BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
gerald325i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 [f25]

X3 Windshield washer pump maintenance

All, this is something that I've been looking for everywhere and could not find it, so had to figure it out myself and posting it here for everyone to benefit from. If your windshield wiper fluid pump makes noise but nothing comes out, you most likely have clogged up strainers. I've had my X3 since May of 2011 and I've used only Rain-X fluid, which I won't be doing again as it does not contain antibacterial/antifungus properties.

Things that I needed for this project:
- Jack lift and stands to remove the front right tire.
- Air compressor and impact wrench to remove tire: This project was my excuse to buy a Craftsman 30gal compressor on Craigslist at $150 and a 50 piece air too Kit made by Kobalt at Lowes for $79 (includes the socket for the tire too!).
- From BMW: plastic snaps to replace the plastic wheel well trim. The bag has about 10 of them, and I only need 6.
- From NAPA auto parts store, a kit of 5 plastic snap removal tools. P/N: 600-5581 for $22. This was invaluable for the job, as it allows you pry the strainers and the pump motor up.
- Dremel tool or clippers, to trim the bottom plastic lock from the windshield fluid tank.
- brush to clean the strainers with.
- Drip pan, about 6 inches tall...think about how much fluid you have inside the tank!

1) Empty the windshield fluid tank by means of a hose and bucket and your own mouth vacuum...or put a drip pan and make a mess like I did.
2) Start the engine and set the hand brake so that your car won't roll while lifting it.
3) Lift the car, put it on jackstands, remove the wheel, put wheel under front end of car in case everything else fails...I always do this. Safety first!
4) Remove fiber panel from wheel well and just enough snaps to lower the forward plastic wheel well cover to be able to remove the bolt that retains the fluid tank. It only has one screw holding it and the bottom has a plastic protrusion that locks it in place to the frame of the vehicle.
5) There is no way you can remove the pump motos without having more clearance for your fingers. Whoever designed this was a CAD computer idiot who obviously did not care about maintainability. So you have to get the tank to move even if just a little. For this, I removed the bolt on top of the tank, and I still had no clearance to either pull or push the tank out of the bottom frame, so I cut the retaining plastic lip with the dremel tool, since gravity holds the tank in place anyway...I'm sure someone else will come up with a better way.
6) Once the tank is freed up, pry the 2 motors up with a fork-looking tool from the NAPA kit mentioned above. WARNING: You better have a drain pan!
7) Once the motors are out, pry the strainers using the same plastic tools.
8) Clean strainers with brush and water.
9) Run hot water through tank to remove any remaining floating gunk.
10) Undo all steps above. For inserting the new plastic clips around the plastic trim: I used one of the red tools shown to keep in place, while pulling with my plyers out and then down until the stick locks in place and breaks...pretty cool!
Attached Images

Last edited by gerald325i; 12-13-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: adding
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
gerald325i
Rep

FYI, there is a way to "temporarily" unclog the strainers via injecting air with an air pump from the engine compartment split that goes to the hood. I had done that, but worked for a day...and if you would have seen the gunk that came off the strainer, it was like a jelly and thick.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
gerald325i
Rep

IF you have done this maintenance at the dealership, could you please post how much it cost you to fix it? I'd like to know!

On my last service (last week) and out of warranty, the mechanic I spoke with told me that this clogging is pretty common when using Rain-X and recommended using the cheap alcohol based fluids.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
nodnarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 50i & i3 -GONE:335iE90&F25

Thanks for the write up!

Note however:
You do not have to cut off the bottom part!

The tank rotates downward from the front. That part just rotates out. Once the wheel well covers are mostly removed it’s relatively easy to remove the stupid tank. The pumps also pull out by hand.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2017, 05:32 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Good informative write up. If any other reader suffers this clogging problem, it is worth trying to unclog the system by using "Steradent" tablets first. It could save a lot of money and time.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #6
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

I thought it would be worth updating this thread as I had the same issue where the washer jets stopped working on our F25 X3. The pump was activating but no fluid.

I suspected it was a typical BMW where mould had grown on the filter on the washer pump itself. Had the same issue years ago on my E46. That was an easy repair as the tan was under the bonnet and not behind the arch liner like the F25!!!

Initially tried to identify if the blockage was at the reservoir end or the washer jets. On the F25, there is a midway connection in the washer hose around the microfilter area. Disconected this and switched on the pump, no fluid was coming out meaning the bloackage was with the reservoir.

Tried a few thing initially;

- Hot water in tank and leave for a day
- Add mould remover in tank and leave for a day
- Use air line and blast at the conenction i removed

Nothing worked, still no fluid coming out.

Lastly, I thought the pressure method was best but needed to be for a longer period of time.

I bought this adapter - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using my garden hose pipe, I attached the adapter to it and the other end of the adapter to the midway joint. Switched on hose and left for about an hour.

After a few mins, I could see debri coming out of the reservoir cap.

And the result, a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. There was a huge amount of water and pressure coming out now.

Lastly, I emptied system and added heavy duty mould remover and left for a day.

Next day, I flushed system again using the adapter.

Connected it all back up, added screenwash and was working perfectly. Lots of fluid and lots of pressure, just as good as new.

Hope this info is useful to others. No need to remove the reservoir, just powerflush it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
gerald325i
Rep

UPDATE: 2018 and I still have the 2011 X3 (wife drives it now). Never had an issue again. But never used rain-x windshield washer etiher, just the cheap blue stuff.
Appreciate 0