BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post Design That Moves. The BMW Design DNA

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Design That Moves. The BMW Design DNA
COMMENTS

BMW is a byword for authentic, forward-looking automotive design. Authentic in that the design points to the experience that awaits you. It holds out a promise that is fulfilled the moment you set eyes on the car. Every BMW is instantly recognisable as such and conveys what the brand stands for: Sheer Driving Pleasure. BMW design is forward-looking in that it displays pioneering innovations which time and again raise the bar in the premium segment of the automotive industry. Over many decades, a variety of design elements have formed the unique DNA of BMW as defined by its distinctive proportions, surfaces and details. Each BMW interprets these hallmark features anew to express its own individual character. BMW recognised the character-shaping value of these design cues early on and has systematically nurtured them over the years. They can be found in every BMW, past and present.

The distinctive hallmarks: proportions, surfaces, details.

BMW design embodies the perfect harmony of technology and aesthetics. Here function takes on a form and beauty of its own. Among the salient features of a BMW are its proportions, surfaces and detailing. Their interplay moulds the character of a BMW and spawns the unmistakable BMW look. The characteristic proportions – long wheelbase, short overhangs, stretched bonnet and set-back passenger cell – evoke the sporty elegance and dynamics of every BMW even before a wheel has turned. The individual character of each vehicle is conveyed through meticulously sculpted surfaces, tautly drawn and contoured by precise lines to shape the body of the car. Each model evinces its own interpretation of the surface design, creating richly faceted accents through precision detailing.

Name:  P90088978.jpg
Views: 9302
Size:  51.8 KB

Incisive aesthetics: the BMW face.

The front end of a BMW alone sports signature features that unmistakably identify the car as a BMW. The two-part kidney-shaped radiator grille, the brand emblem set centrally above it, and the twin round headlights jointly form a striking design composition in which the front headlamps, “sawn off” at the top, define the customary intent look that is firmly focused on the road ahead. The radiator grille – familiarly known as the “kidney grille” – was first introduced in 1933 and has over time evolved into BMW’s most conspicuous feature. This iconic BMW design element appears in many different renditions and continues to define the face of a BMW to this day: flanked by the hallmark twin round headlamps with light rings, it forms the centrepiece of an ensemble that imprints a unique look on each BMW.

Name:  P90088976.jpg
Views: 9305
Size:  44.8 KB

Characteristic flow of body lines.

The side view similarly displays numerous hallmark BMW design elements that are variously interpreted according to model. The long bonnet smoothly segues into the set-back passenger cell to create a stretched outline that is both elegant and functional, generating a dynamic silhouette that imbues the car with a forward-surging stance even when stationary. The long wheelbase provides a dynamic and elegant base for the car, while short overhangs at the front and rear bracket the familiar BMW proportions that are divided by just a few eloquent lines. Also characteristic is the side window surface which, with its chrome-coloured frame, takes its lead from the formal language of a coupé. It tapers into the Hofmeister kink, a dynamic counter-sweep at the base of the rear pillar that supports the roof and separates the rear side windows from the rear windscreen. This styling element, named after former BMW Design Director Wilhelm Hofmeister, gives the window outline a forward thrust while accentuating a further BMW hallmark: rear-wheel drive. Beneath the window frame, a precise swage line with integrated door handles runs along the side to divide the car body. Emanating from the front, this line extends to the rear in a single, sweeping motion that rises at varying angles depending on the model, lending the car a pronounced wedge shape.

Name:  P90088977.jpg
Views: 9271
Size:  56.3 KB

Driver orientation and ergonomics in the interior.

BMW design is known for its driver-oriented approach. The ergonomic configuration of the interior firmly defers to the driver: important operating and control elements in the instrument panel and centre console are angled towards the driving seat for optimum visibility and are thus within the driver’s direct reach. Likewise, all the display elements are arranged in the driver’s direct field of vision so that information relevant to various driving situations is easily accessible. Select materials and a finely harmonised colour scheme underline the design statement of the interior and highlight the vehicle’s character on the inside as well. This methodical focus on the driver not only emphasises the ergonomics but also the strong emotional aspect of the interior design.

On the inside, the individual character of a BMW is expressed in the special interplay of surfaces and lines that follows the layering principle. This refers to levels made up of different materials that are arranged on top of each other and serve different purposes, bringing alive the interior surfaces and dynamics. For the interior design of BMW cars, this layering approach ushers in a new, modern aesthetic and creates a visual lightness.

Name:  P90088980.jpg
Views: 9367
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  P90088981.jpg
Views: 9355
Size:  41.9 KB

“We design moving products, both in the functional and in the emotional sense. Our design is authentic; it indicates what you can experience with our products and evokes the heritage of the brand. But our design is also geared towards the future and lends a face and soul to the cutting-edge technology that defines our products. Beyond that, our design evinces a keen attention to detail, with customers still discovering intriguing design elements years down the line.” Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President
BMW Group Design.

Name:  P90088983.jpg
Views: 9648
Size:  202.2 KB

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
haroon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

BMW is better car ever
Can't buy another brand after u buy BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon View Post
BMW is better car ever
Once you drive a BMW, you can't go back!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Rolle10
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Once you drive a BMW its no going back!!! Thats how simple it is!!! I havent heard anybody ho have driven à BMW that its not a brilliant car!! My love for BMW vill last Forever, it cant be no other way!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

There is definitely a design language which distinguishes a well designed brand across its products. Chris Bangle made his own divergence in that language, but things have returned to a saner state.

One must remember that modern automobile design is heavily influenced by aerodynamics, crash survival, weight and even regulatory quirks that make it beneficial to place the wheels as close to the corners of the vehicle as possible. It isn't so easy to be distinctive when these factors favor convergence.
      04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
I spotted of course the similar car in the picture of the 7 cars above. it is not a Sedan like ours perhaps it is the 1987 M5 I'm not sure. Perhaps someone can tell me what model it is.
I'm pretty sure the car in the picture is not a 5 series but a 6 series (hence the 2 doors)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Nice looking line up. They have done a great job of translating lines into design. At times the car looks fluid standing still.

Liking that interior.
      04-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
ab3
ab3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz View Post
I'm pretty sure the car in the picture is not a 5 series but a 6 series (hence the 2 doors)
That whole picture is of 6 series and their earlier ancestors starting with (I think) the 327, 503, 3200 CS, E9, E24, E63, and the F13.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroon
BMW is better car ever
That's right. You move up to Porsche and Ferrari!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO
Quote:
BMW is better car ever
^ +1 Agreed, my all time fav is the Ferrari 308 GTB
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Marketing marketing marketing...
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
^ +1 Agreed, my all time fav is the Ferrari 308 GTB
wow, i thought i was the only one...

BMW, then Porsche, then Ferrari.... and with the 288 GTO being the summum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
EDIT ... I've checked my photo gallery and actually found a photo I took in May 2009 in the BMW museum of the M5 e28 so on second thought I don't think the one in the original post is a M5 at all. I only took a photo of the M5 from the rear
It's a 6 series in Jason's post

THANKS JASON FOR THIS THREAD !!!
Not everyone knows about the family traits and signatures of BMWs even tho they can recognize it... and so it's always useful to have a reference such as this thread, for those people to know and to learn about the loyalty of the brand to details common to most every BMWs.

i most love the focus look of BMW cars...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #13
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Its either a 635csl or a 645csl. It was a beaut in its day!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
haroon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO
Quote:
BMW is better car ever
Yea u r right but not a Audi or Benz
I think BMW makes better than both these company,
I would buy Lamborghini over anything lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #15
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep

Does anybody from BMW AG ever read this blog?
I have been a keen and devoted customer since 1993 and have had the pleasure of owning many BMWs. The easthetic line of DNA is important but not the reason why I have always owned BMWs. The balance and resistance to understeer gives the driver the ability to place the vehicle carefully and precisely espesially at the limit of adhesion and is apparent in every model. This is SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE and is the backbone of BMWs DNA and has been my order winner since the day i experienced my first drive in a E30 BMW.
Another DNA that i hope you will keep is the manual gearbox option. Although not better, it is more involving for the driver, heal and toe, timing of change, using the clutch correctly etc. espesially the M cars around the track it is more of a challenge! Thanx another loyal customer
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #16
DonnvWarner
Rep
Drives: bmw

It was a beaut in its day!
      04-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #17
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

"Beyond that, our design evinces a keen attention to detail, with customers still discovering intriguing design elements years down the line.” Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President"

I found this line interesting...as I was just realizing this about my E92 this morning while having coffee. The car does look different every day and I enjoy it more, not less, as I own it and drive it.

More fawning for the fanboi page, but I feel it!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #18
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Once you go BMW, you can't go back! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriansideways View Post
Its either a 635csl or a 645csl. It was a beaut in its day!
Did they make 645csi? I have never seen those.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep

No youre right it was a e23 745i limited ed. The 6 was indeed a 635csi. Memory fading a bit
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Etek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

having owned a stage 2 Audi b5 s4 and now a 335..I'm very impressed. I've always loved BMW's but never pulled the trigger for differing reasons. I'm happy I finally did and wished I did so years ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I have owned 4 from a 1994 318i, 1995 M3, 1988 E30 M3(Holy Grail of M3's)and now a Z4 M Coupe. the wife has owned a 2001 328i, a 2004 330i, and now an 2007 X3. When I finally decided to sell the E30 M3, I didn't know what I wanted. I even entertained a Mustang GT, Porsche 911, Lotus Ellise, and drove all of them. None had the "FEEL" I was accustom to though. I have even drove a Ferrari Testarossa, and 458 Italia. Awesome cars just not practical for me. MB and Audi offerend nothing interesting. After all that I bought the Z4 M Coupe. I knew it would be hard to leave the mark, just not that difficult. Looks like I am a life member, and couldn't be happier about it.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0