BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Angry Key Cloning & Car Thefts

Just noticed that BBC web site is showing a video of a 3 series key being cloned in 2 minutes.

This is the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

There is also going to be a report on the BCC Watchdog program at 8pm this evening.

From the BBC article it still seems that BMW are in denial but curiously BMW also state "We are already in the process of enhancing the protection of pre-September 2011 X5 and X6 models and have been contacting owners and carrying out the necessary work accordingly."
Not sure if there is a similar problem with the X3 but would imagine that the systems are similar across the model range but X5/X6 are more likely to be stolen.

Not sure what the insurers are going to make of this!

Call me old fashioned but what is wrong with a physical key, at least this gives a further level of security rather than being solely reliant on electronic devices. I would imagine that the remote access keys carry a higher risk.

There also needs to be more security on the OBD connection as this just makes it too easy for a thief with a laptop to hack the security. See many other posts on the forum which cover this in more detail.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's only E series that are vulnerable as far as we know.

See this thread

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685547

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

From the article you highlighted...

None of our latest models - new 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method highlighted."

It looks like you should be OK if you have anything built after September 2011
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
From the article you highlighted...

None of our latest models - new 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series and 7 Series - nor any other BMW built after September 2011 can be stolen using the method highlighted."

It looks like you should be OK if you have anything built after September 2011
If you look at the pistonheads thread (a good read if you have time) there is a lot of debate on what models may or may not be affected. No confirmed reports on F series yet but new X6s have gone (X6 is still E series).

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...eys&mid=346283

I wouldn't believe a word that BMW say as they've known about this problem for months and still deny it exists. My guess is that Sept 2011 represents the date they released a patch for new E Series models but I might be wrong. Of course, if that's the case, they should offer this patch to all of their existing customers whose cars can be stolen in 2 mins without even setting off the alarm. Right?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

FYI There is a new post on pistonheads in the last 20 minutes backing up the "F series not affected" claim from a copper. See link above.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Useful thread- Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Also on Channel 4 news tonight. Just missed it but recording on +1 hour. Good that it's now making the national news. It's a disgrace that BMW have let this go on for so long with their head in the sands. Even though the F25 may not be affected, it has put me off BMW as a company. You could argue other big manufacturers would behave in the same way but I think they should have offered a free fix months ago, or at the very least sent owners advice on protecting against OBD theft

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Totally agree.. regardless of it being an industry problem they way they have treated customers is appalling.

Feel sorry for their facebook team who are now fielding a load of wall posts with their typical condescending reply.

The cars, brilliant.. the corporate company, and the way it treats people, totally crap, always have been, you have to battle everything with them.

The dealer network, some of them are superb, but they are restricted and constrained by group.. a particular word comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just watched Watchdog. Good job. They should also have mentioned that you can smash the window and program the cars without setting off the alarm.

If you missed it, or aren't able to watch it, they had a TV presenter program a new blank key in about 2 minutes and drive an M3 away

BMW are now saying they will fix the gaping hole in their security for free - I think. Nothing on whether on X3 is affected but I don't think any of the F series BMWs are affected. Might give them a call tomorrow to confirm but I think they'll be pretty busy for a while

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
They should also have mentioned that you can smash the window and program the cars without setting off the alarm.
The channel 4 news did say something about windows and the showed plugging into ODBC port - the bit watchdog hid
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
The channel 4 news did say something about windows and the showed plugging into ODBC port - the bit watchdog hid
Yep, just watched C4 news. Not setting off the alarm when you smash the window and stick your arm in is a huge flaw and it should have been mentioned in Watchdog. They also said BMW are now doing something about it like that was a good thing but the disgrace is that they have known about this for so long (they had a fix for existing models in Sept 2011) and they didn't even write to owners to warn them (the police had to do that for them!)

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
That'll upset the insurance companies who have refused to pay out on those unfortunate people because 'it wasn't possible'
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
They also said BMW are now doing something about it like that was a good thing but the disgrace is that they have known about this for so long (they had a fix for existing models in Sept 2011) and they didn't even write to owners to warn them (the police had to do that for them!)
I suspect fix applied to production models may have been a hardware related/dependant so may be difficult to apply to existing cars - though a year to make a software fix (even with safety testing it might require) seems excessive to me.

I am sure that someone mentioned in a thread speaking to channel 4 news about the thefts, so the fact both channel 4 and watchdog reported on same day suggests BMW asked to hold until ready - which is fine for an software security issue not being actively exploited - but once it goes into wild people need to know.

If I had seen the pistonheads thread 24 hours earlier I'm sure I wouldn't have put down a deposit on new BMW, but likely would have gone for a Q5. After reading the post today might have not been a smart move (at least X3 F25 seems not to be target/vulnerable atm)

Last edited by JimmyTheHand; 09-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Just watched Watchdog. Good job. They should also have mentioned that you can smash the window and program the cars without setting off the alarm.
Why doesnt smashing the window set the alarm off?

Not until the media get involved do they act, many of us have been aware of this for months. Shocking customer service.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=39

Appreciate 0