BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Dashcam: What, where, how much, etc

Anyone uses a dashcam on their F25? I'd like to get one, but I'd like it to be discreet and well integrated. I'm thinking of trying to mount it behind the mirror, but I wonder where to source the power for it...

So, anyone has one installed? Suggestions?
      04-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I use a dash-cam but it's a bit big like like half a iphone, I chose it because it has a screen at the back so that I could easily adjust it when it's out of focus.

If you want a dash cam that is small and discrete, I would suggest blackvue.
      04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Try a GoPro they are small and have lots of mounting options. The new GoPro 3 Black comes with a remote
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

Check out Blackvue.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
FHK11
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini

I have the Itronics ITB-100HD and it works quite well day and night. GPS is embedded into the dashcam. Not the cheapest though and it doesn't come with a screen for viewing in the car.

Here is a good site for all of the options out in the marketplace.
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Would anyone know how to wire a dashcam up (probably behind the rear view mirror) so as to conceal all the wires and not tie up the front 12v socket?
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
FHK11
Registered
Rep

I used the following items on my Mini Cooper to conceal the wire from rear view mirror area down to the fuse box. The wire from Metra was thinner than the original that came with my dashcam and so it was easy to tuck into the rubber strip and A pillar

- Metra Installation Kit for Most 12V Radar Detectors
- Add-A-Circuit Kit for ATM fuses
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Would doing something like this be relatively easy for someone who has very little knowledge when it comes to electronics?
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I seem to have narrowed it down to a "JAEWONCNC IROAD IONE-3800FU" -- seems affordable, and the specs are OK. My nose tells me the forum of dashcam is full of FUD from people competing with each others, and their 'reports' can't be trusted...

It appears that it would be reasonably out of the view behind the mirror, on the side where the sensor isn't, and could even sit just under the "dark band" of my windscreen...

Now before I buy I'll see how I can hook it up, where the fuse box is, etc...
      04-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
FHK11
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
Would doing something like this be relatively easy for someone who has very little knowledge when it comes to electronics?
Maybe not with very little knowledge of electronics. It's not terribly difficult to do but will require some research in knowing which fuse to use (mine is connected to the one for the radio where the power stays on for an extra ~20 minutes after locking doors) and where you plan to connect to ground. You wouldn't want to connect to something that's constantly stays powered on unless it's connected to a smart device.

It's probably not worth messing around to save a few dollars. Perhaps the easiest way to decide is to get a quote from an auto stereo installer. For a pro it really shouldn't take more than an hour since it's just like hardwiring a portable GPS or a radar detector.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I've tracked down a few threads mentioning how to install radar detectors, it seems reasonably trivial to hook up to the overhead lamp wires. Just need a small 12V->5V DC-DC to hide in there if needed.
I've ordered the camera, we'll see when it arrives. At the very least I'll hack it so it's a bit less visible.
      04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've got the DVR 027 720p mounted by the mirror and I run the cable up under the roof, down the A pillar, under the footwell and it plugs into the lighter.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
I've tracked down a few threads mentioning how to install radar detectors, it seems reasonably trivial to hook up to the overhead lamp wires. Just need a small 12V->5V DC-DC to hide in there if needed.
I've ordered the camera, we'll see when it arrives. At the very least I'll hack it so it's a bit less visible.
Fancy posting an idiots guide with pictures??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fancy posting an idiots guide with pictures??
I'll definitely document it.

Here's already a blob on what I use to get 5V out if 12: https://plus.google.com/111387094029...ts/hs5RpsgR4BZ

With a little bit of heatshrink, it's as small as a fuse, and very efficient (no heat)
      04-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll probably get one of these...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/blackVue-wi-fi-dashcam.html

It seems the way that you are meant to wire it up is run the included power magic adaptor from a couple of fuses and then tunnel the wire up the pillar.

Has anyone tried to hide a wire up the pillar & along the top of the windscreen in an F25 before?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Many of these cams have parking mode - meaning they are always on, recording and writing to buffer all the time and only copying footage to card when motion or movement is detected.

Given how complex the X3 is, would the battery be able to support one of these cameras whilst the engine is off for any extended period of time before the battery discharge device kills power to it to stop the car from not starting??
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll probably get one of these...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/blackVue-wi-fi-dashcam.html

It seems the way that you are meant to wire it up is run the included power magic adaptor from a couple of fuses and then tunnel the wire up the pillar.

Has anyone tried to hide a wire up the pillar & along the top of the windscreen in an F25 before?
That one doesn't have fantastic reviews somehow, apparently the wifi barely works, and the image quality is so-so...

I've seen a few posts related to hidding wires on the F25, mostly for people installing radar detectors... I've even seen a guy routing it all back to... the trunk fuse box, for some bizarre reason

Quite frankly I quite prefer hooking into the ceiling electrics...
      04-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Many of these cams have parking mode - meaning they are always on, recording and writing to buffer all the time and only copying footage to card when motion or movement is detected.

Given how complex the X3 is, would the battery be able to support one of these cameras whilst the engine is off for any extended period of time before the battery discharge device kills power to it to stop the car from not starting??
Yes and yes, the X3 is quite sensitive to battery drain, despite the huge battery... I had an ODBII bluetooth adapter that was sucking 80mA@12V and it triggered the alert (it disables some system until you get in the car, it doesn't prevent the car from going or anything).

I hope the camera parking mode uses less power, thats why I plan to use a clean DC-DC switcher to 5V, and possibly mod the camera itself if it uses a lossy linear regulator. It's main rail is probably 3.3 anyway.

I will hook it to my bench power supply and run tests in it before it even approaches the car :-)
      04-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Precisely due to this concern, some have come out with battery packs for dashcams. I surmise you could charge it while the car is running, or when you're home. Like an uninterruptible backup power system
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Yes and yes, the X3 is quite sensitive to battery drain, despite the huge battery... I had an ODBII bluetooth adapter that was sucking 80mA@12V and it triggered the alert (it disables some system until you get in the car, it doesn't prevent the car from going or anything).

I hope the camera parking mode uses less power, thats why I plan to use a clean DC-DC switcher to 5V, and possibly mod the camera itself if it uses a lossy linear regulator. It's main rail is probably 3.3 anyway.

I will hook it to my bench power supply and run tests in it before it even approaches the car :-)
The parking mode uses a lot of power as well so be careful. The only quick work around I can think of is permanently attaching a 6W solar panel trickle charger to help top-up the battery as the camera eats some power away
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That one doesn't have fantastic reviews somehow, apparently the wifi barely works, and the image quality is so-so...

I've seen a few posts related to hidding wires on the F25, mostly for people installing radar detectors... I've even seen a guy routing it all back to... the trunk fuse box, for some bizarre reason

Quite frankly I quite prefer hooking into the ceiling electrics...
I was doing some research and found there is a firmware update that increases the bit rate and fixes the picture quality issue. Wifi while slow still functions...

Are there any good quality alternatives that have GPS, WiFi & Parking mode?
Appreciate 0