BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
anthe93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650, 2016 Z4, 2004 X3

Adding K-CAN3 functionality for LED conversion

I am upgrading a F25 (2013) that had adaptive dual Xenons to adaptive LEDs. This was because of damage to the original Xenons and the desire for the facelift bumper conversion. All going well. I noticed the car had a ZGW-02 already (although no pins in spot #10 and #28 which is where K-CAN3 goes - at least based on my 650 and wiring diagrams I have poured through). I added the pins and wired a K-CAN3 bus to the headlight modules from the ZGW. Flashed the ZGW ECU and still do not see K-CAN3 in ISTA/D diagram. So naturally it says FRM cannot communicate with LED lights when I try to "teach in" the LEDs in ISTA/D. I did not add the 120ohm terminating resistor for the new CAN bus and perhaps that might help too.

So, general questions:

1. Has anyone added K-CAN3 functionality to a pre-LCI car?
2. Has anyone flashed ZGW and FRM to add LED functionality (for a 2013 vintage ZGW and FRM)?

Getting close on this project and will document after I get it all sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthe93 View Post
I am upgrading a F25 (2013) that had adaptive dual Xenons to adaptive LEDs. This was because of damage to the original Xenons and the desire for the facelift bumper conversion. All going well. I noticed the car had a ZGW-02 already (although no pins in spot #10 and #28 which is where K-CAN3 goes - at least based on my 650 and wiring diagrams I have poured through). I added the pins and wired a K-CAN3 bus to the headlight modules from the ZGW. Flashed the ZGW ECU and still do not see K-CAN3 in ISTA/D diagram. So naturally it says FRM cannot communicate with LED lights when I try to "teach in" the LEDs in ISTA/D. I did not add the 120ohm terminating resistor for the new CAN bus and perhaps that might help too.

So, general questions:

1. Has anyone added K-CAN3 functionality to a pre-LCI car?
2. Has anyone flashed ZGW and FRM to add LED functionality (for a 2013 vintage ZGW and FRM)?

Getting close on this project and will document after I get it all sorted out.
Trying to do same thing for someone and had same questions. How are u making out? Did u have to add the terminating resistor?
Appreciate 0