BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #1
Roninsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

X3 2013 - On/off drivetrain malfunction

Hello, I have an x3 2013, recently my mechanic replaced the thermostat when the engine light code came up, the code is cleared but since then I am getting an on/off drivetrain malfunction message pretty much every time I drive for a while, everything else is normal, car drives normal, no engine light (I have an OBD2 scanner - nothing detected). After I restart the car or not running for a few mins, the message is gone, rinse and repeat.

Will show it to my mechanic again even though I do not know how they can detect anything if no code is triggered. I never replaced my battery (original), hear from some posts it might be battery related but the car starts fine. Wondering if anybody had a similar experience. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 03:42 AM   #2
leamsi_iso9001
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2011

If you have ISTA-D, plug it in and check the fault in memory.
Even if the fault is not present, you should see it in the ECU memory.

Even if you don't have ISTA a good scanner should be able to show triggered fault code present in memory.

To replace the thermostat your mechanic may have removed some stuff in engine and did not tighten them after replacement and causing intermittent drivetrain malfunction
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
Roninsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

thank you, I had it checked, and looks like the connection to bank 1 was very loose, I guess it was from the thermostat job.
Appreciate 0