BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 f80 M3 '13 f25 x3 35

Dealer can't CPO a 2013 X3

About to pull the trigger on a 2013 X3 35i for the wife. Its got about 11k miles and has been in-service for less than a year. Carfax checks out and vehicle looks clean. Spoke to the dealer about getting it CPO'ed. They say it has been passed through the program and the potential buyer passed on the CPO. Apparently they didn't buy it, but they are now saying it cannot go through the CPO process again. It is only allowed once. Never heard this before and wanted to check it out. What do y'all think?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep

Anyone? Any input you can provide would be of help as I have to make a move today. Will most likely try and contact BMW NA to ask as well, and I'll try and report back in case it can help in the future. Just never heard of this issue with CPO before. :
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

What do you mean by "the potential buyer passed on the CPO" ? Potential owner meaning someone who was going to buy it but change their mind? Or have this used X3 been on sale twice already? What does carfax say, how many owners?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
What do you mean by "the potential buyer passed on the CPO" ? Potential owner meaning someone who was going to buy it but change their mind? Or have this used X3 been on sale twice already? What does carfax say, how many owners?
Thanks The X Men for your attempt to help, I appreciate it. There were alot of unaswered questions. The Carfax did show one owner. The way it was initially explained to me made no sense so I contacted BMW NA and they were very helpful. They got in touch with the dealership as this made no sense to them either.

Basically a car can only be CPO'ed once (obviously), but if it has not been CPO'ed it can be at anytime. After discussing with the dealer again, I was able to get the proper facts. The dealer had decided not to do it because the vehicle was too new and had low miles, but they have offered to do it (at a cost of course) at our request.

Thanks again, and the takeaway is don't take what the dealer says at face value...then again, we already knew that.

Hope to join your forum soon for more discussion on the new-to-me X3. I'll try and post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Yep.... Please post some pics!
Not enough pics here!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist_ View Post
Thanks The X Men for your attempt to help, I appreciate it. There were alot of unaswered questions. The Carfax did show one owner. The way it was initially explained to me made no sense so I contacted BMW NA and they were very helpful. They got in touch with the dealership as this made no sense to them either.

Basically a car can only be CPO'ed once (obviously), but if it has not been CPO'ed it can be at anytime. After discussing with the dealer again, I was able to get the proper facts. The dealer had decided not to do it because the vehicle was too new and had low miles, but they have offered to do it (at a cost of course) at our request.

Thanks again, and the takeaway is don't take what the dealer says at face value...then again, we already knew that.

Hope to join your forum soon for more discussion on the new-to-me X3. I'll try and post some pics.
If the car is a 2013, you might want to compare the cost difference between the CPO proccess and an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I wonder if the car was a "BMW buy back" because of some issue... can you get the service records from BMW using the VIN?
      09-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the car is a 2013, you might want to compare the cost difference between the CPO proccess and an extended warranty.
They quoted ~$3000 for an extended warranty and CPO cost me $1800, I went with the CPO. I didn't try 3rd party warranties, but this seems fair to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Pharmacist_
Straight outta Loca$h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I wonder if the car was a "BMW buy back" because of some issue... can you get the service records from BMW using the VIN?
The car is a trade in (bought from the same dealer) for a 335i. There was no mention of a buy back and I will be able to see service records on Monday when I travel back to the dealership for delivery. I have not signed anything yet, so I will have a chance to run if I need to.

It couldn't be a buy back if it was a trade correct? I didn't ask because it has been told to me (as well as put on the dealer site), that this was a trade.

Seems like everything else checks out, just had to wade through the mis-information for a bit. Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Just have them run the VIN for service records and if everything looks good on paper, you should be good to go. You could even call the dealer and see if they will PDF you the service records before Monday.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist_
Quote:
They quoted ~$3000 for an extended warranty and CPO cost me $1800, I went with the CPO. I didn't try 3rd party warranties, but this seems fair to me.
It's likely they quoted you the Platinum warranty, which covers the electronics (Idrive, ect) that the CPO does not.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbman View Post
It's likely they quoted you the Platinum warranty, which covers the electronics (Idrive, ect) that the CPO does not.
That's a good point, BMW CPO warranty does not cover the following items:

Accessories

Radio/CD (or cassette) player, telephone, navigation system, CD changer, DVD player or any components of those systems, plus non-original equipment parts, components or accessories.

Upkeep Items

Maintenance; engine, transmission and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Body and Interior

Paint; glass; headlights; bulbs (except instrumentation); mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; interior and exterior trim, moldings and fasteners; upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats; convertible top (all components except electronics); air or water leaks; wind or body noises; wheels; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination except as covered by the BMW New Vehicle Rust and Corrosion Perforation Warranty.

Wear and Use

All wear-and-use items as defined in "The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Programe Consumer Information Statement" for Certified Pre-Owned BMWs (including all suspension parts and components).
Appreciate 0