BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

2017 - Bmw X3 (g01)

It seems only just a few weeks since the LCi of the BMW X3 has just hit the market that now the discussion is on the G01 the replacement for the X3 which will launch in just over 3 years in 2017 also the year and arrival of the Super luxurious X7.

Since its the first renders effectively they are work in progress but some ideas are evident such as X3 design characteristics , solid surfaces and extra athleticism to broaden the car amongst the more evolutionary appearance carried over.

As I understand the car is still being worked on at the crick coal stages of development so it is not an accurate representation. But the more Technical design language introduced in the Vision Future Luxury concept car will be utilised in the X3 as well as the X7.

Based upon the upcoming new modular matrix , the X3 will bring exceptional weight reduction to the segment , will finally arrive in full M model over an eDrive plug-in hybrid and for the first time an X3 Li designed for the Chinese market. It will be continued to be built in Spartanburg in South Carolina.
The home of the BMW SAV.

A year later in 2018 will see the arrival of the next BMW X4 (G02) giving the first X4 a very short shelf life.
Attached Images

Last edited by SCOTT26; 06-29-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

As you can see its work in progress. But conforms to BMW design looking for different interpretations of familiar design elements like the new headlight with squared off double corona rings and a new interpretation of the classic L shape. As some competitors now seem to be interpreting BMW design cues in their products it is only right that BMW seek to bring not only a new interpretation but inject new ideas that will allow a product to stand out further.

I would say that they have one thing right and that is the evolutionary appearance and dimensions. Because of the imminent X7 , the X3 needs to stay where it is currently at - size wise.
The same stands for the X5 do not expect the next X5 to get any bigger.

But one thing missing here is it needs more Air Breathers at the side front wing.
Attached Images

06-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Thanks for sharing, Scott.

No doubt the conceptual appearance is fine, and weight reduction will always be a good thing. And for this model size, which is highly attractive to those of us who have driven most everything else, it would be near suicidal to change the dimensions greatly.

However, it would seem likely that further aerodynamic refinements than what is being shared now will (and must) be in store, for that most assuredly will be the future of all of their new model designs ['active rear spoiler', 'air breather', 'air curtain', 'air blade', 'aero wheel rims', and 'air vent control' ( bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficientdynamics/phase_2/technology/aerodynamics_2013.html )].

What BMW has accomplished with the 3 and 5 and X5 series designs aerodynamically is incredibly exciting, and I would respectfully suggest, will be what separates them from the pack.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
ghostdog1108
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i CARBON BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Thanks for sharing, Scott.

No doubt the conceptual appearance is fine, and weight reduction will always be a good thing. And for this model size, which is highly attractive to those of us who have driven most everything else, it would be near suicidal to change the dimensions greatly.

However, it would seem likely that further aerodynamic refinements than what is being shared now will (and must) be in store, for that most assuredly will be the future of all of their new model designs ['active rear spoiler', 'air breather', 'air curtain', 'air blade', 'aero wheel rims', and 'air vent control' ( bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/efficientdynamics/phase_2/technology/aerodynamics_2013.html )].

What BMW has accomplished with the 3 and 5 and X5 series designs aerodynamically is incredibly exciting, and I would respectfully suggest, will be what separates them from the pack.

Dual exhaust...,
      06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Won't be long now before someone spots a G01 mule. As with other BMWs from the past ~5 years, once the current-gen LCI is physically available in showrooms, the next-gen camo'd mules will be hitting the German roads in short order.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It seems only just a few weeks since the LCi of the BMW X3 has just hit the market that now the discussion is on the G01 the replacement for the X3 which will launch in just over 3 years in 2017 also the year and arrival of the Super luxurious X7.

Since its the first renders effectively they are work in progress but some ideas are evident such as X3 design characteristics , solid surfaces and extra athleticism to broaden the car amongst the more evolutionary appearance carried over.

As I understand the car is still being worked on at the crick coal stages of development so it is not an accurate representation. But the more Technical design language introduced in the Vision Future Luxury concept car will be utilised in the X3 as well as the X7.

Based upon the upcoming new modular matrix , the X3 will bring exceptional weight reduction to the segment , will finally arrive in full M model over an eDrive plug-in hybrid and for the first time an X3 Li designed for the Chinese market. It will be continued to be built in Spartanburg in South Carolina.
The home of the BMW SAV.

A year later in 2018 will see the arrival of the next BMW X4 (G02) giving the first X4 a very short shelf life.
Scott - thanks for the info. I hope whoever you report into at BMW knows how much goodwill YOU create for the brand through your interaction with the enthusiast community.

Great to hear that the next generation will feature many of BMW's latest innovations. Hopefully it'll share interior finishes with the F15!

Any word on whether F25 owners will be able to buy BMW Performance parts for their X3s? An MPPK perhaps?

With the segment getting stronger (I know I looked at the SQ5), I strongly believe that an F15-like M Performance catalogue would keep a lot of folks (who might otherwise find themselves in an SQ5, Macan S or Evoque Autobiography) within the BMW fold!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Maybe, by 2017, the US will allow cameras in place of the current rear view and side mirrors, allowing removal of those ugly appendages we've all grown used to!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Finally! I've wondered for some time what the G0x series is since the next 7'er is G10.
Scott, can you also fill in the G2x void? Since G3x is next 5'er.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As you can see its work in progress. But conforms to BMW design looking for different interpretations of familiar design elements like the new headlight with squared off double corona rings and a new interpretation of the classic L shape. As some competitors now seem to be interpreting BMW design cues in their products it is only right that BMW seek to bring not only a new interpretation but inject new ideas that will allow a product to stand out further.

I would say that they have one thing right and that is the evolutionary appearance and dimensions. Because of the imminent X7 , the X3 needs to stay where it is currently at - size wise.
The same stands for the X5 do not expect the next X5 to get any bigger.

But one thing missing here is it needs more Air Breathers at the side front wing.
Scott- have you seen the Porsche bridge to Macan program? It's incredibly tempting. M Performance parts please!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Could they add...?

Thanks again for the update on their progress, Scott.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
Will it get LED turn signals and brake lights or do we have to wait for the LCI in 2022 this time?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Does this mean that the X3 will be the first G series out the door? What does the 01 signify?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
gdstan55
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

Those DRLs look so....Audi :-|
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Cant wait to see that interior

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Scott - thanks for the info. I hope whoever you report into at BMW knows how much goodwill YOU create for the brand through your interaction with the enthusiast community.

Great to hear that the next generation will feature many of BMW's latest innovations. Hopefully it'll share interior finishes with the F15!

Any word on whether F25 owners will be able to buy BMW Performance parts for their X3s? An MPPK perhaps?

With the segment getting stronger (I know I looked at the SQ5), I strongly believe that an F15-like M Performance catalogue would keep a lot of folks (who might otherwise find themselves in an SQ5, Macan S or Evoque Autobiography) within the BMW fold!

Thanks again.
Bump...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #16
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
I assume that's sarcasm. I'm a little disappointed with BMW's penchant for making fake air intakes larger and larger to the point of ridiculousness. Do big fake air vents cool more effectively than small ones? It seems at odds with their (former?) no nonsense performance image.

American cars in the 60s and 70s were loaded with fake air intakes. I hated them then, and I hate them now.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
I assume that's sarcasm. I'm a little disappointed with BMW's penchant for making fake air intakes larger and larger to the point of ridiculousness. Do big fake air vents cool more effectively than small ones? It seems at odds with their (former?) no nonsense performance image.

American cars in the 60s and 70s were loaded with fake air intakes. I hated them then, and I hate them now.
I don't wish to speak for Scott, but I believe he is referring to actual (vented) air intakes and not ones simply for aesthetics. I have some pictures of the X5's 'air curtain' (in the front lateral bumper) and 'air breather' (behind the wheelwell) showing the tire through the openings in my 'Horsepower and Speed - the graph' thread.

In the Motor Trend June 2009 report on the wind tunnel facility (in Munich, I believe) and the 7 series, they comment that aerodynamic drag is composed of 40% from the body design, 30% of a vehicle's total drag comes just from the wheels and wheel wells (which I never would have imagined), 20% from the underbody, and 10% from internal air (entering the radiator and engine compartment and then trying to exit after alot of internal turbulence).

It seems that these wheel and wheel well modifications make a significant difference in decreasing the drag coefficient, possibly as much as .03 it seems, which has contributed to the heavier and larger X5 now actually obtaining better HWY numbers than our current X3.

I am really hoping they have these in the next gen for us, and honestly, I would expect them to be used on everyone of their models when model change cycles mature.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Not only are the air curtain and breather intakes not simply for aesthetics but for many engine models the other front intakes are essentials.

Some engine models need little cooling but others need a lot, like:
1) Main engine radiator
2) Secondary engine radiator
3) Intercooler fluid radiator
4) Oil cooler
5) Transmission oil cooler
6) Steering fluid cooler
ect ect

Then the sportier models need extra brake cooling and hot country versions need even more cooling.

So you may find 1 car that uses only a few of the intakes, but another with a different engine and gearbox that requires all the intakes.
      07-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #19
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Thanks to Scott for sharing this insight... having just seem the X4 in the show room (and off to see the i8 on Friday) its amazing how quickly things keep changing.

My X3 is just over 2 years old, so maybe I can hang onto it and get a new X3 in 2017... mmm now theres a plan..
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #20
Ccjung
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i M Sport

Hey Guys - I live/work in Newbury Park (BMW Designworks HQ) and I see preproduction BMWs all the time. I'll keep my eyes open for the G01. I saw the F25 back in 2009/10 or so and fell in love quickly.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #21
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

X3 4.0iM
      07-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #22
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
My X3 is just over 2 years old, so maybe I can hang onto it and get a new X3 in 2017... mmm now theres a plan..
Our idea as well with our 2012.

Does anyone know if Alpina has the ability to change anything they wish, or does BMW have a say in what they are able to accomplish? My question is whether Alpina would proceed to introduce air curtains and breathers to the LCI base before the G01 arrives (since it appears to be a proven technology to significantly reduce the Cd)?
Appreciate 0