BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
xaos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Exhaust flap actuator noise?

Does anyone else have a regular and noticeable noise coming from the actuator which controls the exhaust flap? It is very noticeable in my '13 28i most often when the transmission is shifting in the lower gears, but sometimes it's noticeable at speed with minor variations in throttle position. It seems to be more prevalent when in Sport or EcoPro modes, but Comfort mode is not completely exempt.

It's a "pressure release/clicking sound" that one might expect from the actuator, but it's loud enough to easily hear in the cabin. The actuator is located behind the access panel in the rear left of the vehicle (where the *cough* 'tool kit' is stored). If I drive with that panel removed it is extremely loud and I can physically feel it 'clicking' if I'm touching the actuator during a shift, so I know for certain that the actuator is the source of the noise.

Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this regularly?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaos View Post
Does anyone else have a regular and noticeable noise coming from the actuator which controls the exhaust flap? It is very noticeable in my '13 28i most often when the transmission is shifting in the lower gears, but sometimes it's noticeable at speed with minor variations in throttle position. It seems to be more prevalent when in Sport or EcoPro modes, but Comfort mode is not completely exempt.

It's a "pressure release/clicking sound" that one might expect from the actuator, but it's loud enough to easily hear in the cabin. The actuator is located behind the access panel in the rear left of the vehicle (where the *cough* 'tool kit' is stored). If I drive with that panel removed it is extremely loud and I can physically feel it 'clicking' if I'm touching the actuator during a shift, so I know for certain that the actuator is the source of the noise.

Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this regularly?
Yes, but it didn't bother me in my 35i. I unplugged the actuator because I want more noise.

My advice? Unplug it, dear. That N20 is quiet enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

You must have long arms . . .
      01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Yes, but it didn't bother me in my 35i. I unplugged the actuator because I want more noise.

My advice? Unplug it, dear. That N20 is quiet enough.

Did it to mine as well. Very easy to unplug and plug back in if need be.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
boogysbmw
Noice
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX 50drive

Garage List
I unplugged it in my N20 but the noise was worse, You could hear exhaust drone in the cabin. I went back and plugged it in.

2023 BMW X1 xDrive28i - Portimao Blue Metallic / Black perforated /Shadowline/ M sport / premium package
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
You must have long arms . . .
your reply just cracked me up!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I hear the same thing, I think it's normal. I tried unplugging mine and the drone didn't bother me but there's a weird resonant rattle around 2k RPM that's really weird. Almost seems like the flap itself is vibrating when it isn't connected to anything to hold it once it hits its resonant frequency. It's pretty annoying so I plugged it back in.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Has anyone been able to find the coding for Forward Warning (as opposed to Lane Departure Warning)?
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
Has anyone been able to find the coding for Forward Warning (as opposed to Lane Departure Warning)?
You may want to repost your question on this thread on coding since your question doesn't relate to the current topic:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715297
Appreciate 0