BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
oeli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4

In doubt between the lesser known local Ventura (http://www.venturatuning.nl/chiptuni...-i-184-PK.html) or AC Schnitzer. ACis significantly more expensive but takes over engine warranty. Both are based on external chips that leave the original software in place.

Didn't get comfort access. Not worth it imho. Used the surround cam when I did a test drive but wasn't too impressed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #24
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeli View Post
In doubt between the lesser known local Ventura (http://www.venturatuning.nl/chiptuni...-i-184-PK.html) or AC Schnitzer. ACis significantly more expensive but takes over engine warranty. Both are based on external chips that leave the original software in place.

Didn't get comfort access. Not worth it imho. Used the surround cam when I did a test drive but wasn't too impressed.
Those 2 options my favorite, guys think my cameras are from a satellite looking down, comfort the lights on the door, finger touch access and automatic boot lid give me a smile . Anyway Ventura chipping, never heard of them let me research if a piggyback or flash tune and reliability.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #25
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Just an update, after 6 months My HI-Fi H&K manufactured speakers are broken in and sound even better, pretty happy with the clarity and bass, more than surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #26
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Just an update, after 6 months My HI-Fi H&K manufactured speakers are broken in and sound even better, pretty happy with the clarity and bass, more than surprised.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #27
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

I never regretted I added this at the last moment. Very good sound, love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #28
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Hi all,

My wife bought a X4 35i and we had a look at the available audio systems.

Base system (6 speakers):
- 2 x sub-woofer under front seats
- 2 x wide range speaker in front doors
- 2 x wide range speaker in rear doors

Good sound, well balanced, bright and with a good definition. No distortion at high volume. Good bass, fast and precise but will lack the very low end frequencies (eg: Faithless - Reverence, missing the deep regular bass line) and power. Medium frequencies are very good, but high frequencies do not match. This system will play very well with almost all music but preferably classical, Jazz and Pop/Rock.
R&B, techno, trance, etc... will lack the power and bass as the system will not create the physical impact you would want with that type of music.

HIFI option (9 speakers and 7 channel Class-D amplifier - 205W):
- 1 x wide range speaker on top of dashboard
- 2 x tweeter in front doors
- 2 x medium in front doors
- 2 x wide range speakers in rear doors

Same as above, but better high frequencies, of course, especially because the tweeter is better placed in the front doors. Much more powerful bass with a very good definition and goes lower (Eg: I can hear the deep bass line in Faithless - Reverence). This system is really versatile and able to play everything with an equal quality.

H/K option (16 speakers and 9 channel Class-D amplifier with DSP for active filtering of each speaker - 600W):
- 1 x tweeter on top of dashboard
- 1 x medium on top of dashboard
- 2 x tweeter in rear doors
- 2 x medium in rear doors
- 2 x tweeter in D-Pillar
- 2 x medium in D-Pillar

One word: powerful!!! This system creates the physical impact you need for some music. BUT, and there's a big but, it does so by reducing the overall definition, especially in the bass that are indeed ultra powerful but lacking rapidity. This means many instruments will play the same way in the low frequencies, which is annoying with non-electronic music.
In addition, medium is not matching the bass and that's unfortunate since this is where the music lives. It is always soft to the ears, but several instruments are not soft at all, and so those are not reproduced as well as they are with the HIFI system.

On our perspective, the H/K system reduces the range of music you can listen to. If you are into electronic music mainly and want to play it (very) loud, then this is the one you want and only one.

The HIFI system has an overall better balance, and classical instruments have a better sound. This system is more natural than the H/K but not as powerful, clearly.

The base system is very good too and will be enjoyed by everyone not having specific requirements such as being heard before being seen by their neighbors when driving home :-)

Cheers

Last edited by NTTY; 04-15-2015 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #29
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
Hi all,

My wife bought a X4 35i and we had a look at the available audio systems.

Base system (6 speakers):
- 2 x wide range speaker in front doors
- 2 x wide range speaker in rear doors

Good sound, well balanced, bright and with a good definition. No distortion at high volume. Good bass, fast and precise but will lack the very low end frequencies (eg: Faithless - Reverence, missing the deep regular bass line) and power. Medium frequencies are very good, but high frequencies do not match. This system will play very well with almost all music but preferably classical, Jazz and Pop/Rock.
R&B, techno, trance, etc... will lack the power and bass as the system will not create the physical impact you would want with that type of music.

HIFI option (9 speakers and 7 channel Class-D amplifier - 205W):
- 1 x wide range speaker on top of dashboard
- 2 x wide range speakers in rear doors

Same as above, but better high frequencies, of course, especially because the tweeter is better placed in the front doors. Much more powerful bass with a very good definition and goes lower (Eg: I can hear the deep bass line in Faithless - Reverence). This system is really versatile and able to play everything with an equal quality.

H/K option (16 speakers and 9 channel Class-D amplifier with DSP for active filtering of each speaker - 600W):
- 1 x tweeter on top of dashboard
- 1 x medium on top of dashboard
- 2 x tweeter in rear doors
- 2 x medium in rear doors
- 2 x tweeter in D-Pillar
- 2 x medium in D-Pillar

One word: powerful!!! This system creates the physical impact you need for some music. BUT, and there's a big but, it does so by reducing the overall definition, especially in the bass that are indeed ultra powerful but lacking rapidity. This means many instruments will play the same way in the low frequencies, which is annoying with non-electronic music.
In addition, medium is not matching the bass and that's unfortunate since this is where the music lives. It is always soft to the ears, but several instruments are not soft at all, and so those are not reproduced as well as they are with the HIFI system.

On our perspective, the H/K system reduces the range of music you can listen to. If you are into electronic music mainly and want to play it (very) loud, then this is the one you want and only one.

The HIFI system has an overall better balance, and classical instruments have a better sound. This system is more natural than the H/K but not as powerful, clearly.

The base system is very good too and will be enjoyed by everyone not having specific requirements such as being heard before being seen by their neighbors when driving home :-)

Cheers
Have to agree HIFI is very good, interesting perspective on the HK. On the HIFI the number of speakers I counted 11 there are 4 tweeters, 4 door speakers, 2 Subwoofers, 1 central speaker. BMW says 9 so go figure.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #30
cesaroctavio_80
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 3 Series F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Have to agree HIFI is very good, interesting perspective on the HK. On the HIFI the number of speakers I counted 11 there are 4 tweeters, 4 door speakers, 2 Subwoofers, 1 central speaker. BMW says 9 so go figure.
Agree I do have HIFI and is very good option, I only think a lack of bass.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #31
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaroctavio_80 View Post
Agree I do have HIFI and is very good option, I only think a lack of bass.
If it had more bass would go crazy!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #32
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

It's not "a lack of bass", it's just that low frequency sounds are not as clear and natural sounding as they could be. What I noticed the most is that there's almost no difference between adjusting the 100hz band in the EQ vs. dialing up the bass. They should sound different as the bass control also ups frequencies below 100hz, but it just seems to increase the "boom". Once I added a real sub, you can tell a distinct difference between the two.

The HK system produces a good thump that is certainly more gratifying than your average car audio system, but I think NTTY nailed it in his description. FWIW, I'm equally unhappy with the high frequency response. Bavsound's speakers improved things a lot, but I'm still finding it a bit fatiguing. I think I need to play around with the crossover points a bit or attenuate the tweeters some to cut down the screechiness.

The Mark Levison system I heard in a Lexus was really wonderful in comparison. I wish we could get that.

It is leagues better than the Bose junk in my prior Infiniti.

Last edited by djrobx; 07-21-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #33
f4780y
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I got the HK on my X4 and am very pleased with the sound.
2001 E46 330i M54 | Orient Blue
1995 E36 318ti Compact Sport M42 | Red
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 11:37 PM   #34
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

We now have a plug and play Amp/DSP solution for HIFI systems

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1133999
Appreciate 0