BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
jb53
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Dynamic Handling Package vs Non-DHP X3's in Normal Driving Mode

Can anyone who has driven both the Dynamic Handling Package and Non-DHP X3's comment on the effectiveness of the components of this option?

I have a 2008 X3 non-sport suspension and I have not been enjoying the ride, but I love the handling and its agility. I know there have been many posts in all the forums about the DHP package and I have read many of them, but I have not really come away with any definitive answers that relate to Normal versus Sport driving.

I have tried to find an X3 at a dealership with DHP to do my own comparison test drives; unfortunately there are none available, so I am looking for some input.

If someone knows where I can find answers, please direct me to them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Question 1: Can anyone who has driven an X3 with and without the Dynamic Handling Package in Normal Mode compare the ride and steering in respect to comfort?

Question 2: Does Dynamic Damper Control have any effect on the ride in the Normal Mode? Is the Dynamic Damper Control continuously operational or do you have to switch to Sport or Sport + Modes for it to be active?

Question 3: How do you like Variable Sport Steering compared to the standard steering in Normal Mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

I have DHP (and SAP) with my one month-old X3 35i and I must say that I highly recommend both options. When I test drove an X3, I only drove cars without DHP (one with SAP and the without). I was coming from a 335i sedan with sport package and my impression was that both test cars had a softer ride than my 335i. While this made my wife happy, and I could appreciate it on some of our pot-holed Massachusetts roads, I felt that I'd miss the sportier feel, so I ordered my car with DHP.

So in answer to your questions:

1. DHP in normal mode is IMHO very similar to the ride in a non-DHP X3. In sport mode the ride is firmer -- closer to (but not quite as tight) as my old 335i. I use both regularly depending on the road and my mood

2. I could be mistaken, but I think DDC is what makes it possible to have a Normal and a Sport mode. In other words, it's always in effect and manages the ride feel.

3. When I ordered DHP, I was very reticent about the Variable Sport Steering. I was actually hoping that there was a way to get DDC without it. Now that I have the car, I would say that it's a great feature -- not a must have, but very nice. It certainly makes it easier to make tight turns and more convenient when parallel parking. I'm happy that I have it.
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

The change in steering is a vast improvement over the steering in normal mode - that is the primary reason I put it in sport when I drive (I really dislike the steering feel in normal mode).
      02-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Talking Learnings

I also have a 335 and X3. We set the sport setting to chassis only on the DHP and get handling and feel almost equal the the 335. Leaving the power train settings alone, keeps the economy reasonable. Without the DHP set this way the handling and feel is much softer than the 335 and the older X3's. I cant wait for my new F30 with the DHP scheduled for next fall.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
jb53
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Answers from BMW North America

Questions:

Is Dynamic Damper Control included with the M Sport Package ZMP

Does Dynamic Damper Control have any effect to ride in the Normal Mode? *Is it continuously operational or do you have to switch to Sport or Sport + Modes, is there any difference to the ride of an X3 with or without Dynamic Damper Control in Normal Mode?

BMW North America answer:

"Dynamic Damper Control is technically not part of the M Sport Package.* However, you can select 223 Dynamic Damper Control instead of 225 Sport Suspension Delete – by doing this, you will automatically be required to order the Dynamic Handling Package (ZDH).* A car equipped with Dynamic Damper Control will have a slightly stiffer/sportier suspension set-up in “normal” mode than a car equipped without the option.* However, “comfort” mode with Dynamic Damper Control will be a softer ride than “normal” mode without the option."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Shows you how little BMW NA knows: there is no "Comfort" setting with DHP on the X3...
Appreciate 0