BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
dudlet
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan, Sport Line

Tailgate removal

So, I’ve made a bad situation even worse…

For a while now, our power tailgate, like a lot of folks, started to act up. The power struts first started acting erratically and then they finally died altogether. At that point, I should have just replaced the power struts. But we we could still open and close the tailgate if we just had to pull it up and push it back down the old fashioned way. So why not just live with that?

Well, the other night my wife opened the tailgate and could not get it closed at all. I was able to push it back down. However, when I got near to closing it I realized the entire tailgate was now crooked. I couldn’t shut and had to leave it ajar.

The next day, I took it to an independent shop near us. They were able to disconnect the power struts for now so it could at least be closed. What they told me was that I bent the hinges to the tailgate. They said the cost of the hinges isn’t that much ($55 x 2) and will need to be painted by a body shop (another $125). So, that part isn’t so painful. What is painful is that they will have to remove the entire tailgate from the car in order to replace those hinges. With all of the labor, the hinge parts, and of course the power struts, they quoted me a total of $2,200 to fix everything.

So, does anyone out there have any guidance regarding how to do this job myself? I sure would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Since you already caused damage and have to ask how, you're probably better off paying a shop to perform the work since if not careful you could end up damaging the paint on the hatch and or body of the vehicle. The hatch is really heavy and will take 2 strong people to remove and line back up, plus a 3rd to remove/install the hinge fasteners.
Appreciate 0