BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
vestaviascott
Rep
Drives: X3

iDrive Nav Screen - flaking pieces?

I have two small spots on my idrive nav screen, most prominent when the screen is off and with sunlight shining on it. This reveals what appears to the eye to be specs that glimmer much lighter than the dark opaque film layer of the screen.

At first I thought it was something like spots of coke splatter or something similar, so I wet the area a bit and rubbed it with my finger to see if the spots would lift. That only made it worse! It appears that I've rubbed off some of the film.

Anyone else encountered this issue?

Pics follow in the next post.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
vestaviascott
Rep
Drives: X3

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You have lost part of your anti-reflective coating. Odd that is was lost in spots. Maybe some cleaning chemical landed on it. There is no fix. You can get screen protectors, but all have downsides. That coating is just too delicate.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Here is the fix:
Take the screen out of the car.
Clean the anti-glare coat with "Novus" - you find it on Amazon (linky).
Here is the procedure for the CIC of e9x series (similar on f25).
No issue with glare with "bare" screen, and looks like new.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Here is the fix:
Take the screen out of the car.
Clean the anti-glare coat with "Novus" - you find it on Amazon (linky).
Here is the procedure for the CIC of e9x series (similar on f25).
No issue with glare with "bare" screen, and looks like new.
Have you done this? The screen without the coating will be very reflective. Since the F25 is not a convertible and the screen sits back in a hole instead of up on the dash like many other cars, the glare/reflection may not be bothersome, but it will be there. If I removed the coating on my 6 series convertible the screen would be nearly useless with the top down, and would reflect the sky into my eyes so badly I'd need darker sunglasses. So while it may be tolerable in the F25, it's not accurate to give the impression the coating makes no difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Have you done this? The screen without the coating will be very reflective. Since the F25 is not a convertible and the screen sits back in a hole instead of up on the dash like many other cars, the glare/reflection may not be bothersome, but it will be there. If I removed the coating on my 6 series convertible the screen would be nearly useless with the top down, and would reflect the sky into my eyes so badly I'd need darker sunglasses. So while it may be tolerable in the F25, it's not accurate to give the impression the coating makes no difference.
Done in my 335is, and to me actually it looks better than with the coating. I don't have the "tablet-like" afterthought system, but it's in a "hole" how you put it. No issues.
However, if you take the OEM anti-glare coating off (this must be done carefully so as not to scratch the actual screen - soft cloths are your friends and a bit of elbow grease), one can still apply an OEM-like antiglare coating, but you have to shop around for this, and I would do this prior to taking off the anti-glare to make sure you have the right coating before taking the OEM off. I stopped looking for this anti-glare coating as soon as I saw the results on my CIC. No need. Another option might be an anti-glare film, which if correctly applied will help against eventual scratches. This is one thing I'm contemplating, because every blue moon you run a cloth or something when cleaning the car, and you could accidentally scratch the screen if some sort of debris is caught in the cloth.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0