BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

iPhone Adapter, BMW Apps, and iPhone5

Just picked my vehicle last night. Still trying out all the features and one in particular, BMW Apps. I wasn't aware that you needed the iPhone armrest adapter in order to take full advantage of BMW Apps. Was close to buying it, but then remembered that the iPhone5 should be announced on Sept 12. One of the rumors circulating around is that this new phone will have a new connector. Therefore, BMW needs to come out with a new adapter - no?

Thoughts on how long it will take BMW to release the new adapter?

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
Therefore, BMW needs to come out with a new adapter - no?
dr
Yes for the arm rest mount, but you also have a USB port below it and all you will need is the cable that comes with the iPhone 5 to connect it to the car.

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

They'll need to release a new cradle, yes. They had one for the 3GS when it was out then released one for the iPhone 4 when it came out, so I'm sure they'll come out with a new one for the 5 as well.

The real question is how long it will take for them to make it and have it available.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
The real question is how long it will take for them to make it and have it available.
My question is why did they think they needed to add the adapter to the cradle vs just having something to hold the phone and let you use a standard iPhone USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
My question is why did they think they needed to add the adapter to the cradle vs just having something to hold the phone and let you use a standard iPhone USB cable.
99% of the functions will work with just a plain USB cable, really the only thing that doesn't work is the video output. If you don't care about video I would just get a USB cable and call it good.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Not all the apps will work unless you also got the BMW Apps thingy bob option for the car either.. despite what I was told, they no work as I don't have it
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Not all the apps will work unless you also got the BMW Apps thingy bob option for the car either.. despite what I was told, they no work as I don't have it
Really? I don't have a cradle and all the apps seem to work for me. What doesn't work for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Even if the iPhone 5 fits in the cradle designed for the iPhone 4, chances are it won't work because it detects the version of the device and rejects it if it's wrong. This is based on someone trying to get a 3GS cradle to fit an iPhone 4 - reported on this forum. Don't hold your breath for an iPhone 5 cradle. They took nearly a year to bring out the media cradle for the iPhone 4. Re. what works and what doesn't without cradle, it should only be video that you're missing if you use USB instead of media cradle

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The iPhone 5 will have two functions that can't be used with a white Apple USB cable. One, video, has already been mentioned. The other is to use the Plugin interface to music. The other music interface, through the white cable, works fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
From what I was told by my CA getting BMW Apps gives you the logic to talk to an iPhone/iPod as well as the cradle.

When I got my car my CA asked if I wanted the cradle adapter for my current iphone or if was planning to get the new iPhone. I told him I was going to get the new iPhone and he gave me a very short (~6") white cable. With this cable connected to the USB port and my iphone I can use the the BMW connected app and get art work when using pandora. I haven't tried video, never thought to, but I will if I remember tomorrow.

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I bought my car two weeks ago - I need to discuss this with my CA. Would hate to think I wasted $$ only to have it not work with new phone in 2 weeks.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #12
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I was under the impression if you don't have a cradle then you can't make use of the better quality inductive aerial which gives better reception to the phone?

Also if you have the cradle does it not charge the phone as well whereas if you are just using the USB cable then there is no charge supplied to the phone/ipod?

Finally I was wondering has no one brought out a 3rd party connector box which does all of the above without needing to buy the BMW Cradle?

Please let me know if I'm wrong on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Opinions are divided on whether or not the shark fin actually improves reception.

The phone charges off of the white USB cable. That's how I keep my phone charged. It is always plugged in on the drive to/from work.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

It must just be my old ipod classic 160gb that doesnt charge for some reason
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy577 View Post
It must just be my old ipod classic 160gb that doesnt charge for some reason

My 160GB ipod does charge with the white usb cable.

I also thought there was a thread where people bought an adapter from amazon and attached it to the cradle. This allowed the cradle to work with different apple products. Of course they would have to come up with a new cable/adapter for the iphone new dock.

found it.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...adapter&page=2
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Even if the iPhone 5 fits in the cradle designed for the iPhone 4, chances are it won't work because it detects the version of the device and rejects it if it's wrong. This is based on someone trying to get a 3GS cradle to fit an iPhone 4 - reported on this forum. Don't hold your breath for an iPhone 5 cradle. They took nearly a year to bring out the media cradle for the iPhone 4. Re. what works and what doesn't without cradle, it should only be video that you're missing if you use USB instead of media cradle

Wrong. iOS 6 works fine with BMW, have been testing for months.

The issue at hand is whether there will be ADAPTERS for the new pin connector due to the tons of already equipped "made for apple" devices out there.

Also the iPhone 5 will be a different size/shape slightly, which will also affect this.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Wrong. iOS 6 works fine with BMW, have been testing for months.

The issue at hand is whether there will be ADAPTERS for the new pin connector due to the tons of already equipped "made for apple" devices out there.

Also the iPhone 5 will be a different size/shape slightly, which will also affect this.
Nothing to do with the iOS. It was detecting the device not the iOS. Someone even modified an 3GS adapter to fit an iPhone 4 but it was rejected because the device was incompatible. Proving an iPhone 4 works with iOS6 doesn't mean an iPhone 5 will work. And you will need a working cradle to get full use of BMW Apps as per the OP's question

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The pinouts changed a bit between the 3GS and the 4, which is why the 4 won't work in a 3GS cradle. It doesn't detect the actual device. I can use my iPod touch (4th gen) in my 4 cradle and it works just fine - I just have to hold it in place. I was thinking about making some sort of rubber holder to keep it in place, but for now I just use the cable for my iPod touch and the cradle for my phone when I want to use that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
The pinouts changed a bit between the 3GS and the 4, which is why the 4 won't work in a 3GS cradle. It doesn't detect the actual device. I can use my iPod touch (4th gen) in my 4 cradle and it works just fine - I just have to hold it in place. I was thinking about making some sort of rubber holder to keep it in place, but for now I just use the cable for my iPod touch and the cradle for my phone when I want to use that.
It does detect the device and by device I am only referring to iPhones, not iPod Touch or anything else. Someone (an xBimmers member) adapted the 3GS cradle, plugged in a 4 and they got a message on iDrive saying the device wasn't supported. I can't find the post on here now but that's definitely what happened.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Can't quite see the point in the iPhone 5..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It does detect the device and by device I am only referring to iPhones, not iPod Touch or anything else. Someone (an xBimmers member) adapted the 3GS cradle, plugged in a 4 and they got a message on iDrive saying the device wasn't supported. I can't find the post on here now but that's definitely what happened.
Oh I believe you - I just think there's an actual hardware reason that this happened and not just the cradle seeing something that wasn't a 3GS and not allowing it to work for no reason.
Appreciate 0