BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Arrow Paint Protection and Leather Protection

Going to get our X3 soon and dealer has offered (This is Melbourne, Australia) the usual protection package.

This one is by MotorOne, Platinum Smart.

HiGloss Pain Protection TiO2
Leather preserver
Carpet and Fabric Protector
Vinyl Conditioner
Smart Membership for dents and scratches.

Now from what I know, paint protection is always bs. It's always done by a 3rd party with just glorified paint sealant.

We are going to have oyster leather though, but I don't think with a leather preserver it will stop blue jean stains.

The smart members for pressure dents and scratches really doesn't apply to most damages, such as larger scrapes such as idiots scratching the corners of your cars when parking, and in the terms and conditions, it says dents where the paint has been damaged isn't included, which really doesn't help much, as dents where the paint isn't damaged are barely noticeable anyway.

I was thinking of just getting my own 3rd party to do it for a few hundred vs the $1399 BMW is asking. They just say it is resistant to stains, not stain proof.

I did my black Honda CRV luxury myself with paint sealant and it is just fine.

The exterior colour is going to be carbon black, I know jet black is a nightmare but I'm not sure about carbon black, to be honest I've never even seen it in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

What kind of warranty does it give you? Having it done over doing it yourself has some benefits (ie. lifetime guarantee against fading or oxidization or accidental rips and tears on your seats etc... ). Leather protection wont prevent stains but it will prevent dryness which leads to cracking down the road.

I'd see if you can bring that price down a tad with some type of guarantee.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Dealer add-on warranties of any kind are highly profitable for the dealer. That means they are always a premium cost to you with little or no value.This includes "magic treatments" that protect paint, uphostery, etc.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Never purchased these types of protection options and never missed either. Not sure what you are really getting.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I received my X3 two weeks ago.

I went here http://www.finalinspection.com.au/

He knows his stuff. Awesome paint protection all for about $400.

Damian is passionate about his work. Can't recommend them enough.
      10-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Yeah have heard about them. Not sure I want a brand new car polished though?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

I was looking at just doing the Zaino Z-CS right on it after we receive the car. Anybody used this product on carbon black before?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkntigr View Post
I got them to put paint protection on. Cheaper and better than BMW.
      10-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70IP View Post
I got them to put paint protection on. Cheaper and better than BMW.
How much did that cost you?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it, and often after dealer delivery there will be marrings etc on your paint. It is important to polish those up before a sealant is applied.

The latest is permanent sealants such as Opticoat and Gtenique C1.

Seen some photos from members by final inspection, and they do a fantastic job. Forget leather - just need to clean and condition it once a while, and nothing beats aerospace 303 for fabric protection (carpet) and vinyl protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
mdavis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M-sport loaded

Spend some time on Autopia.

You'll want Opti-Guard - the pro-only version or OC-2. It is considered the best of the permanent coatings, but really needs to be applied by a pro.

We're having it put on our car the day we take delivery...
      10-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How much did that cost you?
About $480. $176 was the two hour prep to get the "dealer" crap off the car and strip the car to the paint only. Then polish and protection. The result is insanely good. Used the website to learn how to clean the car properly.
      10-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:
About $480. $176 was the two hour prep to get the "dealer" crap off the car and strip the car to the paint only. Then polish and protection. The result is insanely good. Used the website to learn how to clean the car properly.
Just had another phone call from the BMW lady today. She guarantees that the coating will NEVER come off, that I would not need to get it re-applied every 6 months, that if it wasn't in the condition the car was given to me, then they would 'fix' it.

From that, I am guessing it is a permanent coating BMW have arranged with Motorone.

I'm just wondering if final inspection could do a permanent one too and give that guarantee? I WOULD LOVE to do all the sealing and waxing myself, but time really is scarce these days - and I know I always lost patience and leave residue on the doors and miss all the dirty parts in the doorways.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Hi Drunk,

I'm a Melbourner also and I dealt with the lady at BMW Melbourne who sells the aftermarket services. I just agreed with the UV window tint (which is still expensive at $840!!) but refused the $3,300 protection package you mention. When I ordered the car in may I told the dealer I would get the treatment done at Mr Gloss in Moorabbin and he agreed that it would be at least as good and much cheaper. I have black sapphire so i wanted to protect it well and went with the GTechniq paint protection package for $600 including the wheels being treated.

The GTechniq treatment is a crystal formulation which uses nano technology to not sit on the paint but it BECOMES the duco. So you have a perfectly smooth finish which is permanent and will no longer require soaping when washing except if it is really dirty. Most of the time all you have to do is just hose it down and then dry with a microfibre towel. No swirls, no bird poo, no UV, no bat poo etc etc. And for 20% of BMW's cost. They also have products for trim, leather and cloth as well as glass. All very reasonably priced. Give Graeme a call at Mr Gloss in Moorabbin and as him about the GTechniq treatment. Brendan does the treatments and he has been there for 16 years and is a gun. Speak to people in the industry and you'll find Mr Gloss is one of the best in Australia. That's why they are preferred BMW and Lambo repairers. And no, I don't work for them. Am just a fan. And if you read my other post re my 8 day old X3 30d you'll find out why!

Here is GTechniq's Aussie website. A guy in Moorabbin imports it. http://australia.gtechniq.com/ Their leather treatment is particularly good for light coloured leather

Last edited by Steve30dMSport; 10-31-2011 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: to add the website
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
Hi Drunk,

I'm a Melbourner also and I dealt with the lady at BMW Melbourne who sells the aftermarket services. I just agreed with the UV window tint (which is still expensive at $840!!) but refused the $3,300 protection package you mention. When I ordered the car in may I told the dealer I would get the treatment done at Mr Gloss in Moorabbin and he agreed that it would be at least as good and much cheaper. I have black sapphire so i wanted to protect it well and went with the GTechniq paint protection package for $600 including the wheels being treated.

The GTechniq treatment is a crystal formulation which uses nano technology to not sit on the paint but it BECOMES the duco. So you have a perfectly smooth finish which is permanent and will no longer require soaping when washing except if it is really dirty. Most of the time all you have to do is just hose it down and then dry with a microfibre towel. No swirls, no bird poo, no UV, no bat poo etc etc. And for 20% of BMW's cost. They also have products for trim, leather and cloth as well as glass. All very reasonably priced. Give Graeme a call at Mr Gloss in Moorabbin and as him about the GTechniq treatment. Brendan does the treatments and he has been there for 16 years and is a gun. Speak to people in the industry and you'll find Mr Gloss is one of the best in Australia. That's why they are preferred BMW and Lambo repairers. And no, I don't work for them. Am just a fan. And if you read my other post re my 8 day old X3 30d you'll find out why!

Here is GTechniq's Aussie website. A guy in Moorabbin imports it. http://australia.gtechniq.com/ Their leather treatment is particularly good for light coloured leather
Unfortunately Moorabbin is just too far. I am very interested in the Gtechniq though.

It's unfortunate that even the crystal only lasts 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #16
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi Drunk,

Was actually talking to BMW today and they have confirmed they now use the Gtechniq treatment.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Well that's interesting that BMW are using GTechniq as well now. So I guess it comes down to price then. The C1 crystal treatment on the paintwork and the wheel protectant is about $650 at Mr Gloss (you drop the car off on a Friday arvo and pick it up the following morning around 11am) as the C1 needs to be professionally applied due to its rapid curing process. But the leather and trim protector is only about $100 for the product and can be applied yourself quite easily. Whichever way you go I am sure the result will be excellent and you'll be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well that's interesting that BMW are using GTechniq as well now. So I guess it comes down to price then. The C1 crystal treatment on the paintwork and the wheel protectant is about $650 at Mr Gloss (you drop the car off on a Friday arvo and pick it up the following morning around 11am) as the C1 needs to be professionally applied due to its rapid curing process. But the leather and trim protector is only about $100 for the product and can be applied yourself quite easily. Whichever way you go I am sure the result will be excellent and you'll be very happy.
Yes I think I have finally found my answer, thank you very much Steve! for the GTechniq recommendation.

BMW is pretty much double the price, but when you consider after 2 years when the protection wears off, we will be going back and getting them to reapply it, I guess it turns out the same.

Just with the leather, BMW warrants it - I can't remember how much they charge for it. But for $55 for the L1 leather guard, I honestly reckon I'll just do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #19
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just had another phone call from the BMW lady today. She guarantees that the coating will NEVER come off, that I would not need to get it re-applied every 6 months, that if it wasn't in the condition the car was given to me, then they would 'fix' it.

From that, I am guessing it is a permanent coating BMW have arranged with Motorone.

I'm just wondering if final inspection could do a permanent one too and give that guarantee? I WOULD LOVE to do all the sealing and waxing myself, but time really is scarce these days - and I know I always lost patience and leave residue on the doors and miss all the dirty parts in the doorways.
It's funny but my attitude with certain things have changed as I age. All of 39 years!!
If I want to go on a holiday to Queensland and I won't to fly I don't do it myself. I pay an airline to fly me there.
If I want to install a new AC unit I get a professional to do it.
If I want to paint my daughters bedroom I'll do it.

There is a line here somewhere depending on your experience and knowledge.

When it comes to my BMW. A $80000 investment I'll get a professional to do anything to my car.
I actually got roof racks the other day and stood by why the mechanic installed them so I could watch and learn. If I try to apply this stuff to my X3 I could stuff it up and do who knows what to my car. For the sake of $600 it's less than 1% of the cost of the car to protect it for 2 years.

My two cents.
      11-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Quote:

When it comes to my BMW. A $80000 investment I'll get a professional to do anything to my car.
I actually got roof racks the other day and stood by why the mechanic installed them so I could watch and learn. If I try to apply this stuff to my X3 I could stuff it up and do who knows what to my car. For the sake of $600 it's less than 1% of the cost of the car to protect it for 2 years.

My two cents.
Yeah I have decided to get BMW to do it.

At under 30 years of age, I've now learnt, that if something goes wrong, it's worth paying a little bit extra to have someone to blame. BMW I don't think, it going to close up shop anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #21
drunkntigr
Private
Rep

Just an update:

Have stepped back from getting anything done at BMW as have talked to the Gtechnique guys and they said BMW isn't one of their authorised detailers, nor is motorone.

Motorone I believe only does their tints however, and it's a separate contractor who does the paintwork for BMW - so I am not sure whether it's possibly the contractor who use the Gtechnique product?

I couldn't get a definite answer out of the lady so I'm just going to get Steve's guy to do it.

It's all a bit annoying though. especially with the other op above who has the paint issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I always insist on NOT paying for it, and always get it free.
I insist the "Body shop" apply it as well, as these other cowboys who are employed just to put it on new cars are very "Slap dash".