BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Recklesshm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci m package cabriolet

mystery oil leak rear axle 2017 x3

This sounds strange, but i noticed oil patches 3 times from under my X3 and have no idea where it's coming from? It seems to be coming from the solid rubber block on center of rear axle where you can centrally lift the rear end. The rear dif is completely dry, no oil anywhere else and just behind the block the oil went on the last bit of exhaust pipe and part of muffler. No else is there oil signs? It's as if someone soaked that block with old milky oil and put it back. I have wiped it down and will monitor it, but I want to find out where it came from and how? Only thing i did recently in that area is use the block to lift vehicle to put summer tires on. Could it be old oil sitting in there that squeezed out when i lifted it? Bought vehicle from rental company after one year use, and had inspected to make sure never had damage repair?

Thanks for any insight
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Warranty? Have them take a look. It could be blowing back from somewhere further forward or travelling down a wire or pipe before dripping onto your diff?
Appreciate 0