BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

So about that yellow airbag warning tag...

Just picked up my new X3 this Saturday and am getting settled in but something has been bugging me which is probably a little too OCD--I'm usually this way with new things--and it is regarding the yellow & white airbag warning tag that hangs off the front trim over the glove compartment. So while waiting for the finance guys to prep all my paperwork and practice their dealer add-ons spiel I was getting the feature tour, during which the guy offered to remove the tag for me. I politely refused, thinking "I can do that...I'm an airbag tag ripper offer pro". Later, I carefully pulled on the tag moving it back and forth gently only to find that I had left a good chunk of the tag somewhere deep inside my dash (what the hell does this thing attach to?). My primary concern here is that little teeny 1" square piece of plastic lodged in my dash will effectively translate into a large angry bumblebee buzzing around in there any time I hit some not-smooth-as-glass pavement. Should I be concerned? If so, has anyone done any experiments with shrinking yourself down to the size of a few molecules to explore world inside the dash to hunt down noise-making critters? I know, I know...you're probably thinking that if I were to shrink myself down to a size measured in molecules, the lodged tag would be the size of a football field to me so there's nothing I could do about it anyhow...

I'm just hoping that the errant piece of plastic somehow works its way loose and just ends up falling out of the bottom of the dash. Or that lurking in these forums is a certified airbag tag expert who knows the secret code that makes the dash unfold and open up so I can pluck out the leftover tag.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You said it: "too OCD"
Treatment prescription: Start thinking about the transfer case that may not be bolted in correctly, the window regulator that will fail (2) days after your warranty expires, or the oil pump drive chain that's about to snap. That will get your mind off the plastic tab.

If that does not get your mind off the plastic tab, the next stage of therapy is to read the X3 TSB list.

Let us know when you put the car up for sale.

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-31-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Yes, seems to be a much more sensible solution than my self-prescribed treatment of pouring marbles down my vents and reprogramming my stereo to play Justin Bieber CDs backwards at 2 clicks below max volume...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

maybe the tag is biodegradeable.
Appreciate 0