BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

X3 Owners with DHP - Need Help!

X3 owners with DHP suspension, I need feedback. Is DHP giving you the ride and handling that you expected when you bought your X3? Do you get a loud "bang" when you go over a speed bump at moderate speeds?

Four days after picking up my X3, I drove over a smallish speed bump at less then 30mph and heard a loud "BANG". I've driven over that bump at that speed or higher, multiple times with multiple cars, including Mercedes, Audi, and BMW with NO problems. Just a small "thump, thump".

The service department replaced the left front strut, thinking that it was bad. Tonight, a test drive showed that the problem still exists. And, on a different set of speed bumps, now the front struts are exhibiting the same problem.

I just got home from the dealer where the shop foreman said that he thinks that this might be a characteristic of DHP. I.e. that the DHP suspension can't react fast enough when you hit even a modest sized speed bump at more than slow speed. And that this produces the loud bang.

I bought DHP to provide better ride and handling. I'm seeing the opposite! If what I'm seeing is true, then DHP is cr@p!

So... X3 owners with DHP - do you get a bad bump and noise when you go over a modest speed bump at say 27 mph? Is this normal?!?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan.

Last edited by BookemDano; 12-24-2015 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Type: Changed "DNP" to "DHP" in a couple places
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
TerraLvr335i
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

I don't get anything like that on my 2014 w/DHP. I try not to hit speed bumps at 30mph, though, so it's possible if I did, the same thing would occur. Sounds like it's hitting the bump stop. Does it make the noise in both Comfort and Sport?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano
X3 owners with DHP suspension, I need feedback. Is DHP giving you the ride and handling that you expected when you bought your X3? Do you get a loud "bang" when you go over a speed bump at moderate speeds?

Four days after picking up my X3, I drove over a smallish speed bump at less then 30mph and heard a loud "BANG". I've driven over that bump at that same speed or higher multiple times with multiple cars, including Mercedes, Audi, and BMW with NO problems. Just a small "thump, thump".

The service department replaced the left front strut, thinking that it was bad. Tonight, a test drive showed that the problem still exists. And on a different set of speed bumps, now the front struts are exhibiting the same problem.

I just got home from the dealer a where the shop foreman said that he thinks that this might be a characteristic of DHP. I.e. that the DHP suspension can't react fast enough when you hit even a modest sized speed bump at more than slow speed. And that this produces the loud bang.

I bought DNP to provide better ride and handling. I'm seeing the opposite! If what I'm seeing is true, then DHP is cr@p!

So... X3 owners with DNP - do you get a bad bump and noise when you go over a modest speed bump at say 27 mph? Is this normal?!?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan.
Is it new? If so, check for shipping blocks...or drive slower over speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I'm over 4 years into a 35i with DHP, and I've never experienced a loud bang when driving over anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

To me, 27MPH is a pretty high speed to be going over a "modest speedbump" I don't go over any speedbump modest or not faster than about 10MPH... Maybe I just don't know what a modest speedbump is. In my area, if someone puts down a speed bump its because they want to keep you below 5MPH. If I run over any speed bump at 27MPH I would surely hear a big bang as my car bottoms out on the speed bump.

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

I have a 35i with DHP and drive over speed bumps/ humps every day...and haven't experienced any issues...but I generally slow down to about 10-15 mph (even slower for the larger/higher "speed humps" as front end will bottom out)!

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

The speed bump is 2-3 inches high and on a street with a 25 MPH speed limit. The purpose is to keep speed down to 25 mph. It is NOT in a parking lot! And it is NOT unreasonable to go 2 MPH over the speed limit!

The X3 xLine should handle mild off roading - logging roads, beach, etc. (Like shown in the X3 brochure.) If it can't do that, it's useless for me.

Dan.

p.s. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had a 2011 35i DHP and have a 2015 35i DHP. Although as a general rule I try not to, I have driven over speed bumps larger than 2-3" high at 25 MPH in Sport Mode and have never heard a loud bang.

Marty
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

Perhaps it's the sunroof cracking noise?
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #10
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
The speed bump is 2-3 inches high and on a street with a 25 MPH speed limit. The purpose is to keep speed down to 25 mph. It is NOT in a parking lot! And it is NOT unreasonable to go 2 MPH over the speed limit!

The X3 xLine should handle mild off roading - logging roads, beach, etc. (Like shown in the X3 brochure.) If it can't do that, it's useless for me.
Its most probably the run flats. The sound is the recoil of the suspension, which sounds like a massive thud. Have noticed a similar issue in my vehicle with VDC. I'm planning on switching to regular tubeless soon, hopefully this will be sorted out. When I had runflats on my E90 I would notice a similar noise, which reduced a large amount after switching the runflats. Though it still happens once in a while which I guess we can't escape with the stiff suspension on these Bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post

Four days after picking up my X3, I drove over a smallish speed bump at less then 30mph and heard a loud "BANG". I've driven over that bump at that speed or higher, multiple times with multiple cars, including Mercedes, Audi, and BMW with NO problems. Just a small "thump, thump".

The service department replaced the left front strut, thinking that it was bad. Tonight, a test drive showed that the problem still exists. And, on a different set of speed bumps, now the front struts are exhibiting the same problem.

I just got home from the dealer where the shop foreman said that he thinks that this might be a characteristic of DHP. I.e. that the DHP suspension can't react fast enough when you hit even a modest sized speed bump at more than slow speed. And that this produces the loud bang.

I bought DHP to provide better ride and handling. I'm seeing the opposite! If what I'm seeing is true, then DHP is cr@p!

So... X3 owners with DHP - do you get a bad bump and noise when you go over a modest speed bump at say 27 mph? Is this normal?!?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan.
Sounds like your suspension bottom out, are you driving in sport mode? I am sure those 19" tires do not help either. Try it in comfort mode and see if it does the same thing and check your tire pressure. The DHP is just a fancy name for adjustable suspension. The active portion of the suspension system is not that advance, it has to detect the bump first, then it try to adjust afterward. If you are expecting handling and comfort at the same time, DHP will not do that for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

never a problem on my end, Love DHP, and I averaged about 18 mph over regular speed bumps
Appreciate 0