BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Wiper Noise

Hi all x3 2011 owner, have anyone encountered, when using the wiper when it is raining (running on sensor), the wiper reach the end of the windshield (on driver side), it has an annoying sound like rubbing against the end of the windshield.

Also, I noticed that some days (dry day), when I turn of the engine (on the 2nd press of start/stop button), the wiper just moved up and down by about 1cm (like is disabling the wiper when turning off the car engine) - sometimes it does that and sometimes nothing.

The car is only 3 months old

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by degarfs View Post
Hi all x3 2011 owner, have anyone encountered, when using the wiper when it is raining (running on sensor), the wiper reach the end of the windshield (on driver side), it has an annoying sound like rubbing against the end of the windshield.

Also, I noticed that some days (dry day), when I turn of the engine (on the 2nd press of start/stop button), the wiper just moved up and down by about 1cm (like is disabling the wiper when turning off the car engine) - sometimes it does that and sometimes nothing.

Anyone?
The up and down movement is to prevent sticking.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
degarfs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
The up and down movement is to prevent sticking.
Hi, but why the wiper did it some days and not on the other days? Just curious
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Hi, but why the wiper did it some days and not on the other days? Just curious
I couldn't tell you for sure, but I could guess that it's just a periodical thing. If BMW is as cool as they think they are, the rain sensing system could detect dirt on the windshield where the wipers rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Yes, when my wipers move to the top most position there's a slight rubber pop-like noise.
      10-29-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

When I first picked up my car the windshield wipers were chattering (Sticking and jumping when in use) badly. The dealer service dept was a little cofused by this but swapped them out for me which solved the problem. I still get a little bit on sticking/noise when the blades are fully extended and start to wipe back down.

On a side not,what do you have to do to get the blades swung up and off the window for window washing and/or snow scrapping. The blades contact the metal at the bottom of the front window when I try to lift them. I read the procedure in the owners manual, but it didn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid2 View Post
When I first picked up my car the windshield wipers were chattering (Sticking and jumping when in use) badly. The dealer service dept was a little cofused by this but swapped them out for me which solved the problem. I still get a little bit on sticking/noise when the blades are fully extended and start to wipe back down.

On a side not,what do you have to do to get the blades swung up and off the window for window washing and/or snow scrapping. The blades contact the metal at the bottom of the front window when I try to lift them. I read the procedure in the owners manual, but it didn't make sense to me.
When the car is off, press the start button without pressing the pedals, just to turn on the power. Press the start button again to turn it off. Immediately press the windshield wiper level up as far as it goes and hold it for approximately 5 seconds. The wipers will move into the up position so you can lift them off the glass.

When you're done with the windshield, lay the wipers back down onto the glass and press the windshield wiper lever all the way down, the wipers should reset. You may or may not have to turn the start button on/off to get power to the system.
      10-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
CCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 20d

Quote:

Anyone?
We recently had some rain and I realized my wiper was pretty noisy compared to my other car (rubbing pretty hard against the windscreen). I brought it in to the dealer and they said it sounded normal. I told them that I would like to compare it with another X3 and indeed it was pretty quiet compared to mine. They then ordered a new set of wipers for me and I just brought my car back in to replace it last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
This could be anything really.. I get it often, and it depends on the road conditions.. oil on the screen.. some dirty.. could be anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

no probs on mine i have to say.. in fact, it's one of the quietest set of wipers i've ever had..
      10-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
my only complaint w/ the wipers is when on the highest setting in a heavy rain, i feel like they should move faster... maybe the night I observed this it was raining so hard i should have not been out - but i was just heading home
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
rohan_b79
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw X3 xdrive35i

Quote:

Anyone?

I have so far not experienced your first problem, but at the time of turning of the ignition, the wipers are set to park themselves a few millimeters up or down from their mean rest position and this happens only after a few cycles of ignition turningg on and off. This feature is by design and can be seen in other German brands like VW as well. It is to prevent the wiper staying in a position for too long and the rubber trying to bond with the glass at that spot, so they try to change the position every once in a a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
degarfs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL View Post
We recently had some rain and I realized my wiper was pretty noisy compared to my other car (rubbing pretty hard against the windscreen). I brought it in to the dealer and they said it sounded normal. I told them that I would like to compare it with another X3 and indeed it was pretty quiet compared to mine. They then ordered a new set of wipers for me and I just brought my car back in to replace it last weekend.
Hey CCL, how did the new wiper goes? any better?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
TreeSkier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
When the car is off, press the start button without pressing the pedals, just to turn on the power. Press the start button again to turn it off. Immediately press the windshield wiper level up as far as it goes and hold it for approximately 5 seconds. The wipers will move into the up position so you can lift them off the glass.

When you're done with the windshield, lay the wipers back down onto the glass and press the windshield wiper lever all the way down, the wipers should reset. You may or may not have to turn the start button on/off to get power to the system.
Thank you sir ...
Appreciate 0