BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

tires for all season driving

hi, i have a 2012 x3 with the rft dunlop i think, over winter it didnt perform quite like i wanted, it slipped more than i thought it would = I would like to replace them with something that is better in winter. I dont care about performance driving but want it good in winter etc. the tire guy I talked to said he could put blizzards on but they would wear out in summer and I dont wnat to change tires every six months. I heard the michelins were a good compromise. anyone got any feedback on this? I live in chicago so weather can be a issue here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Like most people here I have a second set of wheels for winter use. All seasons will always be a compromise, less grip and more wear in summer and winter.

Most dealers will store your wheels out of seson for you
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Another +1 for dedicated summers and winters. Even budget winter tires will outperform the best all-seasons in winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Like most people here I have a second set of wheels for winter use. All seasons will always be a compromise
+1. Two sets of wheels/tires on my cars with the exception of the 1M which is stored in the winter. Superior performance year round, wish more Americans did this, particularly for winter...it would make the roads a safer place. Plus, you can better justify picking up a set of the 20" M 310 wheels for the summer, what a visual and handling treat on my M-Sport! The stock 19s alloys will serve quite well in winter use when shod with dedicated rubber for the season.
      11-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeir View Post
hi, i have a 2012 x3 with the rft dunlop i think, over winter it didnt perform quite like i wanted, it slipped more than i thought it would = I would like to replace them with something that is better in winter. I dont care about performance driving but want it good in winter etc. the tire guy I talked to said he could put blizzards on but they would wear out in summer and I dont wnat to change tires every six months. I heard the michelins were a good compromise. anyone got any feedback on this? I live in chicago so weather can be a issue here.
I have a 2006 X3 and Pirelli Scorpion STR 235/50 R 18 All Season with just about 50,000+ miles on them I went through some pretty good sized snow storms with them without any problems. The thread is just about down to the wear bars so I'm going to replace them with the same brand I've been using with in the next few weeks. Totally satisfied with them, performance and wear.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Scorpions are nice tires for bad weather/surfaces. Really like them on a previous vehicle. Not a summer performance tire by any stretch. Unfortunately not available in the sizes for my X3. Would get them again in a heartbeat, though.
      11-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post
Another +1 for dedicated summers and winters. Even budget winter tires will outperform the best all-seasons in winter.
      12-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
bartbos1
Rep
Drives: X3

Sorry for the separate question here but I am a new member and cannot create a new thread yet.

I have signed an offer to buy a 2013 X3 xDRIVE28i and was told that the plant had run out of the standard rims and that 18" silver alloy wheels would be included on the car I would get at no additional cost. Now, they tell me that the car I will get does not come with the 18" silver alloy wheels.

I am a BMW newbie, but I think I should be asking for either a price reduction or for some addition but I'm not really sure -- What do you think about this? What should I try to get?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbos1 View Post
Sorry for the separate question here but I am a new member and cannot create a new thread yet.

I have signed an offer to buy a 2013 X3 xDRIVE28i and was told that the plant had run out of the standard rims and that 18" silver alloy wheels would be included on the car I would get at no additional cost. Now, they tell me that the car I will get does not come with the 18" silver alloy wheels.

I am a BMW newbie, but I think I should be asking for either a price reduction or for some addition but I'm not really sure -- What do you think about this? What should I try to get?
I think one of the first thing you can do in order not to annoy the very people you are asking help from is not to post the same question in multiple threads in an attempt I suspect to get your post count up to the point where you can start a new thread.

Tony
Appreciate 0