BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Trailer hitch issue?

I have a question for those who have installed the USA BMW trailer hitch on their X3. With the receiver and tongue/ball in place, I get the collision avoidance beeps whenever in reverse. I thought the purpose of the dealer software upgrade/coding was to turn off the beeps whenever the hitch and receiver is in place - is something mis-coded on my X3?

Thanks,

Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

The beeps only get deactivated if you have an electrical connector from the trailer plugged into the wiring harness.
      04-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok. Good to know. Guess I have to put on earplugs while backing up to the trailer to make the connection. This provides incentive to get much faster in the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Even if you need to do it each time you select the reverse gear, did you know you can turn off the collision beep? There's a button just below the "Normal/Sport" selector left to the gear stick.

Last edited by Alligator69; 04-14-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Mike_C
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i,CarbonBl,M Sport

Question Re-programming the X3 w\ hitch

I opted for the OEM Towing &Transport for '13 X3, dealer installed. It looks very cool, (the tongue adaptor is removable, sleek & neat when not in use), except the re-programming to get juice in the electrical connectors (4 & 6 pins) and disable the backup sensors is a bitch. The re-programming encounters an error for one of the car's modules and the dealer is trying for 2 days to get it working. What is the post factory installation @ Spartanburg, not available for Canada :-( , doing right that independent dealers can't? Anybody heard of this and knows a fix?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had an independent install the hitch. The were able to update most of the modules but... Their Autologic system does not yet have the complete code set for the X3 with hitch - new to the 2011 model. So I had to get some modules done at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
I have a question for those who have installed the USA BMW trailer hitch on their X3. With the receiver and tongue/ball in place, I get the collision avoidance beeps whenever in reverse. I thought the purpose of the dealer software upgrade/coding was to turn off the beeps whenever the hitch and receiver is in place - is something mis-coded on my X3?

Thanks,

Mark
Kind of a peculiar thing, but mine doesn't mind the hitch installed when the ball is mounted in the low position, but beeps up a storm if the ball is in the high position. I've pulled two trailers, and had to flip the hitch for the trailer with the bigger tires. What was once quiet when in reverse is now noisy ...

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Mike_C
Registered
Canada
Rep

Tow & Transport system

Here are the pics for the X3 hitch mount without and with the tongue adaptor;
I have not yet used it to launch my ski. I inverted the ball mount upwards to gain some height. We'll see how it goes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Kind of a peculiar thing, but mine doesn't mind the hitch installed when the ball is mounted in the low position, but beeps up a storm if the ball is in the high position. I've pulled two trailers, and had to flip the hitch for the trailer with the bigger tires. What was once quiet when in reverse is now noisy ...
In the low position the ball must be out of range of the sensors.
      06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Mike_C,

Did you get the tongue adapter from BMW or aftermarket? If you got it from BMW can you measure the distance between the pin hole and the ball hole? I'm trying to determine if the BMW adapter is special and is worth paying the extra $$ for or if a different adapter will work the same. I'm a little concerned with the length since the receiver starts out so far behind the axle.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Mike_C
Registered
Canada
Rep

Finally I had the chance to use the hitch and launch my ski.
Amazingly, the re-programming seemed to have worked and even with the ball mount upwards, when in reverse it didn't beep and the camera was on, as it should. Also the towing was smooth and pleasant, in spite of the relatively longer hitch.
Regarding the hitch (called Towing & Transport system), yes it is an original BMW OEM PN 82712157704.
The diagonal distance between the pinhole and the snap-in hitch hold is 10”. (approx 8” from the bumper). The distance between the pinhole and the ball mount is standard 8 ¼“.
Appreciate 0