaired both phone and vehicle. Repaired and used four zeroes. DROID 2 appears for a brief second where Bluetooth devices normally is but then disappears. Phone is paired and connected via Bluetooth. Calls work fine. Can't get audio to stream still. Came in. Opened up this thread and saw ur suggestion to try just what I did. No luck bu thanks for posting the suggestion. Hopefully someone has figured out something and can help both of us
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

You're running a Motorola Droid? Which version of Android are you using?

(Phone settings, About Phone, Android Version)

I'm running Android v2.3.3. There were major Bluetooth enhancements in going from v.2.1 to v.2.2

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...o-2-2-a-35188/
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
BerkeleyX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 2.8i

I stream music from my iPhone to the x3. Works with slacker radio, mog and the iPod app. It's a little quirky though. It sometimes forgets the phone can stream music and you have to go back to Bluetooth settings and check audio for that phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
You're running a Motorola Droid? Which version of Android are you using?

(Phone settings, About Phone, Android Version)

I'm running Android v2.3.3. There were major Bluetooth enhancements in going from v.2.1 to v.2.2

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...o-2-2-a-35188/
Android version 2.2.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have an iPhone 4 and was able to stream Leo Laporte's TWIT network audio from both WiFi and 3G, and I also streamed (just for fun) the radio stations of the BMW Apps app. I do not have 6NR so the app does not connect to the X3 directly; but it does connect to 3G and plays radio from the iPhone. I have iOS 4.3. The streaming happens through the same AirPlay that I use to stream to an Apple TV. I will post pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
I have an iPhone 4 and was able to stream Leo Laporte's TWIT network audio from both WiFi and 3G, and I also streamed (just for fun) the radio stations of the BMW Apps app. I do not have 6NR so the app does not connect to the X3 directly; but it does connect to 3G and plays radio from the iPhone. I have iOS 4.3. The streaming happens through the same AirPlay that I use to stream to an Apple TV. I will post pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here are the pictures I promised I'd post. In the first one, the BMW App is streaming from my WiFi connection to X3's Bluetooth audio channel. I thought it'd be good to try to really get this thing to work hard and so I streamed a UK station to Canada, just to get the Internet to work a bit more . The second picture shows the particulars of the Bluetooth connection. Note that I have erased times and some of the BT's serial number. Not sure if it is relevant, but with BT, I'm always concerned. The third pictures shows the 3G streaming.

All streaming happened flawlessly and with no interruption during the WiFi-3G handoff. I did experience a break when the car was restarted and inside an underground garage with poor reception.

My 35i seems to handle this with aplomb, However, I had to register my iPhone twice: once as headset and the other as audio headphone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Great effort jijioben. Thanks for posting. I have an internet radio app on my iPhone but i haven't tried to stream it via Bluetooth yet. Might give it a go later.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

WAIT!! Are you all saying my non-nav 2.8i CAN stream stereo BT? When I setup my phone, I never get an option asking me if I want to use it as an audio player, etc. I do have Premium Audio (DIRAC) but no tech package or nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I saw three BT options in the cars. 6NH is standard on all cars, and apparently allows Bluetooth streaming. 639 is BMW Assist with Bluetooth and 6NL is BMW Assist w/extended Bluetooth. I am guessing that these two extra codes will not affect streaming.

Even in a non-nav 28i, and even with the standard system (not even DIRAC) BT should work for streaming audio. I have not tested this though. My car has nav and premium sound system (a choice I highly recommend if you like audio).

A friend of mine has ordered the basic 28i with no additions and as soon as he gets it I'll find out if my phone (proven to work in mine) works in his as well, if no answer still exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
mccun934
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

I didn't think you could stream Bluetooth audio without 6NL. I'll try again but I couldn't see anywhere in my menu settings that would allow Bluetooth audio.

I have a 2.8i without any of the tech or audio packages
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccun934 View Post
I didn't think you could stream Bluetooth audio without 6NL. I'll try again but I couldn't see anywhere in my menu settings that would allow Bluetooth audio.

I have a 2.8i without any of the tech or audio packages
Yes you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you can, how do you do it? I've tried pairing my phone twice. I've even tried two different phones (an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S 4G).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Does anyone know if I should be able to stream iPod audio via Bluetooth using an iPhone 3G (latest OS)? I've seen youtube clips where there is a bluetooth option on iPod on the iPhone but I don't have one. I have the Bluetooth audio source option on my X3 under Music Collection but I don't think my iPhone is capable. Or not using its iPod in any case.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
mccun934
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Yes you can.
I'm really curious how .. I went into all the settings menus and the only place to pair a device was under the Phone menu. My iPhone 3GS was paired correctly and I can make and receive calls just fine.

When I go to the CD/Multimedia menu it only shows USB and Line In/FRONT.

or .. do I need a iPhone 4 ...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #22
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccun934 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Yes you can.
I'm really curious how .. I went into all the settings menus and the only place to pair a device was under the Phone menu. My iPhone 3GS was paired correctly and I can make and receive calls just fine.

When I go to the CD/Multimedia menu it only shows USB and Line In/FRONT.

or .. do I need a iPhone 4 ...
I have an iPhone 4 and I can't stream via Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0