BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Trailer Hitch problem - beware.

I've had the (US version) trailer hitch on my '11 X3 since mid 2012. I do not use it very often but have been pleased with it until now.

The latch on the right side of the removable receive seems to have broken internally and I am no longer able to remove it. So, it now sticks out the back about 5 inches or so and is a huge safety hazard. While I might be able to disassemble the hitch without having to remove the entire assembly, I seriously doubt if I can buy the replacement parts separately.

This is the second BMW accessory (the other was the roof racks) that I've had problems with - both are very poorly constructed in their attachment mechanisms.

The car is fine, the accessories seem to be crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

I opted to buy the Curt hitch and while I'm only towing a small 16' catamaran it's handled the weight well and has shown no signs of failure/strain problems.

If it's not a issue for you, you could probably just buy the Curt Hitch- though you are gonna have to cut a little hole in the underskirt if it's not already done for your hitch.

For the cost of labor/replacement parts you might just be better off ordering this:

http://www.amazon.com/CURT-13107-Cla...t+hitch+bmw+x3

I'm not sure what your options are with hooking up the lights, though, given that you have the OEM trailer lights installed.

I did it with my Dad and it's fairly easy- only takes an hour or two at most.

What issues have you had with the roof rails? I havent used mine yet but was planning on putting a ski rack on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not a problem with the roof rails but do not buy the BMW rack - get the Thule or Yakima instead. The BMW rack broke the second or third time I went to put it on the rack and it is not repairable. Very poorly designed.

On the trailer hitch it looks like I can unbolt the stuck pieces and remove them but I doubt the receiver is available as a separate product. Still looking into this before I work on the one on the car
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Please post images of the problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
I've had the (US version) trailer hitch on my '11 X3 since mid 2012. I do not use it very often but have been pleased with it until now.

The latch on the right side of the removable receive seems to have broken internally and I am no longer able to remove it. So, it now sticks out the back about 5 inches or so and is a huge safety hazard. While I might be able to disassemble the hitch without having to remove the entire assembly, I seriously doubt if I can buy the replacement parts separately.

This is the second BMW accessory (the other was the roof racks) that I've had problems with - both are very poorly constructed in their attachment mechanisms.

The car is fine, the accessories seem to be crap.
I had a similar issue with my hitch last year. The dealer was able to remove it for me and I was able to buy a replacement but it was almost $300. Kind of pricey but better than buying the whole kit.
      05-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Please post images of the problems.
Not really possible to post pictures - I threw the BMW Roof rack away maybe two years ago. The adjuster used to tighten the rack onto the rails strips out. The pins holding the entire latch in place are not able to be pushed out to remove and repair the stripped section. Again, do not buy the BMW Roof rack...

On the hitch, it's stuck in place because the internals of the level on the right side of the receiver have broken and the release mechanism no longer functions. Without engagement, the receiver cannot be removed from the base of the hitch.

There are 3 bolts holding the entire mechanism in place. Unfortunately, there is not enough clearance to use a breaker bar to remove the bolts and then try to figure out a way to remove the receiver. The car will need to be on a lift in order to get to these bolts. Then it sounds like I am almost back to square one with the hitch....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
wingless
Private
Rep

Why not just remove the bumper skin and expose the hitch fram for unfettered access?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why not just remove the bumper skin and expose the hitch fram for unfettered access?

The rest of the hitch (receiver part) is in the way to reach the bolts that need to be removed. With the receiver stuck in place, the only way to get to them is from below.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
wingless
Private
Rep

The 2011 X3 must be significantly different from the 2015 X3.

This topic shows my 2015 hitch installation, including the bumper skin removal.

On mine, the bumper skin can be removed w/ the hitch in-place.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:45 AM   #10
wingless
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
The rest of the hitch (receiver part) is in the way to reach the bolts that need to be removed. With the receiver stuck in place, the only way to get to them is from below.
Why not just post images showing why the bumper skin is blocked for removal?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Great post. May have a few questions for you in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Your hitch is substantially different (and much better designed) than mine. The receiver on mine slips directly into the hitch base with a knob on the right side - pics to follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is the knob with broken internals:

One of three bolts to remove - note interference with hitch bracket:

You can see two more bolts above it. They are on very tightly, will need a breaker bar to remove and not enough room from the side since my breaker bar does not ratchet. However, IF I can get the bolts out, the receiver and the "box" it slides into will come out and maybe I can separate them, put the box back in and get a new receiver...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Why not just use a die grinder to cut the receiver off and then remove the bumper skin to remove the trailer hitch. Then just order the much simpler and more robust Curt hitch to replace it. I have the Curt hitch on mine and love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
Why not just use a die grinder to cut the receiver off and then remove the bumper skin to remove the trailer hitch. Then just order the much simpler and more robust Curt hitch to replace it. I have the Curt hitch on mine and love it.
That may be the solution but first I hope to convince BMW that they should sell me a new receiver for cheap (hah!) instead of the expense of a totally new solution.

Had not heard of the Curt hitch - will look it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #16
wingless
Private
Rep

Thanks of the images.

It still looks to me like the bumper skin could be detached and removed, even with the the hitch receiver attached. It looks like there is room to shift it away from the vehicle w/ the gap shown.

Those difficult to remove bolts would be easy w/ the bumper skin removed, just like when it was installed.

2011 BMW OEM Hitch

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #17
wingless
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
Then just order the much simpler and more robust Curt hitch to replace it. I have the Curt hitch on mine and love it.
There are two things that I like better on the Invisihitch and the OEM BMW hitch versus the Curt hitch.

One is the hitch is hidden, except when looking up from under the vehicle.

The other is that the OEM bumper reinforcement must be removed to install the hitch. The Invisihitch and the OEM both put steel back where the aluminum was removed. The Curt drops down low in a U shape.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #18
wingless
Private
Rep

One advantage of the Invisihitch over the OEM hitch, the Curt hitch and all those w/ the standard 2" square receiver is that the Invishitch ball carrier fits into a tight-fit tapered receptacle, so there is NO slop between the ball carrier and the hitch.

The Invisihitch makes NO noise when pulling an unloaded trailer, unlike every single 2" square receiver I've ever used.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #19
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One advantage of the Invisihitch over the OEM hitch, the Curt hitch and all those w/ the standard 2" square receiver is that the Invishitch ball carrier fits into a tight-fit tapered receptacle, so there is NO slop between the ball carrier and the hitch.

The Invisihitch makes NO noise when pulling an unloaded trailer, unlike every single 2" square receiver I've ever used.
The Invisihitch definitely looks like the best option...I spoke with the Parts Manager last week, they will try to take it off and replace the receiver under warranty I'll let you all know how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
wingless
Private
Rep

The best option is a warranty repair.

They will remove the bumper skin to access the hitch components.

Maybe there is strategically placed lubricaton that would prevent future failures. Is there anything about lubrication provided in the instructions?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #21
wingless
Private
Rep

Here are the BMW OEM X3 Hitch Installation Instructions.

The first / last steps are R/R of the bumper cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #22
Jonesy78
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

I have an F25 with electric towing hitch. Now it will not lock in outer position, but reverts back underneath. Anyone had similar problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0