BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

BMW Extended Warranty or Mechanical Breakdown Insurance Through Insurance Company?

So I was thinking about getting the BMW extended warranty (2 extra years, 50k extra miles) which I believe runs around $2100. I know that my insurance company offers "Mechanical Breakdown" insurance which they say can be extended for up to 7 years / 100k miles. It is around $45 per 6 month period. If that price didn't change that would only be in the neighborhood of $630 over 7 years, however I think I would reach 100k miles in 5 - 6 years. You must buy the warranty before the vehicle hits 15k miles.

My thoughts on this warranty:

- Will the premium increase as the vehicle ages?
- Will the premium increase with any claims / repairs?
- Do you have to stay insured with Geico to keep the coverage?
- Does the coverage transfer with the vehicle if it is sold?
- Will it be annoying / difficult to get repairs approved / payed for?
- What all does it cover exactly?

I wanted to see what additional thoughts / comments / questions people had regarding this warranty / coverage. I plan on calling them to ask but I figured others could provide some good questions to include too!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

Typically, there's a deductible and yes, everything that needs to get repaired has to be pre-approved first and that can def be a hassle so know what you're getting into. Other questions to ask are what their warranty excludes because if it excludes all of the major components then what's the point? i.e. i-drive, tranny, engine, turbos, diff, etc.

i recently had a problem with my car which resulted in the dealer replacing 3 injectors and the dme (which is basically the car's ecu). I'm at about 62k miles and at first they didn't realize that I have the BMW ext warranty and they wanted to charge me like $500 just to start looking for the problem. Once I told them that I have the BMW ext warranty, she was like oh, I see and said they get started on the car immediately. (you can do a search under my name for the most recent problems that I reported.) So I would say to keep this scenario in mind when deciding. Of course, my repair bill paid for the ext warranty and then some just on this one occurance and of course owning a BMW past warranty is a big no-no. Good luck.
      12-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
Typically, there's a deductible and yes, everything that needs to get repaired has to be pre-approved first and that can def be a hassle so know what you're getting into. Other questions to ask are what their warranty excludes because if it excludes all of the major components then what's the point? i.e. i-drive, tranny, engine, turbos, diff, etc.

i recently had a problem with my car which resulted in the dealer replacing 3 injectors and the dme (which is basically the car's ecu). I'm at about 62k miles and at first they didn't realize that I have the BMW ext warranty and they wanted to charge me like $500 just to start looking for the problem. Once I told them that I have the BMW ext warranty, she was like oh, I see and said they get started on the car immediately. (you can do a search under my name for the most recent problems that I reported.) So I would say to keep this scenario in mind when deciding. Of course, my repair bill paid for the ext warranty and then some just on this one occurance and of course owning a BMW past warranty is a big no-no. Good luck.
Yeah... without a doubt even the BMW extended warranty should pay for itself... People might say that doesn't make sense because warranties are designed to make money for the manufacturer. That's true, it does make them money. Because the cost to actually repair your car and what they bill you if you don't have the warranty are very very different.

I'm just wonder if the huge discount of the mechanical breakdown insurance is worthwhile over the warranty. I guess I'm going to call and see how good they pitch it to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post

The gold and platinum warranties are exclusionary. The things they don't cover are wear and tear. It is pretty comprehensive. The gold also doesn't cover the iDrive and Navigation. I got the platinum 7 year/100000 mile warranty. Make sure you shop it at other dealerships. My dealer beat my lowest price by 200 bucks. It saved me 800 bucks vs MSRP. I probably could have done better, but O well.
Appreciate 0