BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Terr
Rep
Drives: A3

Advice for first time buyer.

Hi everyone. I'm just about to book an appointment with my local BMW dealer after test driving all the potential car candidates and settling on the X3.

I've never bought a car from a dealer before and this will be my first time. I'm a cash buyer but might part exchange my current car depending on what price I can get.

I'm really hoping someone can give me a few tips on how best to negotiate with the dealer, what kind of discount (or not) I can expect and whether or not a part exchange is a good idea.

At the moment I'm looking to get an X3 with quite a few checked boxes. My current car is worth around £4k but has very low mileage which means I could potentially get more if I sold privately.

Does anyone know what, if any, discount exists for X3s in the UK at the moment?

I'm also unclear on whether or not a deal could involve a discount if a part exchange were to be settled on.

No idea how any of this works, please help!

Last edited by Terr; 05-19-2015 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Hi Terr,

I had the same dilemma when I bought my X3. I'd always been a company car driver, then I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe at a big discount due to a company scheme. The X3 was the first time I bought and tried to negotiate.

I'd advise you to do your research before hand. i.e. some web based brokers will give you an online quote i.e. drivethedeal.com, carfile.net etc. Use that as evidence that you can get a deal elsewhere.

If the dealer knows you are serious about completing the deal on the day they will want to close it. I said to them- 'I know I can get this deal with xyz.com broker, but I'd prefer to deal directly with you'

The dealer is obviously looking to make as much profit as possible so would like to sell you finance/ GAP insurance/ paint protection etc. etc. Occasionally they give you an overall better deal by taking an option, but be very careful. I took my laptop with me, and a self made excel sheet to crunch the figures they gave me. Get the 5 year service plan, it's a no brainer.

When I got a recent quote for Part-Ex on my X3 from BMW the quote was very poor. webuyanycar was giving more money. Previously I sold my Santa Fe for £4k more then BMW were offering.

Not sure on recent discounts, I got 8% from memory but needed some finance, from which the dealer which makes margin. I hope others can comment on cash buyer discount levels. Might be worth taking some finance, and sticking your cash in the 3% APR bank account from the 'Spanish Bank'.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Get a load of quotes from the online brokers, drivethedeal, coast2coastcars, etc. etc.

X3's still have crap discounts on them, they are in demand. You can get nearly £10,000 of a new 5 series, but £3-4k was about it on an X3, well was in Feb.

I would keep very quiet about being a cash buyer, pretend you are going to finance it, then at the last minute when the deal is done, so you will pay cash. You will get a better discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Dealers definitely prefer customers who finance their cars. I bought mine cash and the dealer said that less than 5% of their customers paid cash.
My one bit of advice is to go in with a maximum price that you will pay (as long as it is reasonable) and absolutely stick to it. I got up and walked out when they wouldn't give me the deal I wanted and the phone was ringing when I got home saying they would do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

2.0d longer delivery so less or no discount. Bigger engine 3.0d and 35d available for quicker delivery and therefore some discount available. What Car magazine claim they can put you in touch with a dealer who will give the What Car specified discount. Never used it but might be worth researching
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Terr
Rep

£10k off an X5? Wow!

It might be a bit late to pretend I need finance as I outright told them I would be a cash buyer on the test drive. (Had no idea they preferred finance to cash but I suppose it makes sense.)

I will keep in mind everything else and do my research before going in for the deal.

ianfp I'm afraid I'm not too sure what a reasonable max would be. Shall I say about 6-7% off and stick with that?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

You are aware of the crazy long deliverytimes in the UK ? Up to 9 (yes NINE) months

I live in Europe and got 12 % discount. I got the car in 4 months, exactly like the dealer predicted.
      05-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
first you should see what the value of your car is, privately and trade in...

shop around for the x3 of your choice with options of your desire that will meet your budget if thhat is the case.

Having these 2 things is important so you wont lose money on trade in or buy something your not happy.

you can always negotiate price

just my experience

good luck

Last edited by nyalpine90; 05-19-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
You are aware of the crazy long deliverytimes in the UK ? Up to 9 (yes NINE) months

I live in Europe and got 12 % discount. I got the car in 4 months, exactly like the dealer predicted.
Wasn't quite expecting it to be 9 months! The wait doesn't bother me too much but I was previously under the impression that it would be closer to 4 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Wasn't quite expecting it to be 9 months! The wait doesn't bother me too much but I was previously under the impression that it would be closer to 4 months.
Well it might be less than 9 months (maybe 6 or 7 with a little luck) . But I have not seen anyone from UK here that got his car in 4 months yet. I think the steeringwheel on the wrong side is the problem (no joke).
      05-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Well it might be less than 9 months (maybe 6 or 7 with a little luck) . But I have not seen anyone from UK here that got his car in 4 months yet. I think the steeringwheel on the wrong side is the problem (no joke).
Not the wrong side my friend but rather the 'right' side.

At least BMW are doing better than Audi. The Q5 has an offset driving position with no space for the resting foot. I'd hate to think what it must be like to drive that thing on long journeys.

I wonder if all factory orders at BMW involve such long waits.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
But I have not seen anyone from UK here that got his car in 4 months yet.
Under four months is possible but you really need to be firm with them. Mine ordered 19 Dec 14, and I took delivery 14 April. So, 116 days not bad but then it was a 3.0D and the 2.0D was a longer quote I seem to recall.
      05-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Under four months is possible but you really need to be firm with them. Mine ordered 19 Dec 14, and I took delivery 14 April. So, 116 days not bad but then it was a 3.0D and the 2.0D was a longer quote I seem to recall.
Good to know, Rich. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #14
bleedsoff
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D

Why not consider used? Get it quickly then.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #15
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2
Quote:
Just ordered a 30d M Sport in UK already have a build date with delivery set for first week of Sept. Have a 20 year relationship with dealer so that may have helped.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsoff View Post
Haven't really thought about used. It sounds silly but since I'm not the type to change to cars frequently, I would prefer everything to be just the way I've specified. In that sense the wait doesn't bother me too much though of course a shorter wait is preferable to a longer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Just ordered a 30d M Sport in UK already have a build date with delivery set for first week of Sept. Have a 20 year relationship with dealer so that may have helped.
Various dealers have informed me to expect a September/October delivery but now I'm not so sure since I'm after a 20d M Sport.

Do you mind me asking what kind of % you got off the listed price?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr
Quote:
Haven't really thought about used. It sounds silly but since I'm not the type to change to cars frequently, I would prefer everything to be just the way I've specified. In that sense the wait doesn't bother me too much though of course a shorter wait is preferable to a longer one.

Quote:
Various dealers have informed me to expect a September/October delivery but now I'm not so sure since I'm after a 20d M Sport.

Do you mind me asking what kind of % you got off the listed price?
Agree 20d M Sport has longer delivery. Re discount the standard BMW line is the X3 is the best model in their range for retaining value and they don't offer discounts. However they will, but probably down to how you approach it, the time of the month/ quarter and what type of relationship you have with the dealer. Also less discount on the 20d than 30d or 35d

What Car say you should be able to get £1400 off base price plus same percentage on options. They will find you a dealer.

http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/target-price/1214366
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #18
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agree 20d M Sport has longer delivery. Re discount the standard BMW line is the X3 is the best model in their range for retaining value and they don't offer discounts. However they will, but probably down to how you approach it, the time of the month/ quarter and what type of relationship you have with the dealer. Also less discount on the 20d than 30d or 35d

What Car say you should be able to get £1400 off base price plus same percentage on options. They will find you a dealer.

http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/target-price/1214366
Thank you so much for your help! I will check it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

You'll get more than £1400 off, you will get around £2700 off a 20d M-Sport and around £5000 off a 30d M-Sport.
All the brokers are offering this so don't accept any less.

That is also something to consider, a 30d works out around £3k more than a 20d after discounts, and has a residual value of £4k more after 3 years and 35k miles, so in real terms is no more money over 3-5 years, in fact may actually be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #20
Terr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You'll get more than £1400 off, you will get around £2700 off a 20d M-Sport and around £5000 off a 30d M-Sport.
All the brokers are offering this so don't accept any less.

That is also something to consider, a 30d works out around £3k more than a 20d after discounts, and has a residual value of £4k more after 3 years and 35k miles, so in real terms is no more money over 3-5 years, in fact may actually be cheaper.
I'm more concerned about running costs, insurance etc. I think 2.0d is sufficient enough for my needs so haven't thought about a 3.0d. Is it noticeably better in everyday driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Insurance will be negligible, mpg is not worth worrying about imho. I would take both out and see what mpg YOU get in them, some people see 33 vs 43, others see 36 vs 39.
Depends what sort of driving you do, what the terrain is like etc.

The 30d is a lot smoother, and far more effortless, the 20d feels more nimble and more chuckable.

I always used to have the 6cyl cars, but then my wife got a 320d sport touring, I had the 335i at the time, and it was great fun once mapped, so started to consider 4cyl cars again.
I have a CRD-T+ box on mine and it is plenty quick enough and has transformed it, plus I am still seeing 44mpg average.
Would I prefer a 35d? Yeah of course, but would I have paid £32k for one in my spec vs the £26k I paid for this? No chance.

You need to try both though, as at £3k difference new I would go 30d.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #22
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
I'm more concerned about running costs, insurance etc. I think 2.0d is sufficient enough for my needs so haven't thought about a 3.0d. Is it noticeably better in everyday driving?
If you are not bothered about running costs, etc, then it is a no brainer, you must go and drive a 3.0d and you will soon see that the words "I think 2.0d is sufficient for my needs" might not be an appropriate statement and could be incorrect. Only you can decide.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-21-2015 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0