BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Trumpeter68
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 and '05 Z4

2013 X3 N20 trip/mileage report

My wife and I just returned from an 1800 mile trip to clean out a winter house. The car had 200 miles on the odometer when we left and now shows just under 2100. On the trip south, we encountered severe headwinds (in the 30-40mph range) both days with the second travel day also including heavy rain. With speed varying from 55 to 70 mph on two lane roads, the mileage was in the 24 mpg range according to the cars computer. When the winds died away at the end of the second day, the mileage increased to 27 or so.

While at our winter house in the Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas, where there is a lot of start and stop as well as ups and downs and sharp curves, the mileage stayed around 24.

On the trip home to MN, we had the car fully loaded and quite a bit heavier, but coming across the Ouachita range, the mileage was around 26 and later across the Boston Mtns it rose to 28. When finally driving on a gently undulating and smooth four lane (with little wind) mileage settled in to a consistent 30-31mpg over 130 miles or so while driving on cruise at 75 mph. All of this was with 89 octane gas. Some gas was ethanol and some was not. All figures are, of course, taken from the vehicle computer.

My impressions were that the car was very stable in stormy and windy conditions, although a strong head wind or side wind will drop the mileage considerably. I also found that the motor really started to perform nicely around 800-1000 miles. I can also say that there is plenty of power for quick passing, even at higher speeds, with no turbo lag that I could feel. We almost had an 'oops' in the Branson, MO area when a person pulled out of an intersection without checking and while going uphill at 65 mph, I gave it full throttle. The car jumped ahead very smartly and we avoided a bad situation. I can attest that the car will move quickly if necessary.

Considering that the engine is barely broken in, I am optimistic that as more miles are driven, the average mileage will be on or higher than the BMW numbers . Of course, your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Trumpeter68, thanks for the great feedback on the new n20 equipped x3!

It sounds as if mileage is going to settle in around 30± mpg. Were you using EcoPro mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Trumpeter68
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Trumpeter68, thanks for the great feedback on the new n20 equipped x3!

It sounds as if mileage is going to settle in around 30± mpg. Were you using EcoPro mode?
I did use it some, but I saw very little difference (if any) at speeds above 65 mph. Also, in the hills and mtns I was in, the car performed better in regular mode. When I did use it, the dash indicator indicated best results when I was under 60 mph. I plan to 'play' with it a bit when I am around home in city traffic.

However, I really did enjoy watching the auto stop feature work. When the car was cold, it would not engage until the engine and systems are warmed up a bit. It also does not engage when the temp. is 37 degrees or colder. It would sometimes start the car when the air temp inside the car would begin to get warmer. I did discover that if the car shuts off at a stop sign and you move the shifter to sport mode, the car immediately starts. My wife kidded me by saying "the car is smarter than we are!" I'm sure there are more things to learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
victorfy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Thanks for sharing, Trumpeter68!

I got my 28i this Wed, and the trip computer showed 7mpg After I reset it, it's around 19mpg for 60% highway, 40% city for my daily commute, considerably lower than yours. I have been trying to be gentle on it in Eco pro at less than 70mph.. Hopefully I will get similar result as yours after a few more miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Trumpeter68
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfy View Post

I got my 28i this Wed, and the trip computer showed 7mpg After I reset it, it's around 19mpg for 60% highway, 40% city for my daily commute, considerably lower than yours. I have been trying to be gentle on it in Eco pro at less than 70mph.. Hopefully I will get similar result as yours after a few more miles on it.
In fairness, the first 700 miles were not all that great. Between 700-900 miles the engine started to 'free up' and the mileage gradually got better.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
poppap
Rep
Drives: getting 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfy

I have the same experiences. Was at 18.5mpg at my first fill up around half a tank and now it gradually go up to around 20mpg now. Hopefully it will keep getting better and better.
Appreciate 0