BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
jco23
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Jumper Cables

I always keep a set of jumper cables in my car - so I'm curious to see if there is a preferred or required brand/type/gauge that should be used with an X3?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
There's nothing special about the X3 or BMW for that matter that requires certain type of jumper cables. Any good quality 4AWG with solid copper jaws will work perfectly.
Appreciate 1
jco232.00
      02-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
FloridaNative
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

I have started ditching jumper cables and instead only carrying a small Li-ion jump pack in each car. Takes up less room and no need for a second vehicle. I bring in the house and charge each one once or twice a year whether they need it or not.

I am smitten with the Audew brand after a few YouTube videos on them and my personal experience. I have a few of two different sizes. Only warning I have is don’t trust the percentage remaining display. Just charge after every time you use it.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 04:15 PM   #4
jco23
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
I have started ditching jumper cables and instead only carrying a small Li-ion jump pack in each car. Takes up less room and no need for a second vehicle. I bring in the house and charge each one once or twice a year whether they need it or not.

I am smitten with the Audew brand after a few YouTube videos on them and my personal experience. I have a few of two different sizes. Only warning I have is don’t trust the percentage remaining display. Just charge after every time you use it.

-Mike
thanks for the tip!
i like to keep the cables in case I need to help others too (which I've needed on more than one occasion). so maybe having both would help.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 07:51 AM   #5
FloridaNative
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post
thanks for the tip!
i like to keep the cables in case I need to help others too (which I've needed on more than one occasion). so maybe having both would help.
Yep! I’ve used the jump pack to help others as well! Started someone’s V8 gas pickup with the smaller pack I carry in the Miata. Depending on size and state of the batteries, mine seem to be good for at least two jumps for totally dead batteries, so even helping someone else doesn’t jeopardize me. And they can charge from the car as you’re driving, so the chances of helping someone else causing yourself problems is negligible in my book.

-Mike
Appreciate 1
jco232.00