BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

rear turn signal bulb replacement

My car displayed the following message, "right rear turn signal malfunction. Have the System checked by the nearest BMW center".

The local dealership said they needed the car but they did not have a loner car for me. I'm too busy at work to be without a car so I'm hoping I can replace the bulb myself.

Anyone know how to access and replace the bulb? The owner's manual wasn't much help.
Attached Images

Last edited by lbjgh; 12-14-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

For the manual to be of assistance, you have to open and read it. It is very clear on how to replace a rear blinker bulb. It is even nice enough to list the bulb type right there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

hehe, I clearly missed that when I clicked the hyperlink that redirected me to pg. 254 (embeded in the PDF).

Thank you for the polite and helpful reponse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
For the manual to be of assistance, you have to open and read it. It is very clear on how to replace a rear blinker bulb. It is even nice enough to list the bulb type right there.
      12-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

i had that error and it went away....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I removed the tail light and the bulb was OK. Then I took a bit of emery cloth and cleaned the contacts... nadda.

I then switched the bulbs... same thing turn signal bulb did not work.

After reassembling the housing and reinstalling it onto the car the light mysteriously worked again. After driving for a few blocks the fault reoccurred and the light stopped working so it looks like a trip to the dealer is in order.

It is surprising to see the engineering BMW put in a simple tail light assembly! I wonder if the the small module in the tail light (red arrow) is also responsible for the fault. DOH
Attached Images

12-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

The little board is just for the LED lights in the tail light. A blinker malfunction is just when the light module sees an unexpected resistance on that light. Could be a flaky ground connection or bad light holder, or bad bulb. Does sound less straightforward than just a bulb replacement if swapping bulbs didn't work. The dealer can probably nail it down in short order.

If you wanted to DIY though:

1: Swap bulbs between sides to see if it follows the bulb.
2: Do the same with the carrier

If fault "follows" either component then there is your problem, if it stays on the same side, then likely a grounding problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions evil. I can't get an appointment until the new year so I have some time to fiddle around before I get into the dealer.