BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
35i LED turnsignals and brakelights retrofit

The fact that BMW put xenon hid headlights, led headlight rings, and led taillights on my x3 is nice and as expected. But what were they thinking putting standard incandescent turnsignals and brake lights!!! I know there are led bulbs out there that fit in the standard slots and I want to get them. Anyone know what bulbs will work on the F25??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

and standard brake lights! GRRR
      10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
singh073
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe

I'm interested to know as well. LED Madness...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
vanheiser
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 330i LCI

I changed my signal light to a Canbus Error free 7507. It work fine and I think it look great and not to mention it was really easy to change the bulb. Takes about 3mins to get them both changed.

Here's the link of the bulb I got: Link
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

To be honest, I don't get the fascination with LED turn signals. They're secondary to brake signals. The performance advantage is more relevant with LED brake lamps I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
To be honest, I don't get the fascination with LED turn signals. They're secondary to brake signals. The performance advantage is more relevant with LED brake lamps I think.
You're right- turn signals is just more of an aesthetic. But going all LED, keeps a great homogenous look. Take a look at the rear of a 5, 6 or 7.
      10-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
StepfordBMW
Captain Amazing
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
You're right- turn signals is just more of an aesthetic. But going all LED, keeps a great homogenous look. Take a look at the rear of a 5, 6 or 7.
      10-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
chx437
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3(G01)

Here are some hints on the LED turning signal lights and brake lights for the X3(F25). My experience is from Europe but I suppose the rear lights are quite similar in US model. The product example links below direct to a good German web store specialized for LED bulbs but the same LED products are hopefully available from other sources as well.

Rear turning signal:

So the rear turning signal (blinker) bulb is originally clear PY21W (21W normal incandescent lamp) with BA15S base. There is a rather strong amber filter (diffusor) in front of the bulb, so the replacing LED bulb has to be quite effcient. My alternative for the rear blinker bulb is here: amber colored 9W LED for BA15S base with 5 watt CREE on the tip and 4 times 1 W LEDs on the sides:

http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/led-bl...s-p21w-orange/

Front turning signal:

In front at least in the European model the turning signal bulb is originally amber PY21W (also 21W incandescent lamp) with BAU15S base. Note that the base for the clear and the amber PY21W bulbs are different: for the amber bulb the base has asymmetric positions for the small nodules on the sides. My alternative here is amber colored 9W LED for BAU15S base with 5 watt CREE on the tip and 4 times 1 W LEDs on the sides:

http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/led-bl...-py21w-orange/

Parallel resistors needed for LED blinker bulbs:

With the blinker bulbs my X3(F25) has very strict in-built control: the bulb has to pass through at last 1.5 – 1.6 A current to be validated Ok by the car control computer. If the current is less, then an error message is shown on the display (and the blinker on/off cycle time gets faster). So with the LED blinker bulbs, which use less current, I have to add parallel power resistors (10 ohms/25W, one for each LED bulb) to keep the control computer happy. I couldn’t place these relatively big resistors into the rear light housing but instead I placed them on the sides in the trunk. I first have to dig out the cabling in the trunk sides going towards the rear light housing and especially toward the blinker bulbs and then connecting the resistors parallel to those wires. I fastened the resistors into small aluminum plates (for cooling) and then I installed the plates (with the resistor) into the trunk sides (under the side covers), where there actually were plenty of room for these small additions.

In front the turning signal bulb is installed on a small “disc” which can be removed as one peace with the bulb from the back of the headlight housing (inside the motor room). There is no place either in the headlight housing for the needed parallel resistors so I had to get wires through those small plastic discs and then I installed the power resistors (fixed into cooling plates) on the sides of the engine room.

Brake light:

The original brake light bulb is again a clear P21W with BA15S base. My LED alternative for that is a red LED bulb with 4 LEDs (1 W each):

http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/led-fu...a15s-p21w-rot/

Brake lights bulbs are easier to install: at least in my car the control system was gentler for the brake bulbs and no additional resistors were needed when using the LEDs

One additional note:

The above referred LEDs are not accepted in the in the official vehicle inspections (at least not in most European countries) so one has to take this into consideration when planning such modifications.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
Will these work in the tails and rear signals. I have the amber version of these in the front and they work great, only slightly dimmer than stock at some angles. I was able to fit the amber PY21W fronts in the P21W rear and it is noticeably dimmer. If I get these in red will it be brighter or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pair-8W-Ca...2880ba&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Check out this thread, we all did the same thing:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764176
Appreciate 0