BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
raagnihi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Smile New X3 28i about to order

Hello folks,

We are shopping around for an SUV for my wife and toddler daughter. Fell in love with X3 28i. Looking for mainly family utility. And here are the must haves and nice to haves we are considereing

must haves

basic car x3 28i with black leatherette
navigation
power tailagate
blue water metallic

nice to haves

rear view camera
PDC
comfort access keyless entry

my concerns before finalizing are :

1. With black leatherette, we do not get the lumbar support
what is the likely concern on this
problem is lumbar support is available in the premuim package option

2. we are debating if we ever pay attention to rear view camera / PDC (honestly after we get used to the SAV in a few weeks); what is the opinion of the current users: do we really look at it as a daily utility

3. comfort keyless entry

I understand that with the keyless entry, we just go the SAV, touch the door it opens, no need to put that in a key fob and just press start button.

with out keyless entry, the open the door from remote get into SAV and press start button .....no key fob... is that right ?

are there any other benefits on the remote key besides not pressing the button on the remote to open the door ?

4. moon roof

definitely a fancy ...as at least my experience is we never really used it with the cars we had before so far

I really appreciate your feedback on these couple of questions above...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Back up camera is very useful as it lets u no for sure how much space is behind ur vehicle instead of guessing somewhat no matter how familiar you are with you vehicle. Definately will go for rear view camera. How much is it in the states and do i need another package before i can add it or soemthing? cuz in canada, we have to pay for premium first before adding top view camera for another 700.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raagnihi View Post
Hello folks,

We are shopping around for an SUV for my wife and toddler daughter. Fell in love with X3 28i. Looking for mainly family utility. And here are the must haves and nice to haves we are considereing

must haves

basic car x3 28i with black leatherette
navigation
power tailagate
blue water metallic

nice to haves

rear view camera
PDC
comfort access keyless entry

my concerns before finalizing are :

1. With black leatherette, we do not get the lumbar support
what is the likely concern on this
problem is lumbar support is available in the premuim package option

2. we are debating if we ever pay attention to rear view camera / PDC (honestly after we get used to the SAV in a few weeks); what is the opinion of the current users: do we really look at it as a daily utility

3. comfort keyless entry

I understand that with the keyless entry, we just go the SAV, touch the door it opens, no need to put that in a key fob and just press start button.

with out keyless entry, the open the door from remote get into SAV and press start button .....no key fob... is that right ?

are there any other benefits on the remote key besides not pressing the button on the remote to open the door ?

4. moon roof

definitely a fancy ...as at least my experience is we never really used it with the cars we had before so far

I really appreciate your feedback on these couple of questions above...

With having a toddler that alone is a great reason to have the rear back up camera. My last 2 vehicles before the X had it and I now can't live without out. I find it very useful and for the money a great option. If you want to stay basic, I think you can skip the comfort access. I have it and use it, but it really isn't necessary. As for the moon roof, I personally love the light it lets into the vehicle and opening it up any time it is nice out. With the shade closed, you never it know it's there. I think it is a nice option to have. I have the sport seats which offer great back support so I don't know how the seats would be without the lumbar support. If someone riding in it has a bad back or if you plan on taking extended trips the car, I'd get it. If it is just going to be used to run "here and there" you probably don't have to worry about it. Good luck and let us know when you place your order!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Sport seats are a night and day difference for me. I love the comfort access, cameras, and moon roof but would enjoybthe car without them. Have hadvloanerscwith standard seats and would be very unhappy with them.
      07-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

1. Lumbar support is nice but not necessary. Premium package is an additional $3450 so if getting the package means having to give up something else I'd say forgo the lumbar support. Plus I see you have a toddler so leatherette is likely to be more durable than leather.

2.Personally I don't really pay attention to the PDC but if you get the tech package whenever you use the camera it also turns on PDC. The rear view camera is quite nice but the top view feature is awesome, makes it very easy to park within your space and no more scratched rims. Although a back up camera might be good to have since you have a toddler it still doesn't replace good habits such as looking in your mirrors or sticking your head out the window. Initially I put too much reliance on all the fancy gadgets and ended up dinging my driver's side mirror within the first week; Never again.

3. IMO comfort access is junk, it's more of a novelty than anything.

4. The panoramic moonroof is optional but I can't remeber if the X3 comes with a regular one as standard. A moonroof is by no means necessary but it definitely makes the car seem roomier and more lively with sunlight shining through.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
With small children the backup camera is a great safety feature. You can see children, toys etc behind the vehicle. As for comfort access this is not a necessity but a very nice feature especially with small children in tow.

I have had the comfort access type system on my last two cars and have grown very comfortable with the convenience.

The panoramic sunroof in the X3 is to die for as far as I am concerned. It is one of the reasons I ordered and X3 over competitors. So these are my thoughts and all these choices are very personal and none of the wrong. Good luck, you will love your X3.
Appreciate 0