BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Phone cradle without BMW apps?

Sorry as this must have been addressed already but I'm too lazy to search. We ordered the car with tech package but not BMW apps, so I thought there would be no phone adapter in the armrest, but there is one. So what features would I get if I got the cradle for my iPhone while still not having BMW apps compared to just using the usb port? It's slightly annoying because I'd rather have the extra storage space instead of this thing that takes up half the compartment.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you get a media cradle (you can get just a basic cradle), the functionality will be the same as with USB. If you use the cradle you also get a signal boost through the car's aerial (allegedly) and you free up the USB port for other devices. It is ridiculously big unfortunately.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

can it be easily removed to give you more storage space instead?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
can it be easily removed to give you more storage space instead?
I think someone on this forum has removed theirs. I think (but not 100%) you would have to unscrew a few pieces, unplug the wiring that goes to the cradle and then you may need to take out the arm rest bucket in order to take the cradle off its hinges. Hopefully someone else can give you a better idea.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I think...

I think what you have there is just a starter shell. There probably isn't any wiring involved with that piece. Can't be sure, but I'd look into having it removed. Who wants that in there if you don't have the cradle.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
I think what you have there is just a starter shell. There probably isn't any wiring involved with that piece. Can't be sure, but I'd look into having it removed. Who wants that in there if you don't have the cradle.
Is it wired otherwise when you add a cradle it wouldn't be able to connect. This is part of option 6NK but I think all of these options are simplified into packages in the US

Appreciate 0