BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
DOT Daddies
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw X3 Xdrive 28i

2011 BMW X3 Xdrive28i

We are working on a buddy's 2011 BMW X3 XDRIVE28I. The original issue was the exhaust side vanos bolts had all sheered off. We replaced the vanos and re-timed the engine using the n52 timing kit. The vehicle now starts and idles rough and eventually throws a p054b or 131408. We have verified circuits to both cam sensors as well as the components themselves. We had to replace 1 vanos solenoid and swapping sensors or solenoids cause no change. Our vanos reading for exhaust stays pegged at -115°. This car has been a nightmare. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions. At first, the vehicle would start, Rev up, then die. We opened it back up and reset timing, and now, as I mentioned, it starts idles smooth for a few seconds and then starts surging at a low idle for a minute or two and dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT Daddies View Post
We are working on a buddy's 2011 BMW X3 XDRIVE28I. The original issue was the exhaust side vanos bolts had all sheered off. We replaced the vanos and re-timed the engine using the n52 timing kit. The vehicle now starts and idles rough and eventually throws a p054b or 131408. We have verified circuits to both cam sensors as well as the components themselves. We had to replace 1 vanos solenoid and swapping sensors or solenoids cause no change. Our vanos reading for exhaust stays pegged at -115°. This car has been a nightmare. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions. At first, the vehicle would start, Rev up, then die. We opened it back up and reset timing, and now, as I mentioned, it starts idling smoothly for a few seconds and then starts surging at a low idle for a minute or two and dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just had my 2011 28i towed because of the intake, cold start no control code. Figured its the bolts.

Did you find all of the sheared bolts? that's part of the process. Did you print out the entire process from BMW TIS? I'd maybe see if there's anything in the process that you need to do. I thought about doing this work myself, but I'm letting the beamer tech handle it. Private of course, can't afford the dealership...

Don't forget to report this to the NHTSA.

Here's the repair guide: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...4V176-8370.pdf

Here's a pretty good video where he goes through the whole process:

Hope it helps!

Last edited by Subydayo; 02-16-2023 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:32 AM   #3
DOT Daddies
Registered
Rep

Yes, we were able to locate all the bolts pieces. We also installed new intake gaskets when we replaced the crank sensor. We work on anything here and specialize in diagnostics. I am fairly certain we found the issue. I will post a in depth report on it later when I get back from the dealership. Long story short, our budy was trying to save a buck and ordered the new vanos unit online. TRQ VTA91388. Upon very close inspection and a lot of time and headaches, I noticed the phaser appears to be wrong. It seems that TRQ states the part is the exhaust side when it's the intake side. As I said, I will be posting a report later today with pictures. I have already reached out to the parts suppliers and will be reaching out to TRQ as soon as I verify.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 08:04 AM   #4
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, we were able to locate all the bolts pieces. We also installed new intake gaskets when we replaced the crank sensor. We work on anything here and specialize in diagnostics. I am fairly certain we found the issue. I will post a in depth report on it later when I get back from the dealership. Long story short, our budy was trying to save a buck and ordered the new vanos unit online. TRQ VTA91388. Upon very close inspection and a lot of time and headaches, I noticed the phaser appears to be wrong. It seems that TRQ states the part is the exhaust side when it's the intake side. As I said, I will be posting a report later today with pictures. I have already reached out to the parts suppliers and will be reaching out to TRQ as soon as I verify.
Nice, glad ya'll figured it out. My X3 has been stressing me out with this issue, so I can imagine the headaches. Look forward to seeing what you post.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #5
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 10:29 AM   #6
DOT Daddies
Registered
Rep

I apologize for the delay. Was having issues posting pics due to size. I hope this link works for reference photos. https://photos.app.goo.gl/LbwZ7aEzjxgupdvq8

The part sold by TRQ is mislabeled. As you may see in the photos, there is a small hole on the adjusters. These small holes have a correlation to the internal actuation. The intake cam adjuster rests to the right, and the exhaust adjuster rests to the left. This directly correlates to the spring load direction. Exhaust side springs counterclockwise and intake springs clockwise. So, the trq part number in pictures is listed as an exhaust side adjuster. However, it is an intake. Even if you look at manufacturers' photos, they have photos of an intake phaser. So be careful when ordering. I am reaching out to trq as well as online suppliers we use to notify them of this error. Any questions I will be happy to answer, though I stay busy and may not be able to get back immediately, but I will do my best.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 11:14 AM   #7
Subydayo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nice, thanks for the update. I've noticed the intake sprocket is harder to find and slightly more expensive. I wonder if it's the typical one to get damaged.
Appreciate 0