BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2023, 05:20 AM   #23
thetyrant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph11 View Post
So you basically changed the big bearing for the front wheel driving axle?
The tc‘s seem to be fairly robust, if you sometimes change the oil…. Mine only had some pitting marks on one of the actuators, bearings and clutch looked still very good, since I had the kit I changed everything except of the actuators…. But at the end no impact to get rid of the 3 lights I have…. Wasted time and money but gained experience 😉…. I reused the bolts and did drive 4000 Km afterwards with no issues… Still have until July to fix my issues as per my post, but so far nobody responded…. Cheers

No i changed the complete shaft that drives from transfer box forward into the front differential, one of the UJ had gone notchy due to bearings in joint going bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 05:41 AM   #24
thetyrant
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 30d

Here are the OEM and FEBI prop side by side, picture distorts scale making febi one at front look longer but they measured the same, you can see how much larger the Febi UJ diameter is though although pin didnt look any bigger just housing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 06:34 AM   #25
Ralph11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 e83

Thanks for clarifying, now I understand 😉👍
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 02:17 AM   #26
Rhee-fill
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30d, X5 xDrive30d

For what it's worth, my X3 xDrive30d seized up a few months ago. It would only crawl and it felt like the brakes were locked up.
Anyway, my independent BMW mechanic said that it was the transfer case. He said AUD10,000 for a new one from BMW, which was like 60% of what I paid for the car. The alternative was a second hand unit that he said was mechanically sound.
I was overseas at the time so I just went with that because I didn't have time to shop around or think about alternatives.
To buy and install the second hand unit, he charged me just under AUD4,000.
It's been over six months since that work was done and the car has been fine (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0