BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #969
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

Picked my new X3 up yesterday and i love it!
It feels so much bigger then my car even though its just 40mm wider and 500mm longer!
I only have 2 quick pics i took on my phone but it dosent take great pictures so ill try and do more over the weekend with a better camera.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #970
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

very nice.. was really tempted for the deep sea blue colour....
      10-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #971
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a few quick Qustions about the car

1) With the USB connections can you not plug i USB memory stick in which has music on there and listen to that?

2) DVD Playback seems very quiet compaired to the Radio is that normal? If i go from dvd to radio its a huge difference.

3) When someone Calls me it just rings normal is there anyway to change it to the phones ringtone?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #972
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenuk View Post

1) With the USB connections can you not plug i USB memory stick in which has music on there and listen to that?

2) DVD Playback seems very quiet compaired to the Radio is that normal? If i go from dvd to radio its a huge difference.

3) When someone Calls me it just rings normal is there anyway to change it to the phones ringtone?

Thanks
1) Yes in the USB socket within the Center Arm Rest, if you put a USB memory stick with MP3's on it will play, under CD&Multimedia\external devices\USB. If the MP3's have embedded Album Art in the MP3 Tag, it will also show the artwork on the iDrive screen

2) Yes DVD play back is very quiet, If am burning my own I increase the DVD burn volume to +80%

3) As far as I know you cannot use your phones ringtone as the bluetooth car ringtone.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #973
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingOne View Post
1) Yes in the USB socket within the Center Arm Rest, if you put a USB memory stick with MP3's on it will play, under CD&Multimedia\external devices\USB. If the MP3's have embedded Album Art in the MP3 Tag, it will also show the artwork on the iDrive screen

2) Yes DVD play back is very quiet, If am burning my own I increase the DVD burn volume to +80%

3) As far as I know you cannot use your phones ringtone as the bluetooth car ringtone.
Thanks for that i thought as much.
When i put a USB Stick in the slot nothing happens as it shows not connected on the screen?Do i have to do something somewhere? The AUX Jack in works fine
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #974
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Thanks for that i thought as much.
When i put a USB Stick in the slot nothing happens as it shows not connected on the screen?Do i have to do something somewhere? The AUX Jack in works fine
Try another USB stick, if then still no joy, suggest a trip to dealer. I think the MP3s need to be less than 320 bit rate. But would still expec it to see the stick.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #975
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:

Thanks
For item 2 - I am still reading the manual front to back and often read interesting details but then can't find them when you need the info. There is a config menu option to balance DVD volume with the usual radio/cd volume - but I can't find the page number. From memory you will need to have a DVD playing then try all the config menu's for DVD you can find and a volume slider will show that can be adjusted to balance the difference you refer to.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #976
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
For item 2 - I am still reading the manual front to back and often read interesting details but then can't find them when you need the info. There is a config menu option to balance DVD volume with the usual radio/cd volume - but I can't find the page number. From memory you will need to have a DVD playing then try all the config menu's for DVD you can find and a volume slider will show that can be adjusted to balance the difference you refer to.
took another look in the manual and made a mistake - page 171 was what I was thinking but it is not to balance DVD vol, but to balance aux-in vol only
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #977
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your help everyone on the usb and dvd volume.
Ill try a smaller USB stick tommorow as the 1 i used was a 16GB one so might be to big for it maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #978
JimBeamer
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 (2017)2.0d XLine

Great colour, looks just like mine. I also thought it was bigger than I remember. Congrats and enjoy. :happening:
      10-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #979
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Thanks for your help everyone on the usb and dvd volume.
Ill try a smaller USB stick tommorow as the 1 i used was a 16GB one so might be to big for it maybe?
Don't think size will be the problem; I have an 80Gb hard disk plugged in and it plays fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #980
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I have an 80Gb hard disk plugged in and it plays fine.
+1

I'm using an older (USB2.0) WD Passport 320GB drive and it works fine ... better than my iPhone4, actually. It still displays cover art etc and the track listings are in the correct order. Additionally I can browse using the folder structure as well as the usual artist/album etc filters which is pretty useful for me given the way I store my media files.

I've got about 80GB of music, mainly in MP3 at 320Kbps - the initial indexing takes some time but then the car seems to retain this and only takes a few secs to initialise each time I start it up.

I think the drive cost me about £50 from a retail store (Currys/PC World).

The X3 manual advises against using portable HDDs but I suspect this is because the only drives that will work are bus powered (i.e. powered through the USB socket) and the drive might get damaged if the power is just switched off. It's been a long time since it's been necessary to park the HDD heads before switching a drive off so I'll take my chances.

So, my advice is not to get ripped off with high capacity USB flash drives ... get a bus powered HDD.
      10-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #981
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

StevenUK - congrats on your new X3, looks really nice - I still haven't seen a DSB in the flesh. I may be getting those alloys for winter tyres and I like them every time I see them.

Re. DVD volume, I don't think it can be adjusted and it's DANGEROUS! The difference is ridiculous. BimmerUK76 had a thread on this.

Re. USB, just to confirm what other people have said, it should work with any size so worth trying a different stick. A USB stick is preferable to the Music Collection which has a lot of flaws. I bought this one which is cheap as chips and had been working well for a few months. I would personally stick to solid state unless you need the extra capacity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Me...9963776&sr=8-1

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #982
Stevenuk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
StevenUK - congrats on your new X3, looks really nice - I still haven't seen a DSB in the flesh. I may be getting those alloys for winter tyres and I like them every time I see them.

Re. DVD volume, I don't think it can be adjusted and it's DANGEROUS! The difference is ridiculous. BimmerUK76 had a thread on this.

Re. USB, just to confirm what other people have said, it should work with any size so worth trying a different stick. A USB stick is preferable to the Music Collection which has a lot of flaws. I bought this one which is cheap as chips and had been working well for a few months. I would personally stick to solid state unless you need the extra capacity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Me...9963776&sr=8-1

Hi i now found a different USB stick and that works fine !? so im glad it is not broke on my car! It must be the ones im using dont like BMW they are Play.com Sticks. I tried a Busbi USB Stick and it worked right away only problem its only 500 MB!. I order that one you linked on you post as that looks great value and you know that USB stick works in your car.

The only difference between the 2 keys is the play.com Stick is FAT32 and the Busbi Stick is just FAT . So no idea if thats why?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #983
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

First post on the forum so be gentle with me! Recently discovered this forum and have so far found the content interesting and informative.

Ordered an F25 2.0D last April. This to replace my E83, the contract for which runs out in December. At time of order was informed that i might 'just' get my F25 delivered in time. Given that my dealer knew I was interested in ordering a new one I would have thought a reminder would have been good business in time to meet my dates, but that is another story! Anyway lucky enough that someone cancelled their order because they weren't prepared to wait, so I got their slot which meant delivery was planned for week 49 (mid-dec) thus fitting in with my requirements. Otherwise I'd have been waiting for a March 12 delivery.

Now told delivery will be 21 Nov which just happens to be the start of our two caribbean cruise. Maybe I should let other half cruise on her own and I can enjoy two weeks with my new arrival!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #984
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianlad View Post
First post on the forum so be gentle with me! Recently discovered this forum and have so far found the content interesting and informative.

Ordered an F25 2.0D last April. This to replace my E83, the contract for which runs out in December. At time of order was informed that i might 'just' get my F25 delivered in time. Given that my dealer knew I was interested in ordering a new one I would have thought a reminder would have been good business in time to meet my dates, but that is another story! Anyway lucky enough that someone cancelled their order because they weren't prepared to wait, so I got their slot which meant delivery was planned for week 49 (mid-dec) thus fitting in with my requirements. Otherwise I'd have been waiting for a March 12 delivery.

Now told delivery will be 21 Nov which just happens to be the start of our two caribbean cruise. Maybe I should let other half cruise on her own and I can enjoy two weeks with my new arrival!
Welcome and congrats on your order.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #985
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Picked my new X3 up yesterday and i love it!
It feels so much bigger then my car even though its just 40mm wider and 500mm longer!
I only have 2 quick pics i took on my phone but it dosent take great pictures so ill try and do more over the weekend with a better camera.
Congrats, looks great in blue
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #986
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Question to Washy.

Your pictures of your X3 3.0D M Sport show the Normal/Sport DDC switches, but your option list doesn't include VDC. Did you order VDC or did the DDC come as a result of having the Varable Sport Steering on the 3.0D M?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #987
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Question to Washy.

Your pictures of your X3 3.0D M Sport show the Normal/Sport DDC switches, but your option list doesn't include VDC. Did you order VDC or did the DDC come as a result of having the Varable Sport Steering on the 3.0D M?

Cheers
No I didn't order VDC, but the 3.0d comes with the VSS which includes the switch.

On a side note I am sad to report I no longer have my X3. Sadly my other half lost her job in the week and I sold the car back to the dealer. Turned into the most expensive two week car hire ever....
      10-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #988
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianlad View Post

Welcome lad, will be interesting to hear your views on the f25 when you get it (pics are a forum mandatory rule). Bit of a dilema re the cruise, I could take your place????

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #989
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
No I didn't order VDC, but the 3.0d comes with the VSS which includes the switch.

On a side note I am sad to report I no longer have my X3. Sadly my other half lost her job in the week and I sold the car back to the dealer. Turned into the most expensive two week car hire ever....
Ouch! How many miles did you clock up? Taking a financial hit was the last thing you needed after your bad news! Hope your missus finds the job of her dreams (cloud, silver lining etc) and then you could go for the 35d, keep your chin up

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #990
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
Question to Washy.

Cheers
Another welcome to Roger

That 30d will be awesome, why o why didnt i wait?

What car are you currently driving?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0