BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Please help me with the Media Adapter

We picked up our My13 28i last weekend and I've been spending quite a bit of time learning how everything works.

I ordered it with the Tech Package and BMW Apps and I ordered the Media Adapter (84212218390) separately.

Both my wife's iPhone 4 and my 4S are able to run the BMW Apps features just fine with the white cable connected to the USB port.

The problem come when I plug either phone into the Media Adapter. Basically nothing happens. No BMW Apps, and when I click Plugin, I get "No Plugin compatible device connected". The adapter seems to be seated well into its sockets, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Do I have to configure the adapter or tell ConnectDrive that there's an adapter there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I don't think its the USB port you are supposed to be plugging your iPhone into ...

I think you need to get the phone adapter part which snaps into the arm rest, and your phone plugs into that.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I don't think its the USB port you are supposed to be plugging your iPhone into ...

I think you need to get the phone adapter part which snaps into the arm rest, and your phone plugs into that.
Thanks for your reply. The phones work with the USB port, but they don't with the Media Adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Have you enabled bluetooth on the phone? If so is it recognizing the BMW, and have you entered the security code? If you've done all of that, take the media adaptor out of its support and snap it back onto the pins of the holder inside the armrest. If that still doesn't work it may ned a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
mkelsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

I experienced a similar problem with my new X3 and found my media adapter was faulty and needed to be replaced. When you plug your iPhone into it, can you hear the fan spin up?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelsen View Post
I experienced a similar problem with my new X3 and found my media adapter was faulty and needed to be replaced. When you plug your iPhone into it, can you hear the fan spin up?
Thanks for the tip about the fan. And no, the fan does not spin up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Harv_NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
We picked up our My13 28i last weekend and I've been spending quite a bit of time learning how everything works.

I ordered it with the Tech Package and BMW Apps and I ordered the Media Adapter (84212218390) separately.

Both my wife's iPhone 4 and my 4S are able to run the BMW Apps features just fine with the white cable connected to the USB port.

The problem come when I plug either phone into the Media Adapter. Basically nothing happens. No BMW Apps, and when I click Plugin, I get "No Plugin compatible device connected". The adapter seems to be seated well into its sockets, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Do I have to configure the adapter or tell ConnectDrive that there's an adapter there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
When you say Media Adapter are you referring to the Snap-In Adaptor?
I have a 2013 X3, since it was picked up at via PCD, i had to get the Snap-In locally. They couldn't order one for me, as they were told they are on 'freeze' by BMW.

The reason they gave was some performance issue with the adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv_NC View Post
When you say Media Adapter are you referring to the Snap-In Adaptor?
I have a 2013 X3, since it was picked up at via PCD, i had to get the Snap-In locally. They couldn't order one for me, as they were told they are on 'freeze' by BMW.

The reason they gave was some performance issue with the adaptor.
Yes, the snap in adapter. I called it the Media adapter because there are three different kind of adapters.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I had this issue when I took delivery of my 2013 28i.
My solution was to take off the adapter from the cradle and install it again .

Make sure you close out the apps under the double tap home button, might which interferes with ur iPhones ram to make the idrive read it
      05-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

Also make sure that you don't have anything else pluged in like the USB. If there is anything else plugged in the console area mine will not work either. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Your salesperson should have done this for you at delivery. Go by the dealership, find someone versed in this technology (surprising enough many salespeople don't know squat about what they are selling) and make them go over all of this.
      05-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post

Make sure you close out the apps under the double tap home button, might which interferes with ur iPhones ram to make the idrive read it
That's interesting. I read another thread where you're supposed to open BMW app (while disconnected), then hit Information/Check Connection. At that point, the instruction is to insert my iPhone into the Snap-in connector. For me, it's at that point nothing happens and I get a message on the iPhone that "Connectionto vehicle failed".
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post

That's interesting. I read another thread where you're supposed to open BMW app (while disconnected), then hit Information/Check Connection. At that point, the instruction is to insert my iPhone into the Snap-in connector. For me, it's at that point nothing happens and I get a message on the iPhone that "Connectionto vehicle failed".
Glad u found this intresting.

What I ment about regarding the apps is that, the various apps that you previously used, like maps, calculator, weather and etc. You need to close them out manually so that ur iPhones CPU and ram Wong have a hard time processing :P
      05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Closing the loop - It turns out that the problem was with a defective snap-in adapter. I also learned that I need to restart my phone more often.

Thanks for your help!

Cliff
Appreciate 0