BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
avincar
Private
Rep
Drives: touring sedan

Audio system upgrade in X3

I've done a couple of audio upgrades in X3s. We specialize in invisible, non-invasive, and musical installs. No "Pimp My Ride", no thump.

Well, we recently did the most complex sound system in an X3 so far, and it's still pretty darned invisible, and it sounds great.

We retained the factory HU. The non-DSP X3s have full-range, non-equalized balanced preamp outputs to the amp from the HU. These outputs are sensitive to loading and can go into high-current protection shutdown with many OEM interface methods.

Do it right, and it works great. I've learned from experience with other X3s how to make this work.

The system diagram;

We installed the following:

- Morel Hybrid Ovation 4 components in the front doors (bi-amplified). These have a 28mm silk tweeter that plays down to 1800 Hz, a 2" motor coil, and neodymium magnets on the mid for small size. I played these 4" mids very low and it worked very well. (I also damped the backs of the doors ).

- Morel Integra Ovation point-source speakers in the rear doors (using passive crossovers)

- A flat 8" woofer in the rear (more on this later).

We also amplified the OEM underseat 6's as midbass speakers.

We used Zapco amps because they work great, they sound amazing, and they have true balanced inputs, which work great with the X3 HU when interfaced properly.

- A Zapco DC360 4-channel amp in the floor (Sub and midbass).

- A Zapco DC360 4-channel amp in the driver's side panel (F mids and F tweets).

- A Zapco DC200 2-channel amp in the driver's side panel (Rear coaxes).

For these amps to fit we modded the pocket - we made it shallower:

To run this many inputs off of the F output of the BMW HU, we used a Zapco Symbilink line driver as a buffer amp.

One reason we were using so many channels is because the client wanted time correction for each of the drivers. The DC amps have DSP functions built in. Each front driver, the rear point-source drivers, and the sub are all arriving at the driver's head in perfect alignment. When you play the test disc track witha voice at "left - left center - center - right center - right", the vocals are perfectly palced, and then when you play misc, it's amazing to see how much location information there was in the recording that really IS audible in a car. In short, amazing imaging.

We know that that doesn't work well for a front-seat passenger, so we installed a Zapco DRC controller in the center console. This has 5 presets for easy control of the amplifier's DSP functions - time alignment, crossover, gain, and equalization. The system is programmed for driver's seat time corrected and non-time corrected presets. The DRC color is programmed to matche the BMW illumination.

Now, the MB Quart RUA-210 is the only speaker I've found that can be dropped into the X3 due to depth limits. However, that speaker just wasn't going to cut it for this client - it's not that great a speaker.

If you remove the door panels and take off the grilles, you can mod the front of the door panel behind the grille by cutting a slightly larger hole in it - exposing the black plastic plate behind it. Then you can front load the Morel woofer.

Then you take the metal mesh off of the plastic frame it's wrapped around. There is a sheet of black cheesecloth behind the mesh, and a layer of foam behind the cloth. Cut the foam away from the tweeter and mid holes (yes, the BMW tweeters have a 1/8" foam sheet over them!) and then cut a larger hole in the black grille frame that will accomodate the frame OD of the Morel driver.

Then glue the frame back on the door panel. Repeat three more times. Lots of work but it works MARVELOUSLY ! The Morels do NOT hit the back of the grille, either. Tested with a 14VDC Makita battery.

I attribute the image height to the high position of the mid and tweet in the doors. The midbass is not bad, much better than stock, but I'm concerned about blowing an OEM woofer so I don't drive those underseat speakers as hard as I could. With any kind of acoustic music, the drums are solidly in front of the listener.

On the woofer, I usually use an Avincar 8" I get from an OEM maker. very shallow, very musical, works in 0.3 cf. But this client had 80% rap songs on his iPod. I was worried about output. So I tested and used a Pioneer flat 8" woofer. It had that peak that rap music often wants, and was better for that than my 8" is. If I had to do it again, for this kind of music (which is NOT my specilty) I would use a flat 10", I think... but I didn't have room for a bigger amp - this 8" is running on only 180W!

We also have made the woofer enclosure in the past very thin, and left the corner pocket usable. In this case, we made it larger, for more low-end thump - not my speed, but something I felt was a good call in the circumstances. I was very pleased with the match on the upholstery.

System sounded great, imaging was amazing, not a hint of engine noise, and looks stock!
      06-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
avincar
Private
Rep
Drives: touring sedan

30 hits and not one post? They must be search bots...
      06-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

I think this is a real nice job. Were just about gettin an x3 for my sister in Pitssburgh, PA. Which I will also use, because I will attend the same college as hers. So, maybe I will be upgrading the stock sound system who knows haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
fijigabe0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

very impressive. i'm not one to leave stock alone, but i'm impressed by even the mild base unit in these cars. i can imagine that the upgraded unit sounds that much better!

'13 335i M-Sport

Past - '06 330xi, '07 X3 3.0si, '09 328i, '12 X3 XDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
jknj
Rep
Drives: 12 x3 in Deep Sea Blue

Hello avincar, I am trying to replace my amp in my 05 x3. I know it is located in the left rear. Is there any good documentation on how to remove the panel covering the amp? Clearly form your photos, you have achieved this goal. Any help would be appreciated. One other question: Have you ever heard of anyone who has successfully changed their factory amp from the standard HiFi amp to the Top HiFi amp? It looks like it may work. I am thinking about making a few tweaks to eliminate the need to run extra wires thorugh the doors, and use passive corssovers with the Infinity Kappa 42.9i speakers I have already installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
MiscExpense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

Nice job
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #7
efunroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325

Nice job,

A question about the amp choice. Zapco 360.4 has the power 50 RMS per channel, but the speaker need more power(>100RMS). Is Zapco 1000.4 more suitable?

Morel Ovation 4" woofer: 100RMS
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mo...rs_hybrid.html
MT-22 tweeter: 110RMS
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/mo...ters_mt22.html
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
milesward
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

This looks very nice!

I'm a happy recent X3 owner, and I'm glad to see that someone has figured these beasts out. Could you msg me install time and cost for this setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
marakbai
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Garage List
Sirius

I just want satellite radio. Has anyone figured that out yet?

Thanks
SG 2010 BMW X3 30i xDrive
Automatic; Executive
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
asegovia
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3d remus exaust, chip

Hey.. is there any way I can get that mold for the woofer or that you can manufacture a box for a 10" flat pioneer woofer for me...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
X3 Oilsjt
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 with sportpack

Very nice job !
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
massenoj
Rep
Drives: '04 X3

I need a Lear 65126946727 amp for my daughter's '04 X3. Any leads? The head unit comes on but reverts to time display after about ten seconds. No sound. No noise. No nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by massenoj View Post
I need a Lear 65126946727 amp for my daughter's '04 X3. Any leads? The head unit comes on but reverts to time display after about ten seconds. No sound. No noise. No nothing.
sorry but what is that? Are you trying to upgrade or replace?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

I know this is an old post, but I am very interested in the install (have an 07 X3 with crappy sound system), and wanted to get a list of materials as well as the diagram.. Please email me at rmerkushen@comcast.net

Regards,
Roman
Appreciate 0