BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
minaxe
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G05 45e

Servotronic!?

How many of you who have taken delivery of your F25īs have neither servotronic (216) or variable sportssteering (2VL)? In that case, whatīs your impression so far?

I have a 3.0d on order, but I canīt decide if I should go with servotronic or not.

I have test-driven a 2.0d with and without servotronic and my spontaneous impression is that servotronic makes the steering feel really artificial in lower speeds, I think that special bmw feeling gets lost. But a short test-drive is not the same thing as driving every day, and most people I have talked to recommend it. In other words Iīm wondering if Iīm missing something...

So for those of you who have put a few miles on your new X3īs and donīt have any extra steering assistance, do you regret not getting it? Does the steering feel too heavy after driving a while?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Servotronic comes standard in Canada.... so i don't have a choice...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Thought I'd bump this one as a few months have gone by and hopefully more can add their experience of Servotronic on the X3 - I have ordered it but wonder whether I should keep it or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Must have option for me. It's a big, heavy car so you need something to make the steering easier to manoeuvre at low speeds IMO. Works well at higher speeds to maintain proper feel. I have servo + sports suspension + 19s + perf control, very happy with the setup and wouldn't change it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Must have option for me. It's a big, heavy car so you need something to make the steering easier to manoeuvre at low speeds IMO. Works well at higher speeds to maintain proper feel. I have servo + sports suspension + 19s + perf control, very happy with the setup and wouldn't change it
+1
      12-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I don't have any suspension or steering options and I still make it round corners and park OK.

That said at parking speed the steering could be lighter. But whether that's because I don't have servo steering or because the steering is 'electric' not hydraulic, I don't know?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
I don't have any suspension or steering options and I still make it round corners and park OK.

That said at parking speed the steering could be lighter. But whether that's because I don't have servo steering or because the steering is 'electric' not hydraulic, I don't know?
I was told servo makes steering lighter at low speeds for parking / manoeuvering but I don't think I've driven an X3 without it (too much time elapsed between test drive and delivery!)

BMW's description of servo is as follows:
Quote:
Effortless agility when parking, light-footed responsiveness and stability at higher speeds: Servotronic adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the current speed, enhancing driver comfort by lowering the effort needed to turn the steering wheel.

The Servotronic control unit adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the speed of the vehicle. An electromagnetic valve accurately controls the amount of force applied by the steering hydraulics, enabling outstandingly precise steering that suits your current driving situation. Conventional power steering systems, by contrast, regulate the power steering in relation to the engine's RPM. The electromechanical steering system EPS uses an electric motor to achieve the same effect.

Thanks to Servotronic, driving along narrow streets or parking becomes easier as it requires minimum effort to turn the steering wheel. The power assist progressively decreases when the vehicle speeds up, ensuring greater stability, improved precision and smoother vehicle behaviour.
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I had speed dependent steering on my previous car and do not have servotronic on my x3. I missed it at first but now prefer the fact it is consistent at every speed.

The weighting of the standard steering I find is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

The demonstrators I drove didn't have Servotronic I was told and, although I had it on my option list to begin with, I didn't order.
To be honest I don't find the steering a chore at all and find the car quite easy to manoeuvre at low speeds. It did feel a little heavier than my last car at first but no big deal and I don't notice now.
Appreciate 0