BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2023, 09:59 PM   #1
TBucher
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 35I

Unhappy MHD Stage 1 Throttle Closures

HELP NEEDED! The car is a 2014 BMW X3 35i with a PWG wastegate. Mods are a Remus axle back exhaust, a BMS intake, and a VRSF charge pipe. all fluids were changed along with new plugs and coils. Had top-tier 93 octane in the tank for both of these logs. I have no error codes.
https://datazap.me/u/tbucher/stage-0...og=0&data=3-17 This log is MHD stage 0 with medium pops for .8 seconds and overrun braap long. 93 octane was in the tank.
https://datazap.me/u/tbucher/stage-1?log=0&data=3-17 This is MHD stage 1 91 octane. The run was done with 93 in the tank with the same 0.8-second pops and overrun braap on long.
The throttle and fuel cuts are noticeable. Even the one throttle cut I got on the stage 0 map was noticeable

The "Boost" pressure is much higher than the "Boost Mani" pressure is that normal? And what could possibly be causing these throttle and fuel cuts? I am fresh out of ideas. Possibly need an upgraded diverter valve?

The car has 120k miles and is now out of warranty has been very well taken care of for its entire life and the motor is healthy. All fluids, plugs, and coils were changed before tuning began, Since having this issue Boost solenoid and vacuum lines on the boost solenoid have been changed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:44 PM   #2
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

It's normal for boost in the charge pipe to be higher than boost in the intake manifold when the throttle is closing. The issue is even boost in the manifold is above target, leading to the closures. For whatever reason, your vehicle is making more boost than the average vehicle, possibly due to the intake or even to a small extent, the axle-back. Has the turbo ever been worked on where the wastegate actuator may have been set tighter than stock? It may need a custom tune or you could try BM3.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:06 PM   #3
TBucher
Registered
Rep

Turbo has never been worked on. Should I try telling the ots tune I have an aftermarket high flow cat to account for the extra airflow? My understanding was that it would be an issue with the dv or wastegate allowing the turbo to make more boost than it should be. Thank you for responding and for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:10 PM   #4
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBucher View Post
Turbo has never been worked on. Should I try telling the ots tune I have an aftermarket high flow cat to account for the extra airflow? Thank you for responding and for the insight!
Hmmm I'm not really sure what the differences are between the maps. You don't want the higher boost or more aggressive timing of a stage 2 map but if there is an option for a stage 1 with a high flow catted downpipe, that'd be worth trying.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:11 PM   #5
TBucher
Registered
Rep

My understanding was that it was an issue with the wastegate or dv allowing the turbo to make more boost than it should is that incorrect? bradsm87

Last edited by TBucher; 08-07-2023 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBucher View Post
My understanding was that it was an issue with the wastegate or dv allowing the turbo to make more boost than it should is that incorrect? bradsm87
Yeah pretty much. Wastegate, freer exhaust flow or to a lesser extent, freer intake flow, but the stock intake is pretty good so maybe not the last one. The DV should always be closed under full throttle so shouldn't be that.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 12:13 AM   #7
TBucher
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Yeah pretty much. Wastegate, freer exhaust flow or to a lesser extent, freer intake flow, but the stock intake is pretty good so maybe not the last one. The DV should always be closed under full throttle so shouldn't be that.
Very helpful thank you! Will try selecting the setting for a high flow catted down pipe in the stage 1 mhd map tomorrow
Appreciate 0