BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-03-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
AndresReyesDev
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 i28

Upgrade the firmware of all modules

Hi guys,

I have a X3 2011 iDrive28 F25 and I want to upgrade all the components so I bought a ENET cable on Amazon and I will download the latest version of E-SYS available online but I'm confuse about some things:

1. I need to get an external charger for the car (security measure) but I don't know which one is the most affordable option. Do you recommend or know about a cheap option for this? Hopefully something that I can plug to the wall and then to the car battery. Probably I will update one or two component per session to see how it works, so I don't need something for long sessions.

2. Some guys says that it's possible to update all the modules with the engine running with the exception of the ECU (or KOMBI, I think). Is that real?

3. It's this procedure just update and then use or I need to reprograme something? (I read for example something about update the Airbags and you need to do something after).

4. If you had to choose which components to upgrade because they are really necessary, which ones would you upgrade? It is very likely that there are some that are not necessary to upgrade and maybe it would just be a risk or time wasted.

5. Finally, I've tried to read online the options and there is a lot of information and I dont want to brick the car. Any good manual of the procedure in this model?

Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to answer some or all of my questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
There are dependencies with many of the modules that interface with each other and some have to be done in a certain order so their versions match. It's pretty risky for a newb since you could brick one or more and may need to have it towed to someone that knows what they're doing to fix it and or replaced bricked modules so your concern is smart. IMHO, I wouldn't go flashing modules in a perfectly working vehicle
Is there something you know the updated firmware is going to resolve?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #3
AndresReyesDev
Rep

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have problems with downshifts in my vehicle because from first to second it jerks (it doesn't always happen but it has become more frequent) and when braking from second to first it brakes fast (as if someone is pushing it backwards). It also feels heavy in low gears.

I changed the gearbox fluid, gearbox filter and transfer case fluid and the problem persists. Finally, someone pointed out to me that this could be a possible solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:24 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I seriously doubt a firmware update will resolve your issues, it's been shifting properly for the last 12 years, right
Did you calibrate the transfer box after the fluid change?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 06:29 PM   #5
AndresReyesDev
Rep

I have had the car for the last 4 months and it has been a pain in the ass. I did the transfer case fluid at a shop here in Toronto, but I don't think they do reprogramming or calibrate the component.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:14 PM   #6
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresReyesDev View Post
I have had the car for the last 4 months and it has been a pain in the ass. I did the transfer case fluid at a shop here in Toronto, but I don't think they do reprogramming or calibrate the component.
Most indy shops that don't specialize BMWs don't know how to do the oil calibration. I would recommend having the transmission calibrated after a transfer case fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 12:08 AM   #7
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

The easiest way to perform updates is to use ISTA+. ISTA+ is what dealers use. E-Sys is what they use at the factory. You won't get as much control but it's much easier to use.

Yes, a good 13.5-14.0V 30A or higher power supply is necessary. You could risk it and use jumper leads to jump off another running car but I personally wouldn't do that. It can take a really long time.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 07:27 PM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have problems with downshifts in my vehicle because from first to second it jerks (it doesn't always happen but it has become more frequent) and when braking from second to first it brakes fast (as if someone is pushing it backwards). It also feels heavy in low gears.

I changed the gearbox fluid, gearbox filter and transfer case fluid and the problem persists. Finally, someone pointed out to me that this could be a possible solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I seriously doubt a firmware update will resolve your issues, it's been shifting properly for the last 12 years, right
Did you calibrate the transfer box after the fluid change?
Pungo is correct. Firmware update is unlikely to resolve your transmission issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
The easiest way to perform updates is to use ISTA+. ISTA+ is what dealers use. E-Sys is what they use at the factory. You won't get as much control but it's much easier to use.

Yes, a good 13.5-14.0V 30A or higher power supply is necessary. You could risk it and use jumper leads to jump off another running car but I personally wouldn't do that. It can take a really long time.
ISTA+ is the best way to do updates because it automates all of the updates.

So when I flashed the firmware, I just jumped the car off another F chassis vehicle. It was fine. The firmware update took about an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 06:34 AM   #9
Everglide
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Most indy shops that don't specialize BMWs don't know how to do the oil calibration. I would recommend having the transmission calibrated after a transfer case fluid change.
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread....how do you calibrate the transmission after a fulid change please?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:45 AM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglide View Post
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread....how do you calibrate the transmission after a fulid change please?

Thank you.
I've never heard of calibrate the transmission. There's something called reset transmission adaptions, but you only do that after certain internal transmission work, never just a trans fluid change.
You do calibrate the transfer box after changing the fluid in it, that's why I mentioned it to the OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
paranoidandroid
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i (F25)

When i changed my trans fluid/transmission pan the car shifted terribly for 700 miles ( nearly 2.5 tanks of fuel), in particular between 1-3 gear. 2nd gear was awful.

Then it stopped and has worked perfectly since then. 130K miles. It takes time to sort out, just don't drive it like you stole it.

Make sure there is enough fluid. The shop indicated no metal flakes or glitter of any kind.

Last edited by paranoidandroid; 08-17-2023 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: fixed typo of plan to pan
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:40 PM   #12
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidandroid View Post
When i changed my trans fluid/transmission plan the car shifted terribly for 700 miles
What do you mean by plan?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:58 PM   #13
paranoidandroid
Rep

mispelling. I meant pan.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:22 AM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mispelling. I meant pan.
Ok, that makes more sense, though I've never seen a trans shift terribly after a fresh fluid change, if anything they shift smoother. Did you reset the trans adaptions?
The only other thing I can think of is the fluid was so overdue, it caused shifting problems until the trans adapted to proper fluid, strange
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:37 PM   #15
paranoidandroid
Rep

When I say terribly, i mean it either shifted early or late, and exclusively between 1-2 and 2-3. 3-4 and up was fine. It also hard shifted, very abruptly, like a 1990 Ford Taurus. It is as was described on numerous forums so I was only annoyed and not surprised. My BMW independent said to keep driving city as much as possible and it would go away after a few tanks of gas, and he was dead on.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:27 PM   #16
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I say terribly, i mean it either shifted early or late, and exclusively between 1-2 and 2-3. 3-4 and up was fine. It also hard shifted, very abruptly, like a 1990 Ford Taurus. It is as was described on numerous forums so I was only annoyed and not surprised. My BMW independent said to keep driving city as much as possible and it would go away after a few tanks of gas, and he was dead on.
Typically, if the trans shifts differently after changing the fluid, you waited too long and or it has been driven very hard. How many miles was on the fluid? Which fluid did you use to fill it back up?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:01 PM   #17
paranoidandroid
Rep

The car has 130K miles and i suspect it was never changed. I've owned it for 2K miles. Indy used LiquidMoly. The old fluid was dark but no flakes of any kind.

BMW says the fluid is lifetime. ZF says 80K. I went by ZF's recommendation to change the fluid.

Considering it shifts normally on all gears now I think the car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #18
slowblackx3f25
xdriv33
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW x3 F25 xDrive28i xLine

Garage List
2017 BMW x3  [0.00]
Quote:
please take it to RMP Motors in Etobicoke.
or BMwizard... only shops I trust with my BMW's and iGarage (Markham, ON).