BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
gc3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i

To Clear Bra or Not To Clear Bra - that is the question

I'm wavering on the fence whether to get some paint protection products for my shiny new toy. I can sort out which brand I want (between 3M Pro or Expel Pro), but am still weight the cost benefit of dropping another $895 (gotta get the premium product if I'm going to do this).

What do folks here think?
      12-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
BigJake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

Get it.

I regret having my dealer do it and wish I went somewhere else. I had them re-apply 3x due to bubbles.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
gerald325i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 [f25]

I considered this when I first got my X3, but I'm glad I didn't. I've read about people who had issues, like bubbles or coming off. My thinking is this: I used to buy the floor mat covers, and the steering wheel covers, and the clear bra, and 4-5 years later I was ready for another newer can...and what do we do to sell the car? We put the original mats and remove the steering wheel cover, and do you get more money for a newer car? NO! the person who purchases the car pays you the same and gets to enjoy a car you never did, because you were "saving" it for them! Does your insurance have "road-hazard" protection in case somethig jumps up and puts a ding on your hood? Most likely so, so why spend money to save the insurace company some?

My take is, unless you are going to keep your car until it is an antique and your house becomes a museum, enjoy your car the way it came!
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
I think you should, i regret not gettin it done upon delivery
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

opti coating may be a better choice?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald325i View Post
I considered this when I first got my X3, but I'm glad I didn't. I've read about people who had issues, like bubbles or coming off. My thinking is this: I used to buy the floor mat covers, and the steering wheel covers, and the clear bra, and 4-5 years later I was ready for another newer can...and what do we do to sell the car? We put the original mats and remove the steering wheel cover, and do you get more money for a newer car? NO! the person who purchases the car pays you the same and gets to enjoy a car you never did, because you were "saving" it for them! Does your insurance have "road-hazard" protection in case somethig jumps up and puts a ding on your hood? Most likely so, so why spend money to save the insurace company some?

My take is, unless you are going to keep your car until it is an antique and your house becomes a museum, enjoy your car the way it came!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
opti coating may be a better choice?
opti coat wont protect your paint..it just gives the "wet look" easier to wash.

i had the opti coat done
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

i had the opti coat done
i thought it adds additional layer of clear coating.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

i had the opti coat done
i thought it adds additional layer of clear coating.
That's right.

http://www.opti-coat.com

Opti-Coat (Opti-Guard) is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork. TuV Rheinland tested. Go to our webshop or download MSDS
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
opt coat wont protect paint from nicks/chips from debris on the road.

once opti coat is applied you can definitely tell the difference after a wash

Csurf is correct
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

Would say no, besides bug splat on the front, after two years all blemishes are between the two rear doors and the back of the vehicule. People getting out of their cars in parking lots will be a major contributor.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90
opt coat wont protect paint from nicks/chips from debris on the road.

once opti coat is applied you can definitely tell the difference after a wash

Csurf is correct
In theory- opticoat should save your paint from minor road abrasion. It just requires 'cutting' into it (rather than the clear) to polish out.

OP- if you're looking at films. Xpel is incredible. Self healing clear coat, can be waxed, won't yellow, etc. It also doesn't come precut like the 3M kit, which means fewer seams/lines... but of course, higher cost to install.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #13
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i should take it back to my detailer and see if he can fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
In theory- opticoat should save your paint from minor road abrasion. It just requires 'cutting' into it (rather than the clear) to polish out.

OP- if you're looking at films. Xpel is incredible. Self healing clear coat, can be waxed, won't yellow, etc. It also doesn't come precut like the 3M kit, which means fewer seams/lines... but of course, higher cost to install.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

I had the 3m clear bra installed on my Audi a4 and BMW x3. I love it. no bubbles and looks great. I chose a custom size because I found the standard template they had covered too much hood - more protection but too much film on the hood.
But to be honest, if you want to be really cool don't do it. I've never seen a show car with clear bra. Period. I just prefer to be practical and stone chips really annoy me.

Last edited by bmkman; 01-20-2015 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #15
wingless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i

The clear films are good until they start to get funny from age or sun, then get them off fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The clear films are good until they start to get funny from age or sun, then get them off fast.
really? I never had that problem in Canada...but then again I don't get as much sun and heat as you guys have in Florida.

Ok, correction 2 generations ago I did notice some fading on the bra. If you do the math and get a good deal on the paint job it might be cheaper to repaint.

Last edited by bmkman; 01-20-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

My current F30 is the first Bimmer I haven't Xpelled after 4. A couple minor chips, but I like the look better. And I won't get any more money or less money when I sell her.
      12-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
I had my M3 for 6 years with Xpel and living in SoCal, no fading issues or funny stuff.
      12-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #19
Cinvinman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

I had the bumper cover, headlights, front fenders, front hood and door cups done by a guy who has done three other cars for me over the years. The films just get better and better and avoiding stone chips saves lots of annoyance. Not to mention the cost of replacing a cracked headlight is greater than the cost of the entire film package.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:44 AM   #20
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandic24 View Post
+1
+2
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #21
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I actually got the CarPro CQuartz Finest V6 done immediately 2 days after the delivery. The gloss and shine is really awesome. I know waxing can give same results but just temporary. Mine is light color - alpine white and hence I was worried about oxidation and stuff making the color yellowish over few years.
Also to front and rear bumper corners and mirror caps I had 3M paint protective film applied since a lot of bikes come too close to vehicle and scratch it unintentionally. Didn't get the bonnet done though.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 04:24 AM   #22
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this approach. For years and years I have looked after my cars to the point where they have had the best paint protection available to them. I have spent a lot of money doing this,but after always selling back to the trade, the dealer still only gives the trade price for it.
Appreciate 0