BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Questions on some features

Hey guys,

I've been driving for a couple of days, and maybe some people could help me out with somethings I have some questions on.

The sideview mirror on the passenger side, it used to rotate downwards when I put it in reverse, now it doesn't. Is there a switch so I can have the option?

The netting ontop of the sunroof, I presume is to stop rocks/little items from entering the cabin with it open, but it looks pretty cheap? Has anyone had any problems with it yet?

The keyless entry when approaching the car, it first started to open when I got near the car, now it doesn't seem to be working unless I use the remote to manually open it.

When I first start the car, I get some traffic thing I have to click 'accept' to, can I remove that. I want it to show the manual radio, with the picture, I like that default display.

There are certain things that bug me, like if I forget my keys inside while the car is on, and I want to open a rear door, I have to run to get my remote. Also, I'm noticing a lag when I press on the gas pedal and when the car kicks in. Like in traffic today, I wanted to pass another vehicle, but I pressed pretty hard, and the car went no where, I had to wait for some cars to pass by. I figured 0-60 in 5.5 the car would have major acceleration from the get go, but it seems like there's a 2 second lag if the car is going slowly. I don't notice it as much if the car is already at like 20km and then I give it some gas though. Anyone with a x35i with any comments? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Side mirror - you can disable the downward angle on reverse by leaving the left/right mirror switch on the drivers door to the RIGHT side. If you have that switch pushed towards the left the right mirror will tilt down when in R.

Netting is to prevent buffeting and dampen the noise when driving at speed with the sunroof open. No problems to report and probably not a high failure piece of equipment.

The Accept splash screen on start up can be removed by after market programming but I have not seen any options for the F25 as it is so new. Eventually you will be able to alter various aspects of iDrive via an after market programmer, things like watching a movie in motion

Our N55 X3 also has a horrible lag. It is very annoying for my wife as it is her daily driver. I am hoping this lag will diminish as the vehicle loosens up and/or BMWNA releases a software patch for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
Side mirror - you can disable the downward angle on reverse by leaving the left/right mirror switch on the drivers door to the RIGHT side. If you have that switch pushed towards the left the right mirror will tilt down when in R.

Netting is to prevent buffeting and dampen the noise when driving at speed with the sunroof open. No problems to report and probably not a high failure piece of equipment.

The Accept splash screen on start up can be removed by after market programming but I have not seen any options for the F25 as it is so new. Eventually you will be able to alter various aspects of iDrive via an after market programmer, things like watching a movie in motion

Our N55 X3 also has a horrible lag. It is very annoying for my wife as it is her daily driver. I am hoping this lag will diminish as the vehicle loosens up and/or BMWNA releases a software patch for it.
Ok, so it's not only me. I hope it's just a software patch as well. I mean, it should just be a flash or something. I plan on calling my dealer at some point to tell him because it's very noticeable right now in trying to pass other cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
FWIW, I read a few "accelerator lag" posts before getting my X335i and was paying particular attention to that yesterday on my virgin drives. I did not experience the lag, in fact it is incredibly sensitive compared to the 3 Series I just traded in on it. My wife kept asking why I was "taking off so fast" at lights.

My X3 was built exactly a week ago today (April 3), so perhaps they have updated the software at the factory. If that is the case, a service bulletin should be out soon for dealers.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

I did had some lag on the demo x3 and i tried the semi-auto mode. much more responsive that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I used to have an E61 535xi Sports Wagon (N54), and it would do the same thing unless in Sport mode. It's not so much a negative thing as it is a driving aspect.

Every car has something that you need to grow into when driving. Once you have it for a while, you'll realize how exactly to take advantage of the timing and decide what to do next. It sort of allows you to become a offensively defensive driver, if you know what I mean.

Also, different people have different preferences and ways of describing the same thing. One person calls it laggy, the other calls it responsive. My X3 does have that same shift lag characteristic, but nowhere near two whole seconds. I think that in the moment, because you've already made your decision to pass, the .3 second shift lag seems like full seconds.

BMW tried solving this by adding the option to downshift using the paddles while in D without having to be in DS or M.

And if you're experiencing serious lag below 1500rpm, it's because the car favors economy in D and will be in auxiliary gears 7 or 8 at a steady 15 mph. The real power comes in at 1500rpm all the way through 5000rpm, and that's HUGE. Play with your pedal travel to keep yourself north of 1500.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I have lag in Normal mode; no lag in Sport and Sport+ mode. Definitely a software parameter.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Are we talking 28i, 35i, normal modes, sport modes or all of the above?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Everyone that has responded so far has the 35i (assuming its the turbo lag).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
I have lag in Normal mode; no lag in Sport and Sport+ mode. Definitely a software parameter.
sport and sport+ mode are in a special package right? I only have the prem pack, so not sure I have that.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
sport and sport+ mode are in a special package right? I only have the prem pack, so not sure I have that.
The sport activity package adds the additional modes and paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
This is what I'm experiencing too.

Not lag but does anyone feel like the brake pedal is too cushy? They're very good when you need to stop quickly and stomp on them but for other times such as when you slowly press on it for a approaching stoplight it feels very light and doesn't inspire much confidence. Is the light braking a new system that helps save fuel economy or something? Just as how they switched from hydraulic steering to electric.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
Cx35i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post

Not lag but does anyone feel like the brake pedal is too cushy? They're very good when you need to stop quickly and stomp on them but for other times such as when you slowly press on it for a approaching stoplight it feels very light and doesn't inspire much confidence. Is the light braking a new system that helps save fuel economy or something? Just as how they switched from hydraulic steering to electric.
Wasn't sure if it was just me, but yea...I too think the brake pedal is mushy/ has too much initial travel.

As for lag, that's not turbo lag, that's your drive-by-wire throttle and 'Normal' mode working to save fuel. I believe that in 'Normal' mode, the car starts off in 2nd gear and actively engages the overdrive gear. In 'Sport' or 'Sport +', throttle response is improved by dropping a gear, shortening response time in the throttle and never engaging overdrive (which the 8-speed otherwise does as often as is possible).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
So this "lag" that everyones talking about with the car starting in second gear is starting to sound like what everyone complained about on the last generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

There's no lag. If you're noticing lag it's the lag of your foot not applying pressure to the accelerator when it should. For a street car this thing is a rocket. If you can't get this car to go when you want it to you're either in need of a driving course or are a retired F1 driver pining for your old ride . . .
      05-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
There's no lag. If you're noticing lag it's the lag of your foot not applying pressure to the accelerator when it should. For a street car this thing is a rocket. If you can't get this car to go when you want it to you're either in need of a driving course or are a retired F1 driver pining for your old ride . . .
TG, some sanity
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Neo-Orpheus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Astra

Yes, i experienced the same lag with all the demo x3s petrol and disel. Also i noticed the gears down shift is not as smooth, sometimes it cant find the gears properly and i experience a stutter.

However if u get Dynamic drive with the sports/sports mode the throttle response is so much quicker
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

05-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Certainly not turbo lag, that is something totally different.

What we experience in ours is that when trying to move from a complete stop, the gas pedal is depressed maybe a half inch and nothing happens for a second then off it goes.

This has nothing to do with driver skill level. Pressing a gas pedal is second nature I would assume. In my experience with all our other vehicles when we press the gas pedal we go. In the F25, when we press the gas pedal we sit for a sec then go. It is a minor annoyance but an annoyance non the less...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #20
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

I also tried to push the pedal more, and found out that you can elicit a faster response (though not immediate) in Normal mode; but then, you have spooled up your engine and your X3 thinks you want to go fast and if you immediately reduce gas, it'll stutter a bit to switch from "launch mode" back into "cruise mode" (my terms). This is not healthy for the engine if it is cold. After some time (20 minutes highway speed) the X3 changes behaviour slightly, becoming smoother at lower RPMs (at least that's my impression) and reducing the lag a bit. But it still remains.

On the other hand, in Sport mode that I have because of the VDC/DDC package I took, there is no lag at any time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I agree with Nahoa - the car is a rocket. Don't drive in "D" - Drive in the "Manual" mode and make sure you're in the proper gear for accelerating! (Having the set-up in Sport or Sport+ certainly helps too.) If you didn't get these features then you should be happy with the vehicle you have and not expect the car to have the same characteristics of those with the extra features.

That's one of the many great things about this car. If I'm in a casual relaxed mode I'll keep the car in NORMAL mode - knowing I don't have the immediate acceleration of the Sport or Sport+ but I still have a fast car.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT drive like a madman (when there are any other cars in the area). My goal in life is to disprove the notion people have about "BMW drivers"
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post

Interesting, in the loaner GLK I had yesterday the braking felt the same way, now compared to C63 or M3 brakes nothing will feel the same, but compared to other SUVs I have driven the braking seemed to strong, like you said when you want to slowely stop, it seems like just a slight tap makes the car brake hard, like neck snapping hard! So the X3 is the same way? not good
Appreciate 0