BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

Exteriors as promised.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #24
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

very attractive combination indeed. Interior is really beautiful.
      02-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #25
Manicureaddict
Rep
Drives: X3

how are you liking the Aluminum trim? I'm having second thoughts on the one I picked, i went with the dark wood, Fineline Anthracite Wood Trim. I saw the brushed aluminum trim at the dealership and felt a little meh about it, but the more i think about it I think it would look better with the black leather... I did the wood since my husband liked it better but I dunno if i like the idea of black and brown together. i need them to go ahead and build my car so i can stop second guessing everything. I was also thinking the smooth wood trim would be easier to wipe than than metal... any input would be helpful
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #26
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

well, Manicureaddict, that's very personal of course.
Some like wood trim, some don't. I ordered an X-Line version, and than you get Dark Copper, which is also very cool.

Old English cars (Jag, Rolls, Vandenplas, Wolseley) had a lot of wood inside. Sportscars often had aluminium on the dash. But now I am talking about the 40's ,50's and 60's.
That's why I still feel that wood is more for luxury cars and limousines, and not for a sporty car. I feel that a wood trim makes a car look more classic.

But as I said, it's very personal. Nobody can tell you what looks better for that is subjective.

Austin with wood dash , 1961

Last edited by Portimao318; 02-10-2015 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #27
Manicureaddict
Rep

Endre, you're right it is very personal. I didn't mind the combo so much until we went to dinner in my father in law's Jag. It's black leather with a similar dark wood and it just brought me back to when he first got it I just didn't care very much for that combo and now i realized I would be getting a similar look. I've looked at a lot of cars online and played around a lot with a lot of builds and when i started looking at the bmw the interior combos just didn't offer much. here's a picture of one of my favorite color combos for an interior from a Mercedes C300. that black wood makes me swoon. I did see that bmw offers a black wood trim in some of the higher up models, but even at that i don't think it looked as good as the mercedes.
[IMG][/IMG]

My thought process is that perhaps the Aluminum will brighten up all the black I went with. I'm just getting nervous waiting for the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #28
skiajl6297
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i

No comments so far on the aluminum trim's durability or ease of scratching, but I can definitely say as having had wood trim in all of my prior BMW's, I like them both.

In this car, I was going very heavy on the black/white/greyscale with the accent being the red stitching. I felt that any of the wood options would be too much like yet another accent. Frankly, when I was configuring the interior with the ivory white seats w/ red stitching, any of the other colors would create a kind of extra accent color that I didn't want. Plus I had the anthracite wood in my prior 528, and wanted something different this go round.

The red trim is the obvious accent in my interior, and any of the wood choices would have darkened what was otherwise an already dark interior given the M Sport alcantara headliner. If I had chosen non-M sport, different seats, etc. I would have leaned heavily away from the aluminum. I think this combo gives it a nice sporty look, but also doesn't add any unnecessary additional contrast given the already pretty obvious red stitching.

I must add that the aluminum trim must be seen in person, as the brushed quality of it really adds a nice dimension to it that is never captured on configurators, and only occasionally in photos. It really looks refined up close. Highly reccomend it with the right combo!

I always think of wood trim like shoes/clothes/belt - and try to avoid mixing and matching things that traditionally don't go well together, e.g. brown belt and black shoes - ick! In this car I went with the grey suit, white shirt, black shoes and red tie!

I clearly overthought this. (and need coffee) But it makes us happy!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #29
Manicureaddict
Rep

you did very well with your color combo, I'm jealous. My truth is we're slobs, I know any color leather besides black would look very dirty after a little use. I blame the dyes in these dark jeans these days. That red accent is lovely, just the right amount of red , I've always loved a red/white/black combo just looks great. I over think things too, Been stuck in a house remodel for the past few years glad that is almost coming to an end because designing two bathrooms and a kitchen is something i don't want to have to do any time soon. end result I'll be happy with either one of them but I do pull more towards a more modern look and the aluminum does provide a more modern feel. I did see it in person and I have to say your pictures really do it justice!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #30
Manicureaddict
Rep

sticking with the wood , every now and then i do put my dogs in the car and I don't think the aluminum will hold up with their little paws and nails all over it. i used to bring my dogs to work everyday but lately I've been keeping them at home to get them used to staying at home since I don't want them to wreck my car up when it gets here. plus they have been driving me nuts with their barking when we have any visitors stop by our shop. They seem to always know when I'm on a call with a customer before they start all their barking! seeing your aluminum trim pictures made me reconsider my choice. you really took some great pictures! hopefully I won't have to wait much longer I'm on day 14 since I ordered and it's driving me nuts :P
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #31
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicureaddict View Post
sticking with the wood , every now and then i do put my dogs in the car and I don't think the aluminum will hold up with their little paws and nails all over it. i used to bring my dogs to work everyday but lately I've been keeping them at home to get them used to staying at home since I don't want them to wreck my car up when it gets here. plus they have been driving me nuts with their barking when we have any visitors stop by our shop. They seem to always know when I'm on a call with a customer before they start all their barking! seeing your aluminum trim pictures made me reconsider my choice. you really took some great pictures! hopefully I won't have to wait much longer I'm on day 14 since I ordered and it's driving me nuts :P
Should you change anything in your ordered car now, than delivery might take longer, I could imagine.
And if you should really hate the wood trim , you can always have it changed with aluminium trims later. I don't think it will be so expensive (it will be cheaper than buying a new car )
      02-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #32
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
Should you change anything in your ordered car now, than delivery might take longer, I could imagine.
And if you should really hate the wood trim , you can always have it changed with aluminium trims later. I don't think it will be so expensive (it will be cheaper than buying a new car )
They say you can change spec upto about 11 days before production .. Don't believe them

My dealer said they are having issues with Xline and mpsorts slipping at the moment.

I think that the alu interior looks good against the black but not other colours .. It can be a bit cold and tuetonic though .. And in winter can be physically cold

I have it in my X1 MSport but have gone for the copper in the X3

Again choice is so personal .. I've been fretting for 8 months now over specs !

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #33
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 XDrive 40i MSport

I had the aluminum in my F30...it did look good against the black, but it def was kind of rough and cold-looking. In the summer it got brutally hot, like, burn my arm hot, not kidding. I decided to go with the fineline anthracite in my MSport, just looks classier-to my taste of course, to each his own. All that said, I do think the alu did look sportier with my F30.

regretful former owner '88 E28 M5
'12 MG F30 328i
'15 CB F25 X3 35i
'19 Golf R Mk7.5
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #34
kjoseph270
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 XDrive 40i MSport

Oh, and slipping???? NOOOOOOooooo.....!!!!!

regretful former owner '88 E28 M5
'12 MG F30 328i
'15 CB F25 X3 35i
'19 Golf R Mk7.5
Appreciate 0