BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-09-2023, 08:31 PM   #1
apanner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2013

Exclamation X3-2013 valvetronic servomotor failed

Hi..

My first car BMW x3 2013 i28-125k- dumped me in the middle of trip.
First error came: drivetrain malfunction maximum output not available drive moderately.

Then I went to the gas station before stopping. I got an error : don't stop the engine
it will not restart.

i stopped.. then its limp mode.. not able to start for 10 mins..

then its started.. parked in parking. towed BMW dealership.

They gave report

"Scanned vehicle, faults stored for valvetronic servomotor activation and signal. Run ABL, checked connections from VVT to DME,
connections OK, checked for voltage from DME, no supply voltage from DME measured.

Removed harness for VVT, checked harness continuity, continuity OK.

ABL determined valvetronic servomotor is faulty, replacement
required
. Due to common failure of VVT and connector eccentric shaft, replacement of all components together required.

Failed VVT often also causes DME to fail internally, if faults remain following VVT parts replacement, DME replacement is required as
well."

and gave me estimation for 5.5k to fix ...insane dealership rates

I was shocked... i bought this car for 15k.only... I quickly checked parts rates online. its under 500$. spoke to local mechanics it's under 1k fix

My question is... is it ok to go with non dealer mechanics for car service..
my issues are very major or minor...

please guide me

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
You could probably even find the part cheaper. When my valvetronic motor failed on my N55, I found one for $80 used on eBay but in working order. I coded it with my handheld OBD II reader and the car was all set.

If you’re even somewhat mechanically inclined, you could probably do the job yourself. But since you’re inquiring into a non-dealer mechanic, I believe it should be fine. It really isn’t too bad of a job to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:45 AM   #3
apanner
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2013

bmw x3 failed story continues.... local mechanics said .. need to replace the engine... due to timing chain very loose .. missing timing ... no compression ... i dont know what to do....he said valavotronic motor working ...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Do you have more than one shop indicating to you timing chain issue? If only one, get opinion #2.

The 4 cyl motors built prior to 2015 are known to have suffered issues related to the timing chain, chain guides, etc. there was a class action lawsuit by a number of sedan owners…as I recall an extended warranty was given, no recall however. The timing related components were redesigned in 2015/16 as I recall.
Appreciate 0