BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Winter tyres in South East England

I'm getting a good deal on some lightly used F25 17" alloys. The tyres are partly worn, but that's fine as i can choose my own brand of rubber.
The question i ping pong with is do i really need a winter set of wheels in the London suburbs? We do occasional trips to the West Midlands, but the majority of the driving is around the South East.
Logic says winter tyres will improve wet braking,
Give the X3 true snow capability
Summer tyres on 19" rims will last a lot longer

But there is the additional cost associated with maintaining 2 sets of wheels....

Your thoughts?
      03-12-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
interlock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 M35d

I am getting two sets but live in Aberdeenshire and go skiing so they pay for themselves. Good all season can also give you the better performance in the winter months just not the same as full winters. But you loose the summer performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have had a similar dilemma since buying my X3 over 2 years ago. The previous year to getting the X3, we had about three weeks of snow and that was when I started considering an X3. However, since getting it, there has barely been one flake of snow here on the South East coast, so I have decided against winter wheels. At one stage, I did try and find some all season tyres for my 19" wheels as a compromise, but decided that they were not called for either.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:08 AM   #4
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I have two sets .. Winter/summer

The winters were bought second hand and still have a value about what I paid for them

This winter has been very wet rather than snowy/icy

I have found the winters far better at dealing with standing water and streaming roads than the summers

The few days of snow

I think I'll get 2/3 winters out of the used set .. So they will save me a set of summers

I'm thinking of switching to one set of all seasons in the future though

That said I do live in the Lancashire hills on the edge of the Yorkshire dales so my weather is somewhat worse than London

At least 4/5 degrees colder all year

That said .. I need my car .. I need the mobility and the weather here can be harsh

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #5
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
My commute to work last week ... Not quite the M25 !
Attached Images

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We have 2 sets, the only real extra cost is the changeover/storage... given the wear is going to occur anyhow. No real snow for last 2 years, but we do the odd long trip in winters so it makes them worth while and also the wet performance is a lot better in winter - so on balance we like them. We even now have them for our i3! (can with the rims we wanted) and the same applies the only cost is the changeover - but they are a lot better performance in the wet which we have had a lot off.
So yes in the SE / SW they are a bit of a 50/50 option but on balance worth the relative cost. If I lived north of London/Bristol would be an easy yes option.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

I also live in the south of England. It seems that we see rain frequently but snow/ice only rarely. The option for winter tyres is a question I have pondered myself but I feel everyone will have a different answer depending on their circumstances. In my case as I do not need to use my X3 every day and have access to an old fwd car, I have not yet bought. Interested to hear comments about the benefits on rainy roads though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
....But there is the additional cost associated with maintaining 2 sets of wheels....
There isn't a cost in maintaining two sets. Running winters offsets the cost of the summer set.

I wouldn't be without them. Extra capability in the wet and cold. It's nothing like the snow I used to get up north
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #9
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Storage isn't an issue for me, as i have 2 dry sheds. How to do change them come spring/autumn? Have you bought a scissor jack or take the car plus winters to a tyre centre?
I can't find anywhere in the UK to buy a sensibly priced jack (less than £150!!)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #10
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood
Storage isn't an issue for me, as i have 2 dry sheds. How to do change them come spring/autumn? Have you bought a scissor jack or take the car plus winters to a tyre centre?
I can't find anywhere in the UK to buy a sensibly priced jack (less than £150!!)
I don't know where you are looking but eBay is awash with jacks from about £10

Argos do them from about £20

As do halfords
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #11
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
I don't know where you are looking but eBay is awash with jacks from about £10

Argos do them from about £20

As do halfords
...and Lidl every now and again at £19.99, should also get some axle stands.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #12
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn't look at generic jacks, thinking it would be better to carry one in the car (and take one wheel as a psuedo spare on longer journeys)
Anyone seen an x3 specific scissor jack for sale?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Kermit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive Shadow Edition

My view is for piece of mind and if it's a good deal, why not.

If I lived in the Scottish Highlands, yes I'd get some for winter. Do you *need* them south of the M4? No, I don't think you do. Standard tyres driven through four wheels stop and go just fine in the vast majority of weather we get down here. Handling of wet roads is just as dependant on tread depth as compound, and if it snows you're still not going to get anywhere because you'll be trapped behind a load of 320d and C220 drivers who will be stuck.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
I've got the halfords trolley jack for swapping the lot and a £10 scissor jack for emergencies.

Has done me for years.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #15
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@ranger6 where did you get the scissor jack? Do i need something specific for the F25.
(sorry for the newbie question)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

The wording "winter tyres" can be a little misleading because many motorists wrongly assume they are meant only for snow, slushy, icy conditions, when in fact they are recommended for temperatures below + 7 Degrees C even when the road surface is completely dry. For this reason some companies (not Michelin) now call them "cold weather" tyres.

Cold weather tyres become more effective than summer tyres when temperatures fall below +7 degrees centigrade, because they have a different compound that stays flexible/sticky and grips the road surface in these lower temperatures, whereas the summer tyre compound gets harder and less grippier and the braking distance is longer as the temperature drops.

Michelin have now developed a CrossClimate tyre that is ideal in the southern UK. Unfortunately they are not made in too many sizes.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

The contents of this link are worth reading..

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lear...re-regulations

Last edited by Peter_R; 03-13-2016 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Additional link.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #17
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for your views everyone. So for those that did fit winter tyres, which make, size and rft/non rft did you choose?
Do you wish you had made a different choice on tyre?
I personally think a standard 17 or 18 inch with same size tyres is better than a staggered setup for the winrer months. Do you agree?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #18
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood
Thanks for your views everyone. So for those that did fit winter tyres, which make, size and rft/non rft did you choose?
Do you wish you had made a different choice on tyre?
I personally think a standard 17 or 18 inch with same size tyres is better than a staggered setup for the winrer months. Do you agree?
I would have been happy with either 17 or 18's

I watched eBay and adverts on here and pistonheads

Found a set of very lightly used genuine Bmw 18's with Dunlop winter sports (run flats)

I have previously used Pirelli sottozeros

I would happily recommend either

My unmarked set wheels/tyres retails at £2.5k .. I paid £650 which was offset by the £600 I got from the wheelset I had on my previous X1

Others on here have had similar deals I believe

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Use a standard set up (not staggered) and either 17" or 18" rims are fine. I am currently using sottozero run flats.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

If you are going to jack your car up with any 3rd party jack, it is essential to use a BMW-Rubber-Jacking-Pad, such as shown in the link below. Yes it fits ALL the latest BMW's including the F25.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Rubber...-/151104545233

Scissor jacks are not recommended for the X3, because of they are flimsy and not up to the task and fiddly to use. Remember you need to have axle stands if you are working under the vehicle.

I use the EXPERT 2 TONNE LOW PROFILE TROLLEY JACK WITH 'QUICK LIFT' FACILITY

http://www.drapertools.com/product/3...-Lift-Facility

Naturally you do not carry it around in the boot, it is meant as a garage tool, that will last a lifetime and is suitable for any car. I purchased mine from Costco at around £89. Costco also do another one that is a copy of the one above for £69. They sell out fast.

I can have my car safely up off the ground safely without any fuss and all 4 wheels changed over in approximately 30 minutes using the adaptor and Draper Jack.

So as not to damage my expensive alloys, I use 2 x ALLOY WHEEL FITTING ALIGNMENT TOOLs FOR BMW X3 F25 (2010+) LUG NUT BOLT [4E]. It can be purchased here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEE...FD0MB2N16JVZrw
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Conversely my local dealer charge me a tenner to change them over

Plus I get a free valet .. And probably drink/eat the value in complimentary coffee and croissants

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:05 AM   #22
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Conversely my local dealer charge me a tenner to change them over

Plus I get a free valet .. And probably drink/eat the value in complimentary coffee and croissants
Mine does it free gratis. In fact there are two who will, but I do not wish to faff about dropping the seats down and loading and unloading big heavy 19" staggered tyres and driving the 8 miles. It is much better to do it oneself at one's convenience.

Yes the best dealers such as ours offer all the niceties to go with it, but I can have all that convenience with wifey serving me at home.
Appreciate 0