BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2023, 10:44 PM   #1
AndresReyesDev
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 i28

X3 2011 i28 does not accelerate properly. It feels sluggish. Heavy.

When accelerating, the vehicle shifts from first to second gear from 1800 to 1900 and from second to third gear from 1800 to 1900 (it takes less than two seconds between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear). The car feels stuck when accelerating, as if it were being held or accelerated on snow water and if I stop accelerating it brakes quickly (if I go at 60km/h and release the accelerator in less than 100 meters it will have stopped completely).

I bought a scanner and it has no code now. Two days ago they changed the spark plugs and changed the accelerator pedal (because the old one had an error code for a faulty sensor).

Before changing all these things I had four codes that were erased when the vehicle was delivered to me, which you can see in the attached picture. I don't know if they have fixed them or if they just erased them (I don't know if it is feasible to do that).

I bought the car two weeks ago, it has 76k miles on it and it was supposed to be running fine. They are not responding from the company that sold it to me in Toronto.

I don't know what to do. I am willing to do anything, I like the car but I know it will give a failure soon.

If you have any information about mechanics in Toronto or around, or any maintenance guidelines that I can do I will try (I don't know mechanics but everything can be learned).

Thank you all very much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #2
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Are these BMW-specific codes? What does the car act like on a cold start? Rough idle? Any oil leaks? Premium fuel in the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #3
AndresReyesDev
Rep

Hi Subydayo, thanks for you reply.

Are these BMW-specific codes?: Yes, those are BMW-specific codes.

What does the car act like on a cold start? Yes, it occurs more noticeably when it is frozen in the morning but it does not stop occurring during the rest of the day (the improvement is 20%).

Rough idle? Any oil leaks?: Idle seems OK, nothing special, No oil leaks.

Premium fuel in the car?: And yes, I use Canadian Tire Gas+ premium gasoline.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 09:19 PM   #4
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
First code - 104208 has to do with throttle valve….it has a sensor and if wasn’t replaced it could be causing your problem Check whether throttle valve is functioning correctly
‐ Measure sensor line, power supply and ground
- Replace sensor

Second code - 103308 Possible noticeable symptoms:
- Poor throttle response
- Power loss
Breakdown information:
- The engine is operating in the limp-home program, the trip can be continued to a restricted extent but overtaking maneuvers should be avoided in view of the reduced performance.

Third code - 1B9308 is a secondary fault - since this is a secondary fault, rectify other faults stored in the DME or instrument cluster; no further measures are required for this fault

Fourth code - 1B9104 is also a secondary fault - Secondary fault: If additional diagnostic fault codes related to malfunctions in the following components have been logged, process these problems first: DME, instrument panel

I would try a BMW specific tool like ISTA+ and really drill down for codes…..as for the codes being erased and not fixed, it is possible. It will only take time for them to come back….but my guess would be on the throttle body sensor

Last edited by brianhinton77; 03-02-2023 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
AndresReyesDev
Rep

Thank you all for your answers. @brianhinton77 replied to me in another post with a series of recommendations that along with these I will make promptly. Now I have to break the piggyback and look for a mechanic. As I make the adjustments I will write to you here.

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0