BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

trading in X3 without runflats, all-season?

my OEM all-season runflats still have one summer season left on them, but that means if I trade in the car this fall (4 year warranty is over) I will need replacement tires, so I am thinking why not replace them now and get some use out of the new tires.

so 2 questions

1) I have a M Sport 35i, only offered with all-season tires when we bought it (now they offer it with summer tires), will it effect the trade value if it has summer vs all-season tires when I trade it in?

2) will BMW dealerships value the trade lower if it doesn't have run flat tires? this is not a lease turn in, but the dealership may still say they need run flats to sell it since there is no spare tire, anyone have experience with this? non run flats offer a better ride in my opinion and are much cheaper, if we blow a tire that's what BMW roadside assistance is for...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

You're not going to see the return from the dealer at trade in for the cost difference in the run flats.

Get what you want to drive on instead of paying for the tires a future owner may want.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbman
You're not going to see the return from the dealer at trade in for the cost difference in the run flats.

Get what you want to drive on instead of paying for the tires a future owner may want.
Right, my concern is a dealer would say that can't sell it with non runflats because there is no spare tire.

But I guess the M3 comes with non run flats and no spare...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I traded in my 135i with non-runflats when I picked up my X3. My 135i had 38,000 miles so I can't see anyone expecting the original run flats to have lasted that long. And to buy tires just in case the dealer might appreciate it in the small chance you might trade your car to a BMW dealer isn't a realistic expectation.
      04-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbman

Right, my concern is a dealer would say that can't sell it with non runflats because there is no spare tire.

But I guess the M3 comes with non run flats and no spare...
If the dealer wants to replace the tires after they purchase the car from you before they sell it they will, and pass that cost along to the next buyer.

The 335 we traded in on the X3 had Conti DWS installed, the only thing about tires in the valuation was tread wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

In the UK, a tire inflation kit is mandatory if you don't use run flats. I expect a dealer would want to fit run flats when they re-sell the car in any event, so they are likely to knock your trade in price down.
Appreciate 0