BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Smart Phone Integration?

From what my dealer explained I thought I was sure I wanted the Smartphone Integration to use my iPhone with the car for calls, music, etc. and charge it on the road.

Now that I've been reading the manual and the ability to load music onto the system through the USB port, it's become very unclear to me what's most useful.

Comments?

-- Does Smartphone Integration eliminate the USB port and the AUX In ports?
-- Is there really any utility to the Smartphone Integration over a simple charging cable if you have Bluetooth and can load your music into the car once and be done with it? (Also considering the Smartphone Integration seems to take away storage space compared to a phone attached to a cord.)
-- Can an iPhone be charged with the USB port?
-- Does Smartphone Integration have something to do with being able to use the 6NR upgrade (whatever that is) and the Connected iPhone app later this Spring?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
From what my dealer explained I thought I was sure I wanted the Smartphone Integration to use my iPhone with the car for calls, music, etc. and charge it on the road.

Now that I've been reading the manual and the ability to load music onto the system through the USB port, it's become very unclear to me what's most useful.

Comments?

-- Is there really any utility to the Smartphone Integration over a simple charging cable if you have Bluetooth and can load your music into the car once and be done with it? (Also considering the Smartphone Integration seems to take away storage space compared to a phone attached to a cord.)
-- Does Smartphone Integration have something to do with being able to use the 6NR upgrade (whatever that is) and the Connected iPhone app later this Spring?
I, like you, am not sure and I plan to try out what I get as standard with the pro media package and then add any accessories that I need, probably when I get my new iPhone4.

In answer to your questions, I think the following is true:

Quote:
Does Smartphone Integration eliminate the USB port and the AUX In ports?
YES

Quote:
Is there really any utility to the Smartphone Integration over a simple charging cable if you have Bluetooth and can load your music into the car once and be done with it? (Also considering the Smartphone Integration seems to take away storage space compared to a phone attached to a cord.)
YES, the smartphone integration will also use the car's aerial as I understand it

Quote:
Can an iPhone be charged with the USB port?
Yes

Quote:
Does Smartphone Integration have something to do with being able to use the 6NR upgrade (whatever that is) and the Connected iPhone app later this Spring?
If you want this 6NR upgrade, I think you will at least need the snap-in media adaptor. bmw.co.uk describe this accessory as follows

Quote:
Snap-in media adapter

A sturdy and secure docking system for the Apple iPhone 3G/3G S, with a holder specifically designed for the BMW model in question. An external aerial ensures the best possible reception at all times. With a USB interface to connect the device's music player to the vehicle's audio system, with no cable required, allowing playback of music files through the vehicle's loudspeakers. The cover artwork for the track currently playing is shown on the vehicle's display, so you can see right away what artist or album you are listening to.
As I understand it, 6NR is only firmware, i.e. you won't need a new snap-in adaptor, BUT, that may not be the case.

And one last point:

Quote:
From what my dealer explained ...
I would recommend ignoring what your dealer had to say. At best they are vague, at worst they are misleading in my experience

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Re. 6NR and whether the only hardware that you need is the snap-in media adaptor accessory, I have emailed BMW customer services and will post the answer if I get one

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hmm. I like having the phone's reception augmented by the vehicle, but losing the USB and AUX In seem to be kind of a drag. Stumped.
      01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Hmm. I like having the phone's reception augmented by the vehicle, but losing the USB and AUX In seem to be kind of a drag. Stumped.
I dont think you lose the USB or AUX

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
davidwfx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Do you have to get/use the cradle to use the vehicle's antenna or would a cable attachment be enough? I'd rather not have to keep removing the iphone case every time I want to hook it up to the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dealer stated that the USB connection did not use the car's antenna, but that the Smartphone Integration with the cradle did.
      01-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Dealer stated that the USB connection did not use the car's antenna, but that the Smartphone Integration with the cradle did.
This is true. No cradle, no signal boost through car's aerial as I understand it

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #9
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

6NR

To get 6NR you need to get nav, Bluetooth and the snap in adapter.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
To get 6NR you need to get nav, Bluetooth and the snap in adapter.
For UK, it needs to be the snap-in media adaptor, not just the snap-in adaptor. The snap-in media adaptor is an accessory at £135 and the snap-in adaptor comes as standard with any bluetooth option or is £72 on its own.

I don't think you would need to have nav in the UK either, just iDrive, which is standard, and the media adaptor.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think there may be two pieces. One that is what they call here Smart Phone Integration and then a second snap-in adapter that accommodates your particular phone.
      01-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

Correct.

Once you have the multimedia setup (prof nav/GPS, blue) you still need to choose the snap-in adaptor type carefully - the new media adaptor provides USB & charging without affecting bluetooth setup (can pair several phones, but only one connected at any one time) AND the IOS video out function.

Seems the new 6NR is a firmware update and the latest adaptor (will need to check if the media adaptor works, or if a newer version is on the way).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
rd450
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Am I the only one that is lost with all this ?! Let me summarise my queries.

1. Someone talked about ability to upload songs to car via USB port. Is this facility available on the standard radio set up ?

2. When I plug in my iPhone via the cable I got from BMW to USB and aux in the album artwork is not displayed. If I bought the media snap in adapter this would then display it on the standard idrive screen ?

Can the snap in media adapter be fitted your self or does it need the dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
davidwfx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

According to the person I spoke with at BMW North America, 6NR "cannot be upgraded or retrofitted." She just got this from her local dealership, though, so it might not be accurate. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealership's sales manager who may be able to find out more...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #15
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I can help with some of this.

Quote:

Comments?

No. You will still have the USB and aux port ... And additionally USB port in glovebox.

Provides
Charging, external antenna connection, and ability to connect phone to idrive for music (and later media with 6nr). From 3/2011 production you will not only be able to playback music from the phone but also video through the control display (when vehicle is parked)

Yes. The iPhone can be connected to idrive using the regular apple iphone usb cable via the usb port. It will charge the phone and allow music and control playback via idrive.

Yes. BMW are suggesting right now you need the cradle (smartphone integration) for this to work ... Although I have seen it work using a older style y-cable ... However that was in a mini countryman so could be indeed different implementation and just a engineering prototype.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd450 View Post
Am I the only one that is lost with all this ?! Let me summarise my queries.

1. Someone talked about ability to upload songs to car via USB port. Is this facility available on the standard radio set up ?

2. When I plug in my iPhone via the cable I got from BMW to USB and aux in the album artwork is not displayed. If I bought the media snap in adapter this would then display it on the standard idrive screen ?

Can the snap in media adapter be fitted your self or does it need the dealer ?
I'm not sure what vehicle/production date you have but for

1. This is only available for CIC based idrive. These units have a internal hard drive. The USB port located in the glovebox is used to upload/download music from the cars internal hard drive along with other data.

2. In order to see album art you need a vehicle manufactured from September 2010 production with the new combox. You also need to use the regular apple white iphone USB cable.

The snap in cradle can be installed yourself. It snaps into the smartphone base plate. Takes seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I'm not sure what vehicle/production date you have but for

1. This is only available for CIC based idrive. These units have a internal hard drive. The USB port located in the glovebox is used to upload/download music from the cars internal hard drive along with other data.

2. In order to see album art you need a vehicle manufactured from September 2010 production with the new combox. You also need to use the regular apple white iphone USB cable.

The snap in cradle can be installed yourself. It snaps into the smartphone base plate. Takes seconds.
CIC based idrive => only if you have professional multimedia package on an X3, no other way to have an internal hard drive as part of factory fitted options. No hard drive, no uploading music but you can still listen with the ipod/iphone plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
X3 owners have reported that this doesn't work with a standard USB cable. You need a media snap-in adaptor to see the artwork on albums. A standard white Apple USB cable will only let you play the music, list tracks etc. See Alpine Tourists posts on this

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #18
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
No hard drive, no uploading music but you can still listen with the ipod/iphone plugged in
Not tested given the car spec I had but I believe you can also stream music from other USB mass storage devices like USB sticks and portable HDDs (bus powered only of course i.e. something like a WD Passport which uses the USB power rather than something like a WD MyBook which needs mains power).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
No hard drive, no uploading music but you can still listen with the ipod/iphone plugged in
Not tested given the car spec I had but I believe you can also stream music from other USB mass storage devices like USB sticks and portable HDDs (bus powered only of course i.e. something like a WD Passport which uses the USB power rather than something like a WD MyBook which needs mains power).
Agree that most USB storage devices will connect and allow you to play music stored on them.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

New X3 owner's manual is now posted on the BMW website and has some of the detailed info (though nothing about 6NR yet). My wife has Microsoft's Sync in her car that also allows playback from a USB stick but I could never figure out how to set up / play playlists. Thus, we rarely used it seems how the stored songs were so random and I didn't feel like talking to the car in-between every song.

My question is whether iDrive would allow creation of a playlist once songs are loaded to the hard drive. Anyone have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Sat Nav for idrive

Hi All,

Is it possible to use the sat nav app on the iphone on the idrive screen?

If that possible, then there is no need to get a sat nav ?

I am not very technical, so pls help.

BTW, I have order an X3 with prof media, I am not sure whether that's necessary really if I can use the iphone's sat nav on the screen.

Thanks for you help!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have neither heard nor read anything suggesting it is currently possible to display the iPhone screen on iDrive. Don't know if that might be something coming with the new BMW iPhone application. I considered it unlikely enough that I have not counted on it myself.