BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
polder-incline
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

2011 X3 28i N52 - dealer quote $3900CAD+tax for replace both side VANOS unit

Hi everyone, much appreciated for your advice please.

My 2011 X3 28i N52 has stalled and towed to my dealership for inspection after talking to my independent mechanics and he said see if dealer can help anything with Service bulletin below. 108000 KMs driven.

TIS Service Bulletin SI B01 10 14
Engine camshaft (VANOS) adjustment units: limited warranty extension to 10 years without mileage limitation

Dealer advised exhaust side VANOS unit broken. Dealer recommend to replace both/preventative maintenance for the intake side. They said warranty is expired. Total parts and labour for both units replaced $3900 + tax.

1) any suggestions on how to ask dealer for goodwill or policy adjustment or out-of-warranty repair request?

2) Is my issue fall under this service bulletin?

3) What would be more reasonable cost for this repair please?

Thank you for your help and time!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 09:47 PM   #2
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

I think a private repair shop wouldn't be anywhere near that cost. I'm going through the same thing myself... Still waiting for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 10:51 PM   #3
polder-incline
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subydayo View Post
I think a private repair shop wouldn't be anywhere near that cost. I'm going through the same thing myself... Still waiting for a quote.
Thank you for letting me know! Hope you get a much better quote.
Will a typical private repair shop be able to handle the job? The reason I asked because my private repair shop mechanic said this will be a big job and asked me to get my vehicle inspected at dealer for a fee first. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 08:19 AM   #4
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by polder-incline View Post
Thank you for letting me know! Hope you get a much better quote.
Will a typical private repair shop be able to handle the job? The reason I asked because my private repair shop mechanic said this will be a big job and asked me to get my vehicle inspected at dealer for a fee first. Thanks!
I'd look for a private place that specializes in BMW, but it doesn't seem that intensive... They take the valve cover off, use a timing tool, and replace the bolts. The recall mentions you should replace the VANOS sprockets, but if they aren't damaged I don't see that being necessary. That's just me though, definitely not a pro to take my word on that. The BMW VANOS sprockets are ~$600 each. Since they're opening the valve cover, it makes sense to replace the gaskets. They also have to look for bolts that might have sheared off, which sometimes end up in the oil pan. That's more labor and another gasket that should probably be replaced.

I thought of trying it myself, but I don't have a garage and would've had to rent some tools. A private dealer that specializes in BMW will have already replaced valve covers and gaskets numerous times, and they'll know about the VANOS bolts issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:30 PM   #5
polder-incline
Registered
Rep

Thank you for all your reply. Here is an update.

My Indy advised me to tow my vehicle to dealer for warranty request. Out of warranty request for VANOs unit replacement is declined. Dealer offers to look for used oem VANOs part or aftermarket part vs new oem part to help with total cost. What do you guys think? Does it sound legit? Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subydayo View Post
I'd look for a private place that specializes in BMW, but it doesn't seem that intensive... They take the valve cover off, use a timing tool, and replace the bolts. The recall mentions you should replace the VANOS sprockets, but if they aren't damaged I don't see that being necessary. That's just me though, definitely not a pro to take my word on that. The BMW VANOS sprockets are ~$600 each. Since they're opening the valve cover, it makes sense to replace the gaskets. They also have to look for bolts that might have sheared off, which sometimes end up in the oil pan. That's more labor and another gasket that should probably be replaced.

I thought of trying it myself, but I don't have a garage and would've had to rent some tools. A private dealer that specializes in BMW will have already replaced valve covers and gaskets numerous times, and they'll know about the VANOS bolts issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #6
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I mean fuck them amirite? It should've been a recall... Don't forget to report everything to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls.

VAICO or ÜRO parts seem to be the alternatives, but I can't find the intake by ÜRO, which I think is the more common one to be damaged. VAICO is half the price. Typically putting non-BMW parts is frowned upon, I'm not sure who manufactured them for BMW. But theirs broke so...

The bottom line is it needs to be fixed, it sucks.
Appreciate 0