BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #199
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
It is easy to adjust the closing of the door a little if the seals aren't quite touching the body. Fortunately I don't have the noise issue on mine, except when there is a hurricane blowing!
Is this easy to do for a novice or should I let the dealer carry it out?
My drivers side door makes a noise when I drive over bumps, almost as if it's not shut properly.It seems to be slightly better now it's warmer, so i assume it's not shutting as tight / close as it should be and therefore more noticeable during the colder months.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #200
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Is this easy to do for a novice or should I let the dealer carry it out?
My drivers side door makes a noise when I drive over bumps, almost as if it's not shut properly.It seems to be slightly better now it's warmer, so i assume it's not shutting as tight / close as it should be and therefore more noticeable during the colder months.
I am not a mechanic, but I am quite practical and I found it easy to adjust. There is a Torx screw on the door catch fitted to the door jam. I used masking tape to tape around the catch plate before making any adjustments. This was to enable me to return the plate to the original position if needed. The screw is tight, so a well fitting driver is required to loosen the screw partially. I then gently tapped the plate in making sure the vertical position was maintained. I tried just 2mm and then re-tightened the screw. I left the tape in place until I was satisfied that the door was closing properly and that it was perfectly flush with the other door. The job took about 10 minutes. The most important thing is to be able to get the catch plate back in the original position should you not be able to get an improved adjustment. I was going to use a marker pen to draw around the plate, but I was worried that I might have trouble cleaning it off when done. Masking just the bottom and outside edge of the plate is sufficient.

If you are not sure, I would take it to the dealer.

Hope this helps!
Ian
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #201
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I am not a mechanic, but I am quite practical and I found it easy to adjust. There is a Torx screw on the door catch fitted to the door jam. I used masking tape to tape around the catch plate before making any adjustments. This was to enable me to return the plate to the original position if needed. The screw is tight, so a well fitting driver is required to loosen the screw partially. I then gently tapped the plate in making sure the vertical position was maintained. I tried just 2mm and then re-tightened the screw. I left the tape in place until I was satisfied that the door was closing properly and that it was perfectly flush with the other door. The job took about 10 minutes. The most important thing is to be able to get the catch plate back in the original position should you not be able to get an improved adjustment. I was going to use a marker pen to draw around the plate, but I was worried that I might have trouble cleaning it off when done. Masking just the bottom and outside edge of the plate is sufficient.

If you are not sure, I would take it to the dealer.

Hope this helps!
Ian
Thanks for the reply. I will take a look and if I'm not 100% sure what I am doing, then I will mention it on my next visit to the dealer. At least it doesn't sound like a major job either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #202
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Just adding to this long thread of sufferers of wind noise...

Got my X3 30D second hand in August, and noticed from day 1 a whistling sound from the passenger side, B pillar area when going faster than 90 kph.

The dealer replaced the two windscreen trim pieces to no avail, and I have tried all the various proposals suggested here myself (tightening door lock strike plate, moving the rubber scraper as per CliveM's proposal, and taped the entire door and mirror up, all with no effect: whistling sound remains.

The dealer had the car 4 days this week, tried to diagnose it and ultimately failed, and cite that the 2 year Approved Used Warranty does not cover trim (I.e. all the rubber joints) so did not replace anything.

If I could reject the car at this stage, I would! 95 % of my driving is on the motorway at speeds of 150 kph, and the whistling sound completely spoils the experience of an otherwise fantastic car.

Any new ideas, technical bulletins or updated parts that could fix this problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #203
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

I can't say on yours but my whistling noise comes from the passenger mirror cap.

Between your top and button part of the mirror cap, there's a think gap and this was what leaked air through causing the tremendous annoying amount of whistling noise.

Use some tapes to tape over and see if you can block the wind noise. If so, I would think something that can fill that gap would eliminate 100% of the noise

Hope this helps .
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:11 AM   #204
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

I managed to fix my whistling noise problem, but only after trying all other kind of fixes, proposed here. Have become an expert in removing the door panel, having done it at least 6 times by now!

The fix for me included replacing three parts as well as moving the rubber scraper as per CliveM's proposal.

51337311260 Fensterfuehrung Tuer Vorne Rechts, 41,32 EUR
51418224768 Clip Mit Dichtscheibe Natur, (25x) 16,25 EUR
51337205594 Abdichtung Spiegeldreieck Aussen Rechts, 13,47 EUR

In English, the passenger door window seal, the plastic clips with foam "washers", and the revised insulation piece for the door mirror.

In fairness, I don't know which of the pieces that actually fixed the problem: The window seal seems to fit tighter to the window, but I had previously taped it all up to no avail. The plastic clips were all replaced to ensure a better seal against the door, as my theory was that wind was entering the inside of the door and exiting the where the clips were not sealing, and finally the door mirror insulation piece was a revised part, and did include a slightly thicker shape to possibly better insulate against noise.

Really happy to have been able to fix this (2 hours, and bruised knuckles) where BMW refused/were unable to, and now enjoying the car much more.

Just goes to show that there are no inherent design flaws in the F25 (also since my drivers door was completely silent) but better fitting and revised parts can fix the problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #205
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The revised insulation for the mirror was a BMW favourite suggestion, it didn't work in my case but I've heard of others where it's worked. I hope my new 35D won't need any ogt this messing about!
      12-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #206
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought there was another thread relating to 'creaking drivers door' or at least some form of 'door seal rubbing' related thread, but I couldn't find it, so thought I would continue on this thread.

I did say previously that I would look at adjusting the door as recommended by another person on this forum, but as the issue appeared to go away during the summer months I decided to leave it alone.
Now winter is here the creaking noise from the drivers door is back and occurs whenever I go over any bumps. Could this just be the rubber seal rubbing against the frame? In which case are there any recommendations in terms of what I can use to clean the seal / frame with to eliminate the noise?
I do recall seeing someone recommended just water with a hint of washing up liquid (to help remove any wax that may be on either part), but I tried that and it didn't appear to help in any way.
Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #207
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

for those looking in the market, the LCI sorted these issues out, its so quiet!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #208
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
I thought there was another thread relating to 'creaking drivers door' or at least some form of 'door seal rubbing' related thread, but I couldn't find it, so thought I would continue on this thread.

I did say previously that I would look at adjusting the door as recommended by another person on this forum, but as the issue appeared to go away during the summer months I decided to leave it alone.
Now winter is here the creaking noise from the drivers door is back and occurs whenever I go over any bumps. Could this just be the rubber seal rubbing against the frame? In which case are there any recommendations in terms of what I can use to clean the seal / frame with to eliminate the noise?
I do recall seeing someone recommended just water with a hint of washing up liquid (to help remove any wax that may be on either part), but I tried that and it didn't appear to help in any way.
Any suggestions please?

Thanks!
What I've noticed is that putting some lubricant on the seals helps and makes the noise go away for a few weeks. Specifically something called Gummi-Pfedge, I order it from Amazon US. It needs to be applied liberally on the door seals, the rubber and the felt, on the top and sides. Also on the metal part of the body which the door seals come into contact with.

Try it out, the noise should go away.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #209
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What I've noticed is that putting some lubricant on the seals helps and makes the noise go away for a few weeks. Specifically something called Gummi-Pfedge, I order it from Amazon US. It needs to be applied liberally on the door seals, the rubber and the felt, on the top and sides. Also on the metal part of the body which the door seals come into contact with.

Try it out, the noise should go away.
Thanks, I will give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #210
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So far so good!
Thanks akshay for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #211
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
for those looking in the market, the LCI sorted these issues out, its so quiet!
Well my LCI still suffers from terrible wind noise even in moderately high winds. Havent tried anything yet but I would urge people to test drive a vehicle that is atleast 2-3k miles old since these issues crop up only later and may not be noticeable when brand new .
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #212
uvfight
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

my 2011 the side sill on the driver side is pealing off. any body the same?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #213
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvfight View Post
my 2011 the side sill on the driver side is pealing off. any body the same?
common issue buddy happening already on my brand new 2015 , wondering if it might be contributing to heavy wind noise in some way
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #214
adam_l_phillips@hotmail.c
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Xline

X3 2015 has same problem

There is continual wind noise on the drivers side in the new 2015 X3 when driving above 50 mph
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #215
BrixenDK
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2015 30d Sport

Yes, same problem here, the thing i hate moste about the car. love it besides that. all my cars before this one, (and a lot cheaper cars) did have as much noice from the door.
Appreciate 0