BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

is M Sport a poser car?

I know this has been discussed in threads before, but I thought I would ask the question again, knowing that owners of the M Sport will say no, and owners of true Ms will probably say yes.

I have owned 2 Ms before and currently own an AMG, and like everyone else I have seen TRUE poser cars out in the wild, you know that old 318 with the emblem taken off and the M3 added, or people who don't even bother to do that and just stick the M emblem next to the 3XX emblem,

I ended up getting the package with my X3 because I like the trim better and the M steering wheel is so nice.

To me a poser car is one that wants people to think its something that it isn't and I don't think M Sport cars qualify as that. No where on the outside of M Sport cars does it say M (well not yet, hopefully BMW doesn't ever do that, like S-Line). anything that does say "M" on the car have every right to do so because its an M part, like the M Wheels or Steering wheel. Not a huge fan of the floor panels as I don't see the need for that, but oh well.

Now I would never add an M Emblem, but is adding an M Vinyl window sticker (small one in corner of rear window) going too far? to me its showing that I am a fan of the M Division, not trying to say my car is an M, but I guess it could be viewed that way...

BMW is going to continue to push the "M Sport" packages because they are huge margin items for them, but as long as they keep it under control by just using some M Parts and not saying M anything on the outside I am fine with it, what about you guys/gals?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I have the MSport pkg by choice. I got it especially as I much prefer the exterior look of the car with the pkg, particularly the front and rear views. I also appreciate the steering wheel and the sport seats.

I owned an E90 M3 sedan a while ago. A true "M" car, that. I have no wish to see M badges on the exterior of my X3, but in all honesty, I am well past worrying about what ppl think of my car. If some want to say an MSport pkg makes for a poser car, that's their choice. I do think those that judge ppl on such items are shallow and immature.

I like my X3 35i MSport exactly the way it is. What others say, I could care less.
      11-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
metsownyou
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I know this has been discussed in threads before, but I thought I would ask the question again, knowing that owners of the M Sport will say no, and owners of true Ms will probably say yes.

I have owned 2 Ms before and currently own an AMG, and like everyone else I have seen TRUE poser cars out in the wild, you know that old 318 with the emblem taken off and the M3 added, or people who don't even bother to do that and just stick the M emblem next to the 3XX emblem,

I ended up getting the package with my X3 because I like the trim better and the M steering wheel is so nice.

To me a poser car is one that wants people to think its something that it isn't and I don't think M Sport cars qualify as that. No where on the outside of M Sport cars does it say M (well not yet, hopefully BMW doesn't ever do that, like S-Line). anything that does say "M" on the car have every right to do so because its an M part, like the M Wheels or Steering wheel. Not a huge fan of the floor panels as I don't see the need for that, but oh well.

Now I would never add an M Emblem, but is adding an M Vinyl window sticker (small one in corner of rear window) going too far? to me its showing that I am a fan of the M Division, not trying to say my car is an M, but I guess it could be viewed that way...

BMW is going to continue to push the "M Sport" packages because they are huge margin items for them, but as long as they keep it under control by just using some M Parts and not saying M anything on the outside I am fine with it, what about you guys/gals?
I think as long as the car doesn't have any "M" emblems on the M-sport package then it's fine. I have a '12 3.5 with M-sport coming and I upgraded to that package for the upgraded exterior trim and that sweet steering wheel.

I hate to knock the non M-sports, but I think all that black plastic running along the bottom of the vehicle just doesn't look quite right..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I have the MSport pkg by choice. I got it especially as I much prefer the exterior look of the car with the pkg, particularly the front and rear views. I also appreciate the steering wheel and the sport seats.

I owned an E90 M3 sedan a while ago. A true "M" car, that. I have no wish to see M badges on the exterior of my X3, but in all honesty, I am well past worrying about what ppl think of my car. If some want to say an MSport pkg makes for a poser car, that's their choice. I do think those that judge ppl on such items are shallow and immature.

I like my X3 35i MSport exactly the way it is. What others say, I could care less.
^ What he said.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsownyou View Post
I think as long as the car doesn't have any "M" emblems on the M-sport package then it's fine. I have a '12 3.5 with M-sport coming and I upgraded to that package for the upgraded exterior trim and that sweet steering wheel.

I hate to knock the non M-sports, but I think all that black plastic running along the bottom of the vehicle just doesn't look quite right..
you know that was my exact thought! The Sport Activity package now is almost identical to the M sport (no exterior changes and no M sport steering wheel, thats it), BUT when I looked at and felt the trim of the non M sport I thought it looked and felt cheap, I looked at our current 2008 Land Rover which cost $41K fully loaded and that didn't have any plastic on the exterior, so it would be like downgrading while paying $10K more! I can see the 28i having the plastic trim to save on costs, but with the 35i they should have gone without the plastic, so I just got the M Sport to remedy it Imagine a 3 series with that black plastic trim? does the X1 even have it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Mako, you seem confused - I wouldnt worry what people think

Msport with or without badges is fine by me, they look better if original bmw badges rather than aftermarket (stickers might be going too far )

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
you know that was my exact thought! The Sport Activity package now is almost identical to the M sport (no exterior changes and no M sport steering wheel, thats it), BUT when I looked at and felt the trim of the non M sport I thought it looked and felt cheap, I looked at our current 2008 Land Rover which cost $41K fully loaded and that didn't have any plastic on the exterior, so it would be like downgrading while paying $10K more! I can see the 28i having the plastic trim to save on costs, but with the 35i they should have gone without the plastic, so I just got the M Sport to remedy it Imagine a 3 series with that black plastic trim? does the X1 even have it?
The exterior plastic trim for SE is identical on the X5 also (not sure for x1) Im guessing it portrays rugged looks for a soft roader?

I would prefer SE with painted plastic but not msport trim

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
The exterior plastic trim for SE is identical on the X5 also (not sure for x1) Im guessing it portrays rugged looks for a soft roader?

I would prefer SE with painted plastic but not msport trim
I thought the X5 got rid of the plastic trim with the face lift, parents got a 2011 X5 and I don't remember seeing any on it (35i)

and when I say sticker, its a small simple/classy M logo sticker, not anything screaming "look at me", since I already have an extra one I will put it on, post pictures and put it to a vote, if its shot down I will remove it

I am the guy who puts a jack skellington decal on my rear passenger window in October or the alien head on my sunroof, as my 2 year old says "because I want to"
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

We have 2 x 2011 40d X5 facelift on fleet, 1x msport= no plastic trim, 1x SE= trim same as SE X3

Your sticker sounds fine

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Personal choice.. I've come from an M3, but I prefer the looks of the M package on the X3
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Personal choice.. I've come from an M3, but I prefer the looks of the M package on the X3
The 30d and 35d would more suit the msport than 20d possibly? Buying aF25 tomorrow and the msport would be considered after ticking the 30d box

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

My ideal setup would be a little bit of both. Particularly like the front of the M Sport and quite like the back although it makes the car look narrower IMO. The sides are my problem. The X3 has quite small wheels and you effectively lower the side profile by colouring the plastic (especially on light colours). I much prefer the side profile of the SE and the fact it makes the wheels look bigger and the car more aggressive. The sculpted lines are more prominent too because of the angle that's created. The X5 M Sport looks are much better IMO, particularly the back. Also I think the black plastic is designed like that as its supposed to be a rugged car that you'd get dirty -it's done to be pragmatic not to save money. Just my thoughts and it's all very subjective.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

yes...M package is poser. All dressed up and no place to go.

Not really saying its ugly...but its really saying to can't afford the real M cars. Although I like the M looks and don't buy them for that reason alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

M package and M is completely different. They don't even look remotely the same. M-Sport contains options to make the car look sporty such as Shadowline, anthracite roof lining, sport seats and steering wheel.

Putting a M badge on a non-M BMW where the model designation is a poser.

If someone's a poser for buying a package for the looks, I am poser for having x-line on my X3 (usually love the M-sport but liked the rugged look for the family car ).

May be putting an AMG badge on my 1M will make me a poser.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Land rover have very nice interior. The interior of a luxury package disco is nicer than a 7 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

To me it's an empty codpiece. There's the promise of something more but no delivery. If it had 400hp we might be talking.

As to the plastic trim - I couldn't care less - it's a truck after all not a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

Poser defined:

aka "rice over bratwurst."
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
To me it's an empty codpiece. There's the promise of something more but no delivery. If it had 400hp we might be talking.

As to the plastic trim - I couldn't care less - it's a truck after all not a sports car.
It just gives car wash attendants more paint to swirl. With this environmentally friendly water-based paint, I wouldn't be willing to take any more chances. God forbid my car looked like it had BMW signature camouflage tape plastered all over it...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
It just gives car wash attendants more paint to swirl. With this environmentally friendly water-based paint, I wouldn't be willing to take any more chances. God forbid my car looked like it had BMW signature camouflage tape plastered all over it...
Judd, did you watch the National Geographic show on the X3? When it showed the painting process, to me, it looked like they figured out a way to cut corners and labeled it being "environmentally friendly". They eliminated 3 stages of the paint process and use the equivalent of 1 gallon of paint for an entire X3. They said they came up with the new process to prevent "bottlenecking" that was happening at the paint station when the X3 was added to the production line. They said they had to figure out a way to make the process faster to push more vehicles through the line. After seeing the show, I feel now I know why BMW paint sucks. It is by far the worst paint of any vehicle I've ever owned from Acura's to Nissan's.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Judd, did you watch the National Geographic show on the X3? When it showed the painting process, to me, it looked like they figured out a way to cut corners and labeled it being "environmentally friendly". They eliminated 3 stages of the paint process and use the equivalent of 1 gallon of paint for an entire X3. They said they came up with the new process to prevent "bottlenecking" that was happening at the paint station when the X3 was added to the production line. They said they had to figure out a way to make the process faster to push more vehicles through the line. After seeing the show, I feel now I know why BMW paint sucks. It is by far the worst paint of any vehicle I've ever owned from Acura's to Nissan's.
Oh no I totally agree! I was poking fun at the paint, as mine is effectively ruined. #invalidating$60000watercolors
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #21
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMk View Post

Not really saying its ugly...but its really saying to can't afford the real M cars. Although I like the M looks and don't buy them for that reason alone.
LOL BMW newbie

I don't think its poser unless you put the //M badge on the car. The little //M on the steering wheel and the wheels should be suffice. Anything over would make it poser.

That being said the M sport pkg is more than just the logo... the fact is that it gets you a sportier steering wheel (although I am not sure is it still heated?), sport seats and exterior differences makes it a legit package. Its not like you are calling it a X3M and its not like you are gloating that the //M pkg makes it faster. Like said earlier its subjective and depends on taste. Stop worrying and enjoy your X3.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #22
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMk View Post

You make no sense. Can't afford the real M car? Is there an X3M model I'm not aware of? Also, so what if you cant afford it? Not everyone makes a lot of money. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a package option. Just like the technology package or premium package. I would have bought this package if it was called the bananas package.

I think the real question here is if BMW is diluting the M designation by using the term M Sport. Like others have said, there is no M emblem anywhere on the exterior of the car, but there are questionable M symbols on the door sills and steering wheel.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo

Last edited by sard; 11-04-2011 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0